Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading here somewhere i cant find that a ZR-7 owner was getting 42mpg out of his car? I have had mine for a week, done 650 miles about 60% mway rarely over 70 and im struggling to get 36?

my driving style is fairly calm as im taking it easy for the first 1000 miles or so. I havent tried high octane fuel in this car yet although my other cars responded well to this, any ZR7 owners care to share their experiences so far?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi bibbyg,
I get 43ish from my 1.4 petrol ZR-7 - this is a mixture of town and motorway, I too am taking it easy for the first 1000 (done 970 miles so far) I don't find the1.4 underpowered and with that fuel economy I am well happy.

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good going! what am i doing wrong then? I pushed on home today at about 80-85 and got 37 mpg? I have double checked the trip by manually calculating the MPG and its spot on?

I just dont know whats wrong

·
Registered
27 Posts
I keep it below 70, usually about 65mph, if i did 80-85 then i guess mine might be that low?

that could be it?

dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, because at the first few weeks I kept under 70, my last message was trying to make the point that if I push it more the MPG actually went up (albeit only 0.3 of an mpg!).

I am going to have to have a set of tests on the work runs each day to evaluate this. It isnt a major problem but is the only source of disappointment im getting at the moment/

·
Registered
27 Posts
that's really odd then? what tyres are fitted to your car, i have 16'' Michelin Energy and i know this can be a factor along with tyre pressures, apparently wrong tyre pressure can make 10% difference!
The 1.4 pro_cee'd has a combined figure in the book of 46.2mpg but I can get anywhere near that either although 43mpg is not too bad.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, maybe i am heavier on the right foot than i think. I use my tomtom to beep me when im speeding so that means Im always withing 3mph of the limit. I went a week before I checked the tyres and was horrified to find them up at 42 psi! (if anything that make MPG better, less rolling resistance ) they are now at the correct 30 PSI and have the same Michelin Energy tyres but have seen no significant difference. If i thought my dealer would be interested id run it in for a check up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, think im getting somewhere now. I have realised that the reset button on the trip only resets the current display and not all parts of the trip like previous cars i've had. I reset my avg MPG and drove 11 miles to work, 7 of which on motorway, not over 60mph and never over 3000 rpm Look at the pic! it actually read 48mpg when i stopped but clicked down a tenth while idling. same run on the way home and its at 45.6mpg (its slightly uphill on the way back)

Feel relieved now I was beginning to think i had a fuel system problem! I can only presume all those times i though i was resetting the MPG I'd left the reading in, including times when i have driven 'energetically' which probably pushed the mpg down.

so a lighter right foot and proper use of the trip computer is the way to go.the manual for the car is pants tho isn't it nothing is clearly explained.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bet that's a relief! i have only reset mine twice since i got it so that's why it's seems more constant i suppose...

anyway i find myself too occupied with the fuel MPG and don't spend time enjoying driving the car so i made myself turn over to ''miles to empty'' so i don't spend all the journey looking at the MPG

Have fun driving now you sorted the fuel issue,

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes im the same - i have 'trip computer eye strain' from glancing at it all the time!!! Averaging out at 44 now so thats good. I only started my first few drives mustve been town running etc to read a low 35mpg and then as the town miles add up it would take much more motorway miles to positively affect the average. I am going to reset at each fill up so I get an idea across a variety of driving. still not seen another pro on the road yet and no more at my dealer. A guy near my mates house has a silver one but I've never seen it move yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys i thought exactly the same thing when i got my pro zr7 10 months ago done 6500 miles and average 34 to 36around town traffic excetera but on a recent run from nottingham to bridlington approx 440 miles round trip averaged 45 mpg at around 75 to 90 on the motor way so all in all fantastic car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts