Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not VW this time though... Seems that that KIA/Hyundai have been raided in relation to cheat devices.

I hope this comes to nothing (I wouldn't KIA to be lumped-in with the German emission-cheating-monkey-poisoners) but I guess some of you diesel owners might be rubbing your hands now, looking forward to a similar class action payday!

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
578 Posts
Basically everyone WAC’s cheating. We in the uk are guilty of buying wunderfuel cars and promoting ‘improvements’ in diesels.

I doubt there is a single person who bought a diesel thinking they were good for the environment. Only that cheaper fuel and higher MPG was better for themselves.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I hope this comes to nothing
Oh dear! I think we should all have a thought for the poor law firms which create these class-action suits against the climate-polluting carmakers. Apparently, many young barristers are struggling to survive on their meagre salary package, having never had a pay rise since about 1850. Indeed, there has been much talk recently of them taking strike action in pursuit of a pay increase.:giggle:

·
Registered
462 Posts
TBH and maybe sounding naive, I would be extremely surprised if Kia/Hyundai were knowingly part of anything even vaguely resembling Dieselgate.

Why would the "guilty" manufacturers share this "cheating" technology which gave them a competitive advantage over their rivals.

I recall the technology sharing arrangements which Toyota and BMW once had with regard to battery and engine technologies. Toyota at the time were regarded as best of breed for battery development and BMW for engines. The technologies which were swapped were in no way their leading technologies, but that suited both parties.

I would also point to the number of DPF issues which are often reported on this forum and other social media platforms which IMO demonstrate that Kia/Hyundai were at least doing their very best to clean up emssions.

Sticking my head above the parapet I know, but as a diesel (and Kia) fan I sincerely hope that there is no action against Kia/Hyundai in the UK or anywhere else for that matter. Although as Indalo has intimated Class Action lawyers might be chomping at the bit to get in on any action!

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
There are already cases against other manufactures such as Mercedes

VW caved in on a case in the UK giving owners around £1700 each. Despite the fact that they had not broken UK regulation...

These manufactures need to stop just paying out & fight the cases. Might cost them, but will cause a few chasers to go under & make others think twice on starting groundless claims....

TBH. IF they have broken the law, then it is the government they should be paying as they will be in a different VED class at a guess...

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
410 Posts
I always thought that in order to win a case you needed to suffer a "loss", and in the case of any defeat/cheat device the consumer actually benefited from their use and fitment. I cant figure out what their loss actually was myself.

Reactions: Gloomy Bear

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
578 Posts
The environment from a social disbenefit perspective. As has been mentioned it’s the government (ultimately the country as a whole) who lost out on VED and if there was a big enough case to answer they would be on it. But rocking the boat off big business is a totally different story.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
I always thought that in order to win a case you needed to suffer a "loss", and in the case of any defeat/cheat device the consumer actually benefited from their use and fitment. I cant figure out what their loss actually was myself.
These companies simply hope that manufacture will fold & not fight. So in effect only win as manufacture thinks it's cheaper option.

If they have cheated on the emissions, then the only loser is the government coffers.

·
Registered
985 Posts
At least some of the cheat devices reacted to specific driving patterns, only consistent with the testing process. So the efficiency numbers produced during the tests, would never be seen in real driving. Less effect to individual customers, than the benefit to the OEM on a global scale, in terms of emissions across their range.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My personal interpretation is that some of these companies would like the owners to say that they would not have bought a specific car/model had they known the truth about the emissions.

The model that I had (Not VAG) seems to have had some software installed that changed the real world settings 22 minutes after starting up, thus allowing it pass a test then revert to ‘normal’.

The car was eventually recalled for ‘improved’ software, but at no point have I considered a claim, I don’t regard myself as being out of pocket, but some of these companies are relentless.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
I was a Vw owner ,made the claim some time ago…….
ka ching😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

·
Registered
343 Posts
Surely, the real 'DieselGate' is governments encouraging millions of motorists to buy Diesel cars...

...and then arbitrarily changing the rules to make them both more expensive and more difficult to get through emissions tests.

The basic facts of Diesel engines have been known forever, you can have: -

Cheap Diesel engines
High fuel efficiency
Low emissions

Choose any two of the three!

Government 'sold' Diesel on 1 & 2 and then after the event demanded all three.

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
I purchased a Kia diesel then a VW diesel for all the good reasons but what made it worse for me was the fact in VW case after denial that there were no issues that they offered to rectify the problem which in a lot of cases lead to engine/dpf problems which once again they denied then a couple of years later offered only12 warranty on emission parts and then what?.VW as a manufacturer have proved to me that will deny issues to the customer for their profit.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,438 Posts
I read on the Skoda forum (VAG) that many diesel owners had their engine management software updated following diesel gate without their permission when their car was in for any reason. Apparently the new software negatively alters performance and cannot be reset to the original version. However the owners were given an additional 12 month warranty on the engine to show goodwill.....

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
That was years ago and that’s why I eventually got rid in case they tried to apply the so called FIX when the service was due which turned out to be a FAILURE which could NOT be fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts