Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I like to know what other owners think of the Xenons on the new Sportage. (And anyone coming up against them)

They seem a little bit bright!! So much that it doesn't seem to make much difference putting main beam on unlit roads. I've had a couple of drivers flash their lights, and wonder whether I'm just being paranoid that its because they're Xenons, or that they are set too high. The firm ride makes the band of light move around a fair amount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Esky

I have noticed the same thing. The Xeons that are on all the time (think they're called driving lights?) are very bright. So bright in fact, that when I turn on the side lights, it looks as though i have turned everything off, as the Xeons dip down slightly, and the light emitted is much less overall. I have therefore found that I hardly ever use side lights as the permanently lit Xeons are much brighter. The only occasions when im using my sides are to access the fog lights, which you cant activate without side lights on.

I do love the effect of the Xeons though, I must admit.
No one has flashed me though, might just be luck.

Dealone

·
Registered
19 Posts
I must say that I really like them. They look good and highlight the front of the car, and also it means that when I drive into my garage (which is quite dark) I don't have to 'flash' my lights to clearly see how far I am in.
Edited by: cfcnick

·
Registered
69 Posts
esky said:
or that they are set too high.
They're probably a little high. I don't have factory fitted Xenons but have changed the dips and mains to Ultra bright bulbs (The original halogens were hopeless)

The headlamp height of the Sportage is high to start off with and I've noticed I'm illuminating the oncoming driver the nearer they get. I turned the lamp height adjuster down one notch to prevent this but then I find when I flick the mains on the spread of light is lower than I would like. I'm thinking the dips and mains must move up and down on the same motor.

Dealone I'm surprised the Xenon light output drops when you flick the main beam on. My previous Mazda5 had factory fitted Xenon and they remained as bright when I had high beam on. You might try changing your main beam bulbs from Halogen to Ultra Bright types and ask the dealer to adjust the dip beam height as with factory fitted Xenons they're self levelling.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think there may be some confusion here between the LED day light running lights and Xenon head lights?

I too have changed the standard head light bulbs on my 08 Sportage for some higher output bulbs (in may case Philips + 80%) and they are a large improvement on country roads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with Blow-in they are the LED Daylight Running lights and do dip when you turn on side lights.

Remember they are daylight running lights and with them on you have no tail lights illuminated so using at night is not recommended. Should you drive around on side lights only? I personally think this is bad practice especially in fog!

As for Xenons - I have been informed that fitting these without light washers fitted to the car may be illegal? The KX3/3 have washers and Xenon bulbs. Something to do with beam patterns being affected by dirt.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Xenon HID lights MUST be fitted with washers and self-levelling by law. So, don't go changing standard lights for HID's - the car will fail it's MOT at best and you might get nicked as worst case!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts