Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is a difficult one to explain.
The car is around 16k miles now. I believe that the noise increased, but what caught my attention was that the car makes a rough noise when rolling between 20/24mph specifically. The noise goes from continuous noise to being rhythmic between those speeds. I also feel that under braking the feeling on the pedal is different around those speeds.

I dropped the car at the dealer to have a look under warranty. I have no complaints at all about the dealer. However, they believe this is all due to the tyres, something about tyre feathering. My only concern with this, if it is caused by the tyres, then why does it become rhytmic at those speeds? above and below those speeds that rhytmic noise/feel disappears.

The agreement, was that if after I swap the tyres (I'll choose a different brand/model) the same symptoms occurs, then they will have another look.

I have a 1.4 XCeed with 18" wheels. It came with Continental SportContact 5.

I know there are some topic on the regular Ceed about tyre noise.
Has anyone had anything similar to this on their XCeed?
What tyres do you have?

Thanks. Kind regards

Super Moderator
Where you get the rhythmic noise what is the road like. As we have one stretch of road where we get it. They have resurfaced the road over a old concrete surface. Which gives just the effect you describe.
Also you can notice changes in road surface between smooth tarmac & roads that are surface dressed.

It has been noted that some tyres do get louder as they wear down.

While I do not have a xceed. I changed from std kia fit tyres (despite plenty of tread left 8K miles) not long ago to cross climate 2 & they are so much quieter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where you get the rhythmic noise what is the road like. As we have one stretch of road where we get it. They have resurfaced the road over a old concrete surface. Which gives just the effect you describe.
Also you can notice changes in road surface between smooth tarmac & roads that are surface dressed.

It has been noted that some tyres do get louder as they wear down.

While I do not have a xceed. I changed from std kia fit tyres (despite plenty of tread left 8K miles) not long ago to cross climate 2 & they are so much quieter.
I did test this on multiple types of surfaces, lots of different roads. From smoother to rougher ones. The noise is still there, obviously more pronounced on the smoother ones, since I can hear it better.

May I ask why you chose all season tyres and not summer ones? Even though the UK is known for being a rainy country, the intensity of rain tends to be very minimal is this area. I wouldn't assume that we would need all season tyres

Super Moderator
I went for all season as we do get snow & a lot of sub 7C temps where we live & it's hilly. Lots of nice muddy back lanes. So need good grip. I also had all season on Stonic as std tyres, which were the same as yours were rubbish. Spun up far to easily, think I did around 3K before got shot of them.
I find all season to be good all year round.

Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
I would give a another vote fo the cross climate 2 tyres. I'd rather go for something that was safe all year, rather than something that tried to kill me on those days we do get snow.

Registered
Xceed 3 Isg 1.4 2019
I too have a 1.4 2019 Xceed with 18鈥 wheels fitted with Continental Contact tyres and have a similar problem. I鈥檝e had this rhythmic noise since a got my car second-hand from our local Kia dealer last May. I鈥檝e never been able to work out what鈥檚 causing it, but last week I had to get a front tyre replaced because of a puncture, and one of the guys at the tyre fitters asked if I was getting a rhythmic noise while driving and pointed out that both of my rear tyres were wearing unevenly on the inside edge. He suggested that I carry on driving on these tyres for another few thousand miles because there is still plenty of wear left, and then change them.

I鈥榤 wondering if changing the tyres to another make will help as iooi has found, or will they start doing the same once they start wearing down. I don鈥檛 know whether to contact the dealer to report it as a fault with the car, or just assume it鈥檚 the make of the tyres.

Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
Warranty wise.
Tyres are covered by the tyre manufacturer鈥檚 warranty.
Wheel balance and steering alignment - are covered for the first 1000 miles or one month

Did tyre place not offer to check tracking?

Registered
Xceed 3 Isg 1.4 2019
No mention of checking the tracking. I鈥檇 only gone there for a tyre change, and it was a different guy who mentioned the rear tyre wear to the one changing the tyre. So if I take the car to the Kia dealer, I鈥檓 going to get charged to check it even though it鈥檚 probably been a problem since I got the car from them?

Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
...and pointed out that both of my rear tyres were wearing unevenly on the inside edge.
Wear on the inside edge of tyres is often ascribed to straddling asphalt speed humps. Or the wheels being "toe out" or running excessive positive camber. The Xceed has all round independent suspension so I would have thought will have adjustment for toe on the rear (as well as the front, of course) but maybe not for camber. I'd recommend going to a proper four wheel laser alignment place where you can get a full printout of all the numbers.

As another thought, the 18" wheels have ridiculously wide 235 section tyres, I imagine they must scrub quite badly during low speed manoeuvring at full lock, although I appreciate this won't be affecting the rears!

[oh, and I am another owner on CrossClimates... 馃榿]

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
Hi all,
This is a difficult one to explain.
The car is around 16k miles now. I believe that the noise increased, but what caught my attention was that the car makes a rough noise when rolling between 20/24mph specifically. The noise goes from continuous noise to being rhythmic between those speeds. I also feel that under braking the feeling on the pedal is different around those speeds.

I dropped the car at the dealer to have a look under warranty. I have no complaints at all about the dealer. However, they believe this is all due to the tyres, something about tyre feathering. My only concern with this, if it is caused by the tyres, then why does it become rhytmic at those speeds? above and below those speeds that rhytmic noise/feel disappears.

The agreement, was that if after I swap the tyres (I'll choose a different brand/model) the same symptoms occurs, then they will have another look.

I have a 1.4 XCeed with 18" wheels. It came with Continental SportContact 5.

I know there are some topic on the regular Ceed about tyre noise.
Has anyone had anything similar to this on their XCeed?
What tyres do you have?

Thanks. Kind regards
I had just this problem on my Niro, about 12 months after I got it. In my case the sound was similar to what you hear when you "riffle" a ream of paper, but more rhythmic. The tyre expert at our local independent garage spotted the defect, known as "stepping" in the trade apparently, and immediately checked the tracking. It was out by a small amount and one tyre showed signs of impact damage on the tread (probably caused by a raised manhole cover). I replaced the tyre and had the tracking reset and all was peace and quiet.

Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
both of my rear tyres were wearing unevenly on the inside edge.
Wear on the inside edge of tyres is often ascribed to straddling asphalt speed humps. Or the wheels being "toe out" or running excessive positive camber.
Negative camber will wear the inner edge of the tyres. Its quite common for cars to run negative camber on the rear axle AND why most user manuals suggest tyre rotation/swapping front to rear on directional tyres to even out wear. A couple of degrees will give noticeable wear and is completely normal for cars running this camber (but I'm not sure of the specs on an Xceed)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went for all season as we do get snow & a lot of sub 7C temps where we live & it's hilly. Lots of nice muddy back lanes. So need good grip. I also had all season on Stonic as std tyres, which were the same as yours were rubbish. Spun up far to easily, think I did around 3K before got shot of them.
I find all season to be good all year round.
I would give a another vote fo the cross climate 2 tyres. I'd rather go for something that was safe all year, rather than something that tried to kill me on those days we do get snow.
Understood and totally agree with both. I think I get snow once a year and lasts for 1 or 2 days where I live (EastHampshire), hence why I don't think the CrossClimate are the best for me.

I too have a 1.4 2019 Xceed with 18鈥 wheels fitted with Continental Contact tyres and have a similar problem. I鈥檝e had this rhythmic noise since a got my car second-hand from our local Kia dealer last May. I鈥檝e never been able to work out what鈥檚 causing it, but last week I had to get a front tyre replaced because of a puncture, and one of the guys at the tyre fitters asked if I was getting a rhythmic noise while driving and pointed out that both of my rear tyres were wearing unevenly on the inside edge. He suggested that I carry on driving on these tyres for another few thousand miles because there is still plenty of wear left, and then change them.

I鈥榤 wondering if changing the tyres to another make will help as iooi has found, or will they start doing the same once they start wearing down. I don鈥檛 know whether to contact the dealer to report it as a fault with the car, or just assume it鈥檚 the make of the tyres.

Any suggestions?
I had just this problem on my Niro, about 12 months after I got it. In my case the sound was similar to what you hear when you "riffle" a ream of paper, but more rhythmic. The tyre expert at our local independent garage spotted the defect, known as "stepping" in the trade apparently, and immediately checked the tracking. It was out by a small amount and one tyre showed signs of impact damage on the tread (probably caused by a raised manhole cover). I replaced the tyre and had the tracking reset and all was peace and quiet.
First, I'm just glad I'm not nuts, as I felt like I was being too picky or hearing things. The ream of paper example is a really good one.
As you mentioned, RussD, if the problem is not the actual tyre, then the problem could just show again with new tyres, so I'll also have a 4-whell alignment done.

Forgot to add this before,the dealer gave me a health check report, where it shows one of the rear tyres is getting more worn than the other.
I'm just reluctant to swap the tyres just yet as 2 of them still have plenty of wear and I'm not a fan of only replacing 2.

After spending loads of time reading/watching tyrereviews.com, i'm inclined on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. any thoughts?Has anyone tried these?

Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
Yes, quite right! Got my cambers mixed up! Sorry for the confusion.
Not a problem. Positive camber is truly dangerous!
Anyone who has jacked up an air cooled beetle knows the quirks of it. They used to sell supports for the rear axle of swing axle beetles called camber compensators. They acted a bit like a sway bar to stop positive camber happening under hard cornering. Essentially the outer wheel could tuck under as it unloaded and flip the car鈥

Registered
Still on the subject of tyres. Anyone have a feel for what mileage to expect from 1.4 XCeed DGT. running on Contact 5s. After 12k miles the fronts are down to approx 3.2mm. Backs have loads. This seems a bit excessive and I wondered if it was attributable to start/stop town driving and DGT box. Or is this wear about right. I'm not usually heavy on tyres.

Registered
Still on the subject of tyres. Anyone have a feel for what mileage to expect from 1.4 XCeed DGT. running on Contact 5s. After 12k miles the fronts are down to approx 3.2mm. Backs have loads. This seems a bit excessive and I wondered if it was attributable to start/stop town driving and DGT box. Or is this wear about right. I'm not usually heavy on tyres.
I got 15k out of my fronts, back tyres were over 5mm left. I think Conti tyres are softer to improve ride & that proves true as on my mrs Sportage the conti's only lasted for 8k miles on the fronts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My car did 85% of the mileage on motorways/ A roads, and after 17k the fronts were down to 2.9/3.2 on the Continental SportContact 5.

It does look like it's the tyre, but I agree it looks excessive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts