Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this here in case KCS would like to comment.

I have a new 1.5 Xceed and love it but I have noticed an issue with the throttle response, this is evidenced in two scenarios;

1. When pulling away it seems as if you have to push the accelerator quite hard before the engine responds and then if you are not careful the car accelerates much faster than desired.

2. When maintaining 20mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

This does not happen in Sports mode which is very smooth. I assume it is to do with the fly by wire throttle and it is the sort of issue that would be resolved by fitting a throttle box but I also feel sure it is something that Kia could fix.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
436 Posts

I have a new 1.5 Xceed and love it but I have noticed an issue with the throttle response, this is evidenced in two scenarios;

1. When pulling away it seems as if you have to push the accelerator quite hard before the engine responds and then if you are not careful the car accelerates much faster than desired.

2. When maintaining 30mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

This does not happen in Sports mode which is very smooth. I assume it is to do with the fly by wire throttle and it is the sort of issue that would be resolved by fitting a throttle box but I also feel sure it is something that Kia could fix.

I only took delivery of mine last Thursday and have yet to try out Sport Mode, but I would agree that it does seem a bit tentative, but then there is suddenly a risk of wheel spin. I'm sure I'll get used to it. It may be a quirk of the DCT box as my Sportage was very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts

2. When maintaining 30mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

I have had my DCT Xceed for 10 months now & mine behaves exactly the same, i call it a lazy auto box but the throttle response is spot on in sports mode so once i am slowing down below 30mph & approaching junctions i put it into sports mode

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice that in manual Ceed. Is this not due to turbo lag?
Turbo lag tends to be rpm related where as one of the symptoms here is when pulling away, particularly if you are trying to pull away quickly, initially the gas peddle seems unresponsive, the revs haven't even gone up but then all of a sudden you pull away faster than expected, sometimes with wheel spin when you didn't intend it.

In Sport mode when you touch the gas peddle you get an instant response and can pull away much more smoothly and predictably

·
Registered
436 Posts
Turbo lag tends to be rpm related where as one of the symptoms here is when pulling away, particularly if you are trying to pull away quickly, initially the gas peddle seems unresponsive, the revs haven't even gone up but then all of a sudden you pull away faster than expected, sometimes with wheel spin when you didn't intend it.

In Sport mode when you touch the gas peddle you get an instant response and can pull away much more smoothly and predictably
Sounds like something a software update should be able to sort out surely ?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like something a software update should be able to sort out surely ?

I'm quite sure you are right, my last car was a Mercedes A Class and the early models suffered from something similar, in fact many people described it as a lazy gearbox, some people fitted Peddle Boxes to very good effect but eventually Mercedes provided a software update that solved the problem.

As the car drives so well in Sport with little if any throttle hesitation it seems clear this is a software issue as well so come on Kia please 🙏 give us a software update to solve this

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After replying to KCS by PM this was their reply:

Hi Mac

We agree this is a characteristic and have confirmed there aren't any outstanding improvement campaigns for your vehicle. However, we suggest referring to a dealer for their master technician to road test because if they can demonstrate this, they can then raise a technical case with Kia UK and our central technical team can in turn approach factory about a potential tweak.

Kind regards
KCS

When I get the chance I will take it to my local dealer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts