Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this here in case KCS would like to comment.

I have a new 1.5 Xceed and love it but I have noticed an issue with the throttle response, this is evidenced in two scenarios;

1. When pulling away it seems as if you have to push the accelerator quite hard before the engine responds and then if you are not careful the car accelerates much faster than desired.

2. When maintaining 20mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

This does not happen in Sports mode which is very smooth. I assume it is to do with the fly by wire throttle and it is the sort of issue that would be resolved by fitting a throttle box but I also feel sure it is something that Kia could fix.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

I have a new 1.5 Xceed and love it but I have noticed an issue with the throttle response, this is evidenced in two scenarios;

1. When pulling away it seems as if you have to push the accelerator quite hard before the engine responds and then if you are not careful the car accelerates much faster than desired.

2. When maintaining 30mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

This does not happen in Sports mode which is very smooth. I assume it is to do with the fly by wire throttle and it is the sort of issue that would be resolved by fitting a throttle box but I also feel sure it is something that Kia could fix.

I only took delivery of mine last Thursday and have yet to try out Sport Mode, but I would agree that it does seem a bit tentative, but then there is suddenly a risk of wheel spin. I'm sure I'll get used to it. It may be a quirk of the DCT box as my Sportage was very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts

2. When maintaining 30mph it is very difficult to find a throttle position that maintains the speed as the the throttle seems to a little like an On /Off switch. I can feel the car slowing slightly so press the accelerator lightly but nothing happens but then too much happens, also when taking my foot off the gas instead of just maintaining a speed the car decelerates, together this causes a choppy on/off ride.

I have had my DCT Xceed for 10 months now & mine behaves exactly the same, i call it a lazy auto box but the throttle response is spot on in sports mode so once i am slowing down below 30mph & approaching junctions i put it into sports mode

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice that in manual Ceed. Is this not due to turbo lag?
Turbo lag tends to be rpm related where as one of the symptoms here is when pulling away, particularly if you are trying to pull away quickly, initially the gas peddle seems unresponsive, the revs haven't even gone up but then all of a sudden you pull away faster than expected, sometimes with wheel spin when you didn't intend it.

In Sport mode when you touch the gas peddle you get an instant response and can pull away much more smoothly and predictably

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Turbo lag tends to be rpm related where as one of the symptoms here is when pulling away, particularly if you are trying to pull away quickly, initially the gas peddle seems unresponsive, the revs haven't even gone up but then all of a sudden you pull away faster than expected, sometimes with wheel spin when you didn't intend it.

In Sport mode when you touch the gas peddle you get an instant response and can pull away much more smoothly and predictably
Sounds like something a software update should be able to sort out surely ?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like something a software update should be able to sort out surely ?

I'm quite sure you are right, my last car was a Mercedes A Class and the early models suffered from something similar, in fact many people described it as a lazy gearbox, some people fitted Peddle Boxes to very good effect but eventually Mercedes provided a software update that solved the problem.

As the car drives so well in Sport with little if any throttle hesitation it seems clear this is a software issue as well so come on Kia please 🙏 give us a software update to solve this

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After replying to KCS by PM this was their reply:

Hi Mac

We agree this is a characteristic and have confirmed there aren't any outstanding improvement campaigns for your vehicle. However, we suggest referring to a dealer for their master technician to road test because if they can demonstrate this, they can then raise a technical case with Kia UK and our central technical team can in turn approach factory about a potential tweak.

Kind regards
KCS

When I get the chance I will take it to my local dealer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi macgd016

Please PM us with your reg so we can check for any known acceleration issues.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed
I just bought a Xceed 2021 and have the same issue Sport mode very smooth Auto mode very sluggish untill you press hard then it comes to life. If this is a software issue would it get upgraded through firmware on the head unit or directly through OBD port if it has one.
Many Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1.5T-gdi "4" DCT Phantom Black
96 Posts
I can confirm the exact same thing. My A-class Merc auto used to have a lazy acceleration from standstill but a software update fixed it. I hope that Kia will also offer a fix too because it spoils an otherwise great car. In sport mode it's nice and responsive from standstill but I don't want to have to keep it in sport mode just to alleviate the issue.

Come on KCS, raise a technical issue please and, like Mercedes, get it sorted out for your customers.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did take my car in to my local dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong, probably because they are all like this 🤣

Another, and for me more more irritating, issue is a shunting between throttle on and off when maintaining 20 or 30mph on a level road. This is not a constant thing but often when I'm just maintaining a low speed in a high gear the throttle will seem to be a little binary in that it is either On or Off instead of just maintaining the speed. Its pretty annoying but I can't see a dealer wanting to look into it or Kia doing anything about it, its a shame really as it likely only needs a tweak to the throttle response but given Kia's recent history of s/w management I think it might be best for them to leave it alone 😭

In the case of the A Class throttle issue there were a large body of people including motoring journos commenting on it which is why they probably looked into it.

·
Registered
1.5T-gdi "4" DCT Phantom Black
96 Posts
I did take my car in to my local dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong, probably because they are all like this 🤣

Another, and for me more more irritating, issue is a shunting between throttle on and off when maintaining 20 or 30mph on a level road. This is not a constant thing but often when I'm just maintaining a low speed in a high gear the throttle will seem to be a little binary in that it is either On or Off instead of just maintaining the speed. Its pretty annoying but I can't see a dealer wanting to look into it or Kia doing anything about it, its a shame really as it likely only needs a tweak to the throttle response but given Kia's recent history of s/w management I think it might be best for them to leave it alone 😭

In the case of the A Class throttle issue there were a large body of people including motoring journos commenting on it which is why they probably looked into it.
Can't say I've noticed the issue you raise when doing a constant speed on a level road. My only gripes about the car are
1. Hesitant when moving off from standstill
2. Auto hold has to be enabled every journey and isn't remembered 🙄
3. Slight rattle from the centre console storage compartment when it's extended forward (goes when pushed back though).
4. AA not full screen or wireless
5. Voice commands are hit and miss.
6. Not being able to have the sport mode dials when in comfort mode 🙄. This would surely take 2 mins to program in.

Things I love are
1. Heated steering wheel (won't buy another car without it now)
2. Air conditioned front seats (in summer)
3. Auto high beam adjust works very well and really comes into it's own on dark windy, narrow roads (life saver).
4. Overall drive and handling (better/smoother than A class Merc)
5. Uvo connect allowing me to see where the car is anytime and reminds me to lock it.
6. The radar guided cruise control and speed limiter are a dream to use.
7. The speed cam alerts.
8. The memory seats - again wouldn't get a car without this. Great when me + Mrs swapping who's driving. However, it'd be nice if it also auto selected the relevant driver profile when you press the seat memory button. Again, this would take 2 mins to program in and make the whole experience more seamless.

In fact, with 4 or 5 small tweaks this car goes from a 8/10 to a 10/10.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't say I've noticed the issue you raise when doing a constant speed on a level road. My only gripes about the car are
1. Hesitant when moving off from standstill
2. Auto hold has to be enabled every journey and isn't remembered 🙄
3. Slight rattle from the centre console storage compartment when it's extended forward (goes when pushed back though).
4. AA not full screen or wireless
5. Voice commands are hit and miss.
6. Not being able to have the sport mode dials when in comfort mode 🙄. This would surely take 2 mins to program in.

Things I love are
1. Heated steering wheel (won't buy another car without it now)
2. Air conditioned front seats (in summer)
3. Auto high beam adjust works very well and really comes into it's own on dark windy, narrow roads (life saver).
4. Overall drive and handling (better/smoother than A class Merc)
5. Uvo connect allowing me to see where the car is anytime and reminds me to lock it.
6. The radar guided cruise control and speed limiter are a dream to use.
7. The speed cam alerts.
8. The memory seats - again wouldn't get a car without this. Great when me + Mrs swapping who's driving. However, it'd be nice if it also auto selected the relevant driver profile when you press the seat memory button. Again, this would take 2 mins to program in and make the whole experience more seamless.

In fact, with 4 or 5 small tweaks this car goes from a 8/10 to a 10/10.
I pretty much agree with all of these but I would just add:

Gripes
3. Mine does it closed but its the catch being too loose, it needs just a bit of padding so that the catch is firm, I keep meaning to find some black stick on rubber 'stops' / 'bumps' not sure what they would be called.
5. I've found that learning the very limited vocabulary helps no end, the problem is that after the excellent system in the Merc that you can say almost anything and it will know what you mean the Kia needs you to say the correct word

Love
3. The auto beam is good but its nowhere near as good at the multibeam intelligent lights on my Merc which were awesome, but I can live without them no trouble 😂

Overall its is just a better car in my view

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
I also have a problem with slow gas response. I'm interested in whether they fixed the error or what they found at the service.
I have ceed sw 2022 1.5 t-gdi manual transmission.
Please help me!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hello
I also have a problem with slow gas response. I'm interested in whether they fixed the error or what they found at the service.
Please help me!
As far as I know nothing has changed since post #9 above

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello
Please help me!
@Alan47 is correct there has been no change but I haven't experienced slow throttle (gas?) response, mine is more of an either On or OFF throttle situation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts