Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery on our Kia venga 1.6 Auto 2017 (not stop start) has failed at 26 months. The battery is a flooded cell type but for some reason has a AGM sticker on it.The dealer will not replace as 2 months out of guarantee. I have replaced it with a better and bigger battery AGM type ,Will this cause any issues with the car charging system or overcharge the AGM type. Any thoughts as to why it was stickered ??.

·
Registered
244 Posts
battery should be fine, the smart charge system should learn the new battery and charge it correctly. if not the new battery should come with a warranty so your covered for that amount of time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had AGM battery problems with both my cars with ISG. The system was paranoid about letting the charge level fall too far. Thus one could only have the radio on for about a minute without the engine running before it was either turned off, or the engine started. None the less both had to be replaced. (One in my Ceed and the other in my Diesel Venga) (Where the IGS rarely worked at all anyway.)

The normal type battery in my 2017 1.6 Venga 4 auto 6 seems much happier and the charging system less psychotic.
Cannot understand why you would fit an AGM type which is more expensive and less reliable.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
AGM batteries are lighter, safer (no spill hazard), can be charged up to five times faster, offer more charge/discharge cycles, and are much less sensitive to deep discharge but they are more sensitive to overcharging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car should have a flooded acid battery, I was fooled by an incorrect sticker on the non Kia battery that came with the new car!! I have fitted an AGM battery but am concerned that the cars charging system will damage the battery. Kia have no explanation , Battery possibly swapped at the Docks??

·
Registered
235 Posts
The normal type battery in my 2017 1.6 Venga 4 auto 6 seems much happier and the charging system less psychotic.
Cannot understand why you would fit an AGM type which is more expensive and less reliable.
Exactly my sentiment..had my Venga since the 1st Sept 2019 and it has a normal battery fitted on it..as long as I give it a good run every few days it performs well with no problems..I have a plug in voltmeter in one of the power sockets so I can read how the charging is going and what voltage the battery is at start up..been going through the flu of late and now into my 6th week of that so starting the car has been hit and miss over this 6 week period and on one start up the voltmeter read 10.7..after a 15 mile run it was charging at 14.4 and when I turned the engine off and back on it read 12.7..dont think I will bother with a flooded or AGM battery when mine packs in and will just fit the same Yuasa one again with a slightly better spec and one with higher volts and ccr..

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Exactly my sentiment..had my Venga since the 1st Sept 2019 and it has a normal battery fitted on it..as long as I give it a good run every few days it performs well with no problems..I have a plug in voltmeter in one of the power sockets so I can read how the charging is going and what voltage the battery is at start up..been going through the flu of late and now into my 6th week of that so starting the car has been hit and miss over this 6 week period and on one start up the voltmeter read 10.7..after a 15 mile run it was charging at 14.4 and when I turned the engine off and back on it read 12.7..dont think I will bother with a flooded or AGM battery when mine packs in and will just fit the same Yuasa one again with a slightly better spec and one with higher volts and ccr..
It'll be one or the other.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
AFAIK there are no other types of battery in normal automotive use. Traditional batteries are the flooded cell type and the more modern batteries are AGM. So if you won;t use a flooded or AGM battery what will you use?

BTW you will also struggle to find an automotive battery with higher volts. They are all nominally 12V and even 24V systems use two 12V batteries.

The proper charging regime for flooded batteries is different to AGMs so you really need to fit the correct type for your vehicle's charging system,

·
Registered
235 Posts
AFAIK there are no other types of battery in normal automotive use. Traditional batteries are the flooded cell type and the more modern batteries are AGM. So if you won;t use a flooded or AGM battery what will you use?

BTW you will also struggle to find an automotive battery with higher volts. They are all nominally 12V and even 24V systems use two 12V batteries.

The proper charging regime for flooded batteries is different to AGMs so you really need to fit the correct type for your vehicle's charging system,
Meant amp hour not volts..head is still full of fog from flu bug so not thinking straight..maybe go to something higher than 60ah and 550 cca..

old thread and the yuasa battery I have at the moment..

·
Registered
60 Posts
A fully charged battery should read 13.2volts, if it's only reading 12.7volts.
Then it's faulty and needs changing, 14.4volts is normal charging voltage.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
A fully charged battery should read 13.2volts, if it's only reading 12.7volts.
Then it's faulty and needs changing, 14.4volts is normal charging voltage.
This is not the case for AGM batteries. An AGM battery with a resting voltage of 12.7 V is between 80% and 90% charged and is perfectly fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts