Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My word, what an active community you have here!

I am due to have a Sportage test drive tomorrow (1.7D and hopefully 2.0D), as its on my short list of vehicles I`ll be purchasing later in the year. OK, its at the VERY TOP of the list.... and after tomorrow, it may be the ONLY THING on my list :)

After digging through pages and pages of threads here, I have picked up so many hints, tips, ideas, faults, recalls, and much much more, so I`d like to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed over the years.

Would it be fair to say that most people are very happy with their Sportages? I know that most of the time, only people with problems post on forums, and those who have no problems become the silent majority, so just checking what the opinion is on here.

And now a few questions...

- Is the Sat Nav really as bad as its made out to be? I generally use my
android phone for GPS nav (Sygic and/or Copilot) and am very happy with
that solution. I was tempted to go for the Sportage SatNav option but am
now having second thoughts.

- Who provides the 12 months Kia roadside assistance?

- Any idea where the ODBC2 connector is on the Sportage?

- Are the integrated side steps a worthwhile accessory to add, especially to help kids climb in and out?

·
Registered
525 Posts
- Is the Sat Nav really as bad as its made out to be? I generally use my android phone for GPS nav (Sygic and/or Copilot) and am very happy with that solution. I was tempted to go for the Sportage SatNav option but am now having second thoughts. - Have you tried Waze on android, been using it a while, its really good for picking up on traffic jams

- Any idea where the ODBC2 connector is on the Sportage? - They have to be within a certain distance of the driving seat so look under the dash.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run Waze on my Desire, and run my MP3/GPS/RadarDroid stuff on my Desire HD (two seperate dash holders).

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have built in Sat Nav in my Chrysler.
Quite frankly, i would never have another built in Sat Nav as long as I live.

They are out dated too quickly, and Chrysler want £350 per update.

I Can't comment on Kia prices, as I don't have one, but the one I do have is enough to put me off.

Plus it's cumbersome to operate, unlike a removable one, which you can program in the comfort of your armchair.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi SteveL,

Happy with mine and the built in Satnav. Being a Doctor, I travel alot and it has never failed to get me to my destination. Job done.

Had a few warranty issues - wind noise from the sunroof over 70mph. You will know if it is a problem! Fixed.

Alloy wheels started to corrode from the edge of the rims. Having all 4 replaced on Tuesday. Sorted!

Very happy and the experience is miles better than my last 3 Audis! Just go on their forum to see all the issues with electrics, dual mass flywheel, clutch, DPF etc etc.

Let us know how the test drive goes.

Chris

·
Registered
525 Posts
chris.castel said:
Hi SteveL,

Happy with mine and the built in Satnav. Being a Doctor, I travel alot and it has never failed to get me to my destination. Job done.

Had a few warranty issues - wind noise from the sunroof over 70mph. You will know if it is a problem! Fixed.

Alloy wheels started to corrode from the edge of the rims. Having all 4 replaced on Tuesday. Sorted!

Very happy and the experience is miles better than my last 3 Audis! Just go on their forum to see all the issues with electrics, dual mass flywheel, clutch, DPF etc etc.

Let us know how the test drive goes.

Chris

I think i read in Autocar that they had the wheels on the long term test car replaced under warranty due to corrosion

·
Registered
204 Posts
Indeed. In fact I showed the Autocar story to Kia Swindon. See my thread 'alloys'. The lesson to learn is clean them as much as you can but Kia clearly see it as a manufacturing problem. Maybe the new ones have the issue resolved as my partner's Nissan QQ has almost the same wheel and after 2 years they are perfect.

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I`m adding all these comments and warranty issues to my "grill list" for tomorrow's test drive :)

Never having a diesel of my own (a 38tonne truck doesnt count!), what is it with the DPF that I see people having issues with? For someone who likes to make "good progress" while driving (and ignoring the gear shift indicator), is it something that is ever likely to affect me?

Moving up from a 2002 Ford Focus 1.6 3dr to the Sportage will be awesome, although I did check out the luggage space available in both (seats down) and the difference isnt actually as much as I was expecting. I guess the higher floor level in the loading area kind of reduces the overall volume available. Ah yes, and while I am here, is there any way of getting the rear seats to be really folded flat when pushed forward?

I cant quite believe the price difference online (autoebid/buyacar/etc) versus the garage asking price. Are the garages aware of this and let it affect their discount when a customer goes in and waves that information in front of them?

Its going to be a few months before I can put money down on whatever it is I decide to get, but its something to look forward to!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is some storage space under the "floor" - I keep my tyre inflator inside the spare wheel and use the space around the wheel for small/squashable items. The seats don't fold flat nor do they push forward. As for the satnav, I find it does the job the limited times I need it but it's not the most user friendly. I've never had traffic updates before so don't miss that as others do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah yes, what a good idea. I know its a full size spare (Hurrahh!) but didnt think about using the space in the tyre and around it. I will take a better look tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
keat99 said:
I have built in Sat Nav in my Chrysler.
Quite frankly, i would never have another built in Sat Nav as long as I live.

They are out dated too quickly, and Chrysler want £350 per update.

I Can't comment on Kia prices, as I don't have one, but the one I do have is enough to put me off.

Plus it's cumbersome to operate, unlike a removable one, which you can program in the comfort of your armchair.

It's odd isn't it I have the same sat nav (MyGig, I assume), and I like it. It's one of the best built in sat navs I've used. However, I would agree on the grossly overprices map updates. £350 is a joke.

I fitted a cheapo Chinese sat nav in our Sportage. It's not perfect, but for £150...

·
Registered
83 Posts
"
I cant quite believe the price difference online (autoebid/buyacar/etc) versus the garage asking price. Are the garages aware of this and let it affect their discount when a customer goes in and waves that information in front of them?

I couldn't either when I bought mine, I tried using the online price as a bargaining tool with dealers but try as hard as they could they couldn't match it, so needless to say I bought online.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was it as easy as it appears to use these online site to buy the car? Any downsides I should be aware of? (apart from the "hanging onto the V5" issue I have read elsewhere...)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I can only speak for the one I used. It was a total breeze, their price was £3,500 cheaper than list. £1,000 deposit, balance only paid once I had the new car in mypossession and was happy with it.They even gave me a trade in price for my old car which was better than any dealer was offering, which reallysurprisedme.

The company I used was UK Car Discount in Manchester (I an not involved or affiliated to them in any way)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Our online experience echoed Snowball's with a similar saving. Smooth quick and cost effective.

We used Autoebid. Apart from their finder fee, nothing to pay until you have the keys in your hand.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Dealdrivers. They are a broker that are very clear about the issue of pre-registered vehicles. If you like the price, let them know and the dealership then gets in touch with you and you buy from them as you would had you walked into their showroom. They don't appear to do Kia now, possibly due to lengthy delivery times! Their website is worth a read to understand the whole pre-registered car situation. Another online dealer I spoke to didn't like me asking questions about whether their prices were for pre-reg or not (prices seemed too cheap not to be but it wasn't stated either way) and the guy asked me what dealership I was phoning from as only dealers ask those kind of questions!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have just got back from the test drive. It was delayed a bit by some real customers wanting to spend real money, but that was cool, as it allowed me more time to poke around the car without being shadowed by the sales guy.

Not much spare room under the bonnet with those 2.0D engines, is there! But access to the light bulbs seems easy enough (unlike certain other cars who have more room under the bonnet but have hidden the bulbs so that only aliens with 5 joints on their arms can get at them).

I test drove the 2.0 Diesel KX-3 (not sat nav). Love the driving position, quite high up, comfortable seats, great dash layout, mirrors OK, rear view was a little obstructed but I was expecting that.
Not as pokey as I was expecting, but that could be me not getting used to the 6 speed box and using the torque properly. It handled pretty well, it didnt feel like a big car at all.

With the rear seats down in the back, the luggage area is pretty much the same width and height as my 3dr 2002 focus, but is an additional 300mm longer. I did have to check that, I was convinced it was larger. There is room in with the spare tyre under the floor, and also lots of room in the rear foot wells that can also be utilised for packing things, so I dont have any issues with space to be honest. I may still have to get a roofbox though, as I have a LOT of stuff when I go away camping (well, astronomy star parties actually)

The horn is crap, isnt it... sounds like something from a kids sit-in electric car. I`ll be replacing that if/when I get a Sportage.

As expected, the dealers really didnt want to complete on price with the online dealers. I can understand why, and if it was a few hundred pounds difference, I would be tempted to go with the dealer, but my current checks are showing somewhere in the region of £3,700 saving... cant ignore that kind of money, no matter how much you want to go to the local dealers.

And the final question for me was... did I think it was worth the money? I love the car, nice and relaxed with a great drive, and a level of equipment that is FAR above anything I have ever owned before. I`ll have to see how the house sale and separation goes over the next fewmonths before i can commit, but I cant see anything else out there right now that I could walk out to in the morning and grin at :) Anything else would just be transport, whereas a Sportage would be a little something for me...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts