Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 XE which I have had since new. It has done 73,000 and is used for urban and caravanning. 6 months ago I upgraded the wheels to 17" with 65 profile tyres and I have towed all over the country since. 3 weeks ago I had work done to the rear brakes which included replacing a brake caliper.

A week past friday I hitched up and headed north. After about 80 miles we became aware of a rythmetic sound coming from the rear. Checked but couldn't find anything. Kept driving and about 20 miles later was getting vibration through the floor. I thought a bearing in the driveshaft had gone.

Turned out that a wheel hub bolt had snapped, 3 were finger tight and 1 was still tight. Car had to be recovered. The wheel was also damaged by the fact that the bolt holes had been widened by its movement.

Aha, I hear you think - stressed bolt having been overtightened.

The garage replaced all 5 bolts and fitted the spare wheel which was the Kia original. On my way home 2 days later after travelling about 80 miles a bolt on the same hub snapped and damaged the wheel before I could stop !.

The car is meantime in a 2nd garage !

·
Registered
61 Posts
You would think you could trust a garage to put a wheel on correctly. I would be back at the first garage, and ask what they are going to do about it, the car was perfectly ok until they got their inept hands on it.
Thanks for the info. I for one will be checking studs and wheels after getting new tyres, but will be doing my own repairs otherwise.

All the best,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The result from the 2nd garage is that the Kia wheel nuts are not a proper fit for the wheel as the camber on the end does not match the wheel and the the shoulder of the nut digs into the wheel, so when you think they are tight there is still a very small gap which allows movement. The only thing stopping the wheel coming off is the locking nuts supplied by Kia which are a very good fit. My father has a Kia saloon which has the same nuts !. It appears that Kia use the same nuts for all their cars !.
The garage has fitted Isusu nuts which are 100 % compatable and match exactly !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info above, I will have to have mine checked out to see just what is happening with my own wheels.
Funnily enough, my son has a Kia Sedonna, and he came up to check my car out for me, brakes etc., and he used the same socket for my wheels as he used on his own. Turned out that his was a 22mm whilst mine are 21mm socket, different diameter so they may have been changed on mine previously.
Anyway, hope all is well with your car this time,
All the best,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts