Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Just hoping for some tips on how to sort this out. I have just bought a 2.9CRDI ( 2003), Was told it had fuel problem. After having an all singing all dancing diagnostics test done , The only fault showing was Camshaft Sensor. I have now replaced the sensor but no joy . Anyone got any clues please....

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
some of the early crdi sedona had there injection system replaced due to high pressure pump breaking up. the way to tell if the pump is failing is to remove the fuel filter, give it good shake, open it like a bean can. pour the contents in to a clear container and place a magnet on the under side to see how big a puddle of filings you get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI ALL, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. TURNS OUT THE ENGINE WAS CREAM CRACKERED,HAVE JUST CHANGED THE ENGINE AND NOW HAVING TROUBLE STARTING, CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE INJECTORS NEED CODING AS THEY CAME WITH THE ENGINE IVE JUST FITTED ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,I have KIA Carnival 2002 Diesel 2.9 CRDI turbocharge, done so far 230,000 km
I belive the same engine as yours, the same problem won't start without easy start.

I replaced set of new injectors "33800 4x500" and the engine starts as new.

Regards
Bash

·
Registered
65 Posts
To get the best out of the engine the injectors will need coding into the ECU. But the car should start and run properly without doing so.

Got a full OBD check for all the codes being reported. Beware MOST OBD readers can't get all the codes out of the ECU.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI ALL, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. FINALLY GOT THE ENGINE RUNNING,CHANGED THE HAND PRIMER AND OFF SHE WENT !!!! NOW WONT MOVE IN ANY GEARS (AUTO). GEARBOX WAS FINE BEFORE ENGINE CHANGE, COULD IT BE ONE OF THE GEARBOX SENSORS AS HOLD LIGHT IS FLASHING ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mariner and all

I have a 2005 Sedona 2.9 CRDI which is having problems starting only when its cold i.e first thing in a morning once it starts it's fine all day long. At first I thought it was the battery, but a test proved the battery was perfect. It was therefore assumed that the glow plugs needed replacing..

On the the morning that it was due to go in for the glow plugs doing I came out to my car at 4am to find it totally covered in snow. So you can imagine my thoughts "oh sh*t" So I put the key in the ignition thinking this is never gonna start and hey presto it fired up straight away. To say I was over the moon is an understatement, however this has left me somewhat stumped, For if was the glow plugs it would start with 3inch covering of snow..

The car will start if I bump start it and thankfully I live on a hill

I would say my problem is definitely a fuel starvation problem therefore I have a few questions for you.

1) where are you spraying the easy start? I can't find an inlet near the MAF sensor

2) when you replaced the hand primer, did you replace the fuel filter?

My next next train of thought is that it is either the rail or injectors

Any advice welcome
Edited by: Motzil

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you get any engine lights on the dash board?Can you get hold of a good OBD diagnostic or am RAC man with a machine? If so then watch the common rail pressure when starting the engine. If it doesn't reach at least 200bar i t won't start. This is indicative if a leaky injector or two.
Or if you are handy do a leak off test. It only takes about an hour to do and put the bits back together and that will visually show what state the injectors are in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Patmam

Thanks for the reply. When you say lights on the dashboard are you talking warning lights or are you referring to the lights that are normally on when starting the car.

I have No warning lights and the dash lights are all as normally. However my starter motor has just packed up today with the perverbial click click. Now I don't know if this is coincidental or if it's a case of the starter motor has been lazy not kicking in at a speed to drive the fly wheelhouse create the compression need for it to fire. For as I've already said it will bump on a hill which gives it the compression needed.

Therefore I'm gonna referb the starter, but parts won't be here till Tuesday, without a working starter I can't test the system so it's catch 22 at the minute. Either way I will post back my findings and I will certainly do a test on the Common rail

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, Just hoping for some tips on how to sort this out. I have just bought a 2.9CRDI ( 2003), Was told it had fuel problem. After having an all singing all dancing diagnostics test done , The only fault showing was Camshaft Sensor. I have now replaced the sensor but no joy . Anyone got any clues please....

·
Registered
2 Posts
dont know if this will help anyone ive had lots of trouble starting mine from cold etc today i was going through bit again and just happened to touch the fuel rail connection and found a broken wire fixed it now fine might be worth looking at ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
has this thread been solved? if not.....i had a similar problem when i bought the car (previous owner didnt tell me) turned out to be the key code reading Arial that wraps around the steering column ....it reads the code in the key to make sure it is the right one before engaging fuel pump (i think its fuel pump) and can be intermittent ...... hence why they will start with easy start as dont need fuel injection but once running will keep going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts