Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chap I know to say hello to come to the dorr yesterday morning asking if I would listen to his Sedona. He started it up and it had a real loud knock and a from the drivers side at the top of the engine. At first I thought it may be a broken rocker, he really didn't want to drive it any further and would I have a look at it for him. So with him stood watching I removed the intercooler etc and the rocker cover and no broken rockers then whilst looking around I noticed the top timing cover had split where it goes from smooth plastic to the ribbed part. Using a screw driver and poking about the exhaust cam gear was moving about. I took the top timing cover off and the bolt holding the cam gear on was sticking out about 1" one and a bit turns and it came all way off. He said that he had had a new head gasket and a timiming belt done around 18 months ago. after checking for further damage I cleared the threads with a tap and screwed the bolt back in using stud lock which seems not to have been used when the head was done, Also took out the inlet one and retightened with stud lock stuck it all back together and started it up and the knock had gone. He said the engine had started being noisey around 4 months ago just faint at first but had sudenly got really noisy on Friday. I sent him off with pictures to the garage that did the head for him to see what they had to say. . Not sure where these jokers who call them selves professional have the cheek to charge at times. Lucky for the chap I had a spare top timming cover hanging about

Edited by: bruno1926

1 - 2 of 2 Posts