Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
believe all the 2021 models use the same infotainment system now so I doubt it's model specific.

I bought a brand new Picanto X-Line last week and I could use CarPlay fine as I left the dealer. However, the next time I went into my car I couldn't get it to connect properly. The system kept disconnecting and reconnecting, at first I couldn't get it to connect at all but eventually I got it to connect and again every couple of minutes it would drop out (audio still worked through the car system though)

I tried resetting the infotainment to factory, restarting my phone, forgetting CarPlay/bluetooth/Wifi on my phone. I even tried using my Girlfriends phone on the previous iOS version.

Has anyone else had any issues and know what might be causing it?

Using iPhone 8 iOS 14.5

Super Moderator
Does it work wired on your phone?

Registered
I've never heard that you could get wireless Carplay on the Kia.

Super Moderator
I've never heard that you could get wireless Carplay on the Kia.
It's CarPlay & Android Auto Wireless :)

Some 2021 models have it already.
2020 with a Gen 5 head unit should get it via a upgrade at some point.
Older units will not as they do not have the hardware to be able to do it. (not sure if this includes gen 4 or not)

Reactions: Chrispy1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it work wired on your phone?
Nope, I鈥檝e tried two different cables and no luck. I鈥檓 not sure the picanto does wired carplay as it doesn鈥檛 pick it up with the wire unless I connect wirelessly.

I tried again today using my girlfriends phone and it was a lot more stable, but her phone is still on iOS 12.

Registered
believe all the 2021 models use the same infotainment system now so I doubt it's model specific.

I bought a brand new Picanto X-Line last week and I could use CarPlay fine as I left the dealer. However, the next time I went into my car I couldn't get it to connect properly. The system kept disconnecting and reconnecting, at first I couldn't get it to connect at all but eventually I got it to connect and again every couple of minutes it would drop out (audio still worked through the car system though)

I tried resetting the infotainment to factory, restarting my phone, forgetting CarPlay/bluetooth/Wifi on my phone. I even tried using my Girlfriends phone on the previous iOS version.

Has anyone else had any issues and know what might be causing it?

Using iPhone 8 iOS 14.5
It does the same on our MY21 RIO with the wife's Apple. I use the cable with my android so no issues. Thought it might be a phone signal strength thing!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does the same on our MY21 RIO with the wife's Apple. I use the cable with my android so no issues. Thought it might be a phone signal strength thing!
Does it work well wireless on the android?, or only wired?
This might put me over the edge to make the jump from iPhone.

Registered
I don't connect wirelessly as it wont work. There is a thread here of what I need to do to fix it.

Super Moderator
Nope, I鈥檝e tried two different cables and no luck. I鈥檓 not sure the picanto does wired carplay as it doesn鈥檛 pick it up with the wire unless I connect wirelessly.

I tried again today using my girlfriends phone and it was a lot more stable, but her phone is still on iOS 12.
Given Apple's history with updates causing issues & your girlfriends working on a older O/S. My money is on your phone especially as wired is not working as well.

All head units should do both, wired & Wireless. Just make sure you are using the right USB port if you have more than 1. As well as going into settings and making sure it is activated.

Registered
Go Settings>Developer options and try different bluetooth options
View attachment 10278
I take it that is on an Android not Apple.

Even using wired you still have to unlock an iPhone before it will connect even if it's been pair. Also using Wi-Fi you have you have to open personal hotspot before they will connect. It's an Apple thing.
A pain the butt really

Super Moderator
Just tried daughters I-Phone, which has been upgraded to 14.5 and this worked wired on 2020 niro (no wifi option yet)
Apple phone need screen unlocking to connect (go figure that one) as Android does not.

@Chrispy1 Should you need a personal hotspot on the phone, given it is the head unit sending the wifi signal? On the updated units that have the option for WiFi CarPlay & Android Auto.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it that is on an Android not Apple.

Even using wired you still have to unlock an iPhone before it will connect even if it's been pair. Also using Wi-Fi you have you have to open personal hotspot before they will connect. It's an Apple thing.
A pain the butt really
I don鈥檛 have to unlock mine or open a hotspot. It picks it up automatically when I enter, just doesn鈥檛 stay connected.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So my dealer said that Kia have acknowledged the problem and are working on an update.

but I also emailed Kia and they said that it鈥檚 an Apple issue since iOS14 and that Apple have to fix it. They also said that my car doesn鈥檛 support wireless Apple CarPlay, which was surprising since it does, I鈥檝e used it, and it鈥檚 advertised as having it on their site.

I鈥檓 a bit concerned if this has been an issue since iOS14 since that鈥檚 been out for over half a year already.

Registered
So my dealer said that Kia have acknowledged the problem and are working on an update.

but I also emailed Kia and they said that it鈥檚 an Apple issue since iOS14 and that Apple have to fix it. They also said that my car doesn鈥檛 support wireless Apple CarPlay, which was surprising since it does, I鈥檝e used it, and it鈥檚 advertised as having it on their site.

I鈥檓 a bit concerned if this has been an issue since iOS14 since that鈥檚 been out for over half a year already.
Not saying your wrong (specs for mine doesn't ISG but has it). But here are the specifications for the 2021 Picanto and it doesn't say wireless CarPlay for any model.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not saying your wrong (specs for mine doesn't ISG but has it). But here are the specifications for the 2021 Picanto and it doesn't say wireless CarPlay for any model. View attachment 10289
That鈥檚 odd, my car definitely has it as I can connect wirelessly. And it was a selling point when I ordered back in December.

I can find a few articles saying that it鈥檚 wireless but on Kia鈥檚 website I can only find this:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not saying your wrong (specs for mine doesn't ISG but has it). But here are the specifications for the 2021 Picanto and it doesn't say wireless CarPlay for any model. View attachment 10289
just found this too.

I remember when I ordered the online spec sheet also said that the x-line didn鈥檛 have rear parking sensors like the GT, but mine does.

Super Moderator
@dcla

Looking at that list you are showing is for other area's.
As Uk does not have either Seltos or Carnival models.

US/Canada get a lot of spec well before we do in the UK.

But I do know some UK models have it, just not sure which.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@dcla

Looking at that list you are showing is for other area's.
As Uk does not have either Seltos or Carnival models.

US/Canada get a lot of spec well before we do in the UK.

But I do know some UK models have it, just not sure which.
Yeah it doesn鈥檛 seem very clear.
But I know mine has it because it does connect wirelessly, just just not stable.

oddly enough my model doesn鈥檛 seem to work wired. I took it to the dealer today and they also couldn鈥檛 get it to work in wired mode. They suggested turning Bluetooth off after connecting to CarPlay but no luck there as it disconnected twice in the way home.

I think it could be an Apple issue as my girlfriends phone seems to work much better and she鈥檚 iOS 11 or 12. But since iOS 14 was released in September and it鈥檚 still not fixed I鈥檓 not very hopeful it will be soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts