Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here replaced the wipers (front and rear) on their Niro yet? I really need to replace the rear one (damaged by those stupid white stick-on letters with the website of the garage along the top edge of the rear window, which have recently been removed!!) and have found that one fairly easily (Bosch A300H), but I'm stumped by the front ones. They have a kind of plastic spoiler on them which I initially thought was just a cover that would clip off and fit over the metal frame of the replacement wiper, but on closer inspection it's all part of the same structure.

Bosch have a set with the larger 26" one of the two with the spoiler built in (SP26S) but the smaller 16" one is a standard metal frame (SP16). Googling SP16S, which I assume would be the equivalent one with a spoiler doesn't return anything useful so it looks like it doesn't exist which is odd. They do an Aerotwin retrofit version though which I may have to go for but would prefer the normal design, as I find the longer Aerotwins don't tend to work that well especially at the far end.

I don't really want to pay Kia main dealer rates for OEM ones, so any suggestions?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The (shorter) passenger side wiper is an issue on a MY19 Ceed as well - can't get the factory fitted "plastic spoiler" ones at all. Dealers can't get them either.

I just ended up putting Bosch Aerotwins of the appropriate length on both front wipers. Dunno what its like on the Niro but the wipers on a Ceed are tucked away under the edge of the bonnet so wind resistance etc isn't really a factor until it rains.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I replaced them on Stonic & Picanto neither had the spoilers. Made no difference to cleaning the screen.

Those look just like the Bosch Aerotwin type of wipers, nothing like what I have on mine. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow, it's difficult to describe what they look like, but they look more like a conventional wiper with all the interlinked metal parts except that the outside is encased in a hard plastic cover that is shaped a bit like a spoiler in places.

@Vestas The wipers on the Niro aren't fully hidden underneath the edge of the bonnet like they are on some cars where you have to put them into a "maintenance mode" to lift them away from the windscreen for maintenance, so I guess it also has something to do with noise reduction or something.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Those look just like the Bosch Aerotwin type of wipers, nothing like what I have on mine. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow, it's difficult to describe what they look like, but they look more like a conventional wiper with all the interlinked metal parts except that the outside is encased in a hard plastic cover that is shaped a bit like a spoiler in places.

Image for display.<<
I know what you mean about the design.

If you want as fitted now, try your dealer. They are not always as dear as you think. But even then they may not be the same.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
When my Venga failed the MOT because of a wiper the KIA garage fitted a new one. Later I checked prices and it was cheaper than I could buy a replacement so dealers are not always expensive.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I don't really want to pay Kia main dealer rates for OEM ones, so any suggestions?
This outfit offers choice and decent prices, even with postage: niro-2016-to-2021-windscreen-wiper-blades

The cheapest method, however, is to open up the original wiper blade and replace the actual rubber with its backing. Unfortunately, not many motor factor keep rolls of it any more. Some do so it's worth asking. They usually charge per metre if you can find a supplier.

The job itself is straightforward but requires a lot of care. Having said that, it's hardly a financial disaster if you damage a blade housing and then need to buy a new pair of OE or pattern blades.

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
512 Posts

@Vestas The wipers on the Niro aren't fully hidden underneath the edge of the bonnet like they are on some cars where you have to put them into a "maintenance mode" to lift them away from the windscreen for maintenance, so I guess it also has something to do with noise reduction or something.
The shortage has similar wipers as standard with the plastic moulding over the frame, I replaced mine with the Bosch aerotwin, they are much better than the Kia ones and cheaper.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can also recommend the company linked to by Indalo in post #7.
Also worth noting that EuroCarParts has a flash sale of 50% off Bosch wipers today. Discount code is "Mid60"

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can also recommend the company linked to by Indalo in post #7.
Also worth noting that EuroCarParts has a flash sale of 50% off Bosch wipers today. Discount code is "Mid60"
I'm trying to avoid UK based suppliers at the moment as a lot of stuff is being sent back by customs from Ireland at the moment. Something to do with incomplete electronic customs declarations or something. I won't mention the 'B' word :)

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,963 Posts
Has anyone here replaced the wipers (front and rear) on their Niro yet? I really need to replace the rear one (damaged by those stupid white stick-on letters with the website of the garage along the top edge of the rear window, which have recently been removed!!) and have found that one fairly easily (Bosch A300H), but I'm stumped by the front ones. They have a kind of plastic spoiler on them which I initially thought was just a cover that would clip off and fit over the metal frame of the replacement wiper, but on closer inspection it's all part of the same structure.

Bosch have a set with the larger 26" one of the two with the spoiler built in (SP26S) but the smaller 16" one is a standard metal frame (SP16). Googling SP16S, which I assume would be the equivalent one with a spoiler doesn't return anything useful so it looks like it doesn't exist which is odd. They do an Aerotwin retrofit version though which I may have to go for but would prefer the normal design, as I find the longer Aerotwins don't tend to work that well especially at the far end.

Try wiperblades.co.uk - I get all my blades there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.