Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've just bought a used Kia Ceed (Private Seller) and I have found that the front windscreen wipers do not function correctly. At normal speed and high speed the wipers work fine but do not park correctly and when set on intermittent they stop part way up the screen, stay there for ten seconds the move a bit further across. They do the same thing on the return stroke. I checked the fuse inside the car and it's ok. I couldn't pull the big fuse inside the engine compartment fusebox (is it a relay?) I have booked it in the Kia garage but that's on Thursday and it's raining now. Can anyone help?

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi dave,

i had this problem on another car

firstly with the blades not parking correctly this was down to the fact that they were removed

from the car and replaced incorectly

as for not traveling across the screen in one movement

again this is the relay and this should be replaced because its packing up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, it sounds likeit's a job for the garage. I don't know what a relay looks like or where to find it, let alone replace one. Is it like a fuse or something?

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
it looks like a coloured square cube not sure if on a kia they should be locacated on or near the fuse box.

they are not cheap nor is replaceing a wiper motor.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
All Ceeds will still be under warranty provided they have a full service history as required by current legislation. Ceeds have been 7 years fron day one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The full 7 years was only introduced for 2010 before that there was a very restricted 7 year one perhaps even only 5 years.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Eric

The full 7 year warranty was introduced first on the Ceed at its introduction and then fully rolled out across the remainder of the range in 2010. The other Kia models have had a variety of warranties over the years but the Ceed has only ever had the full factory 7 year one. Don't start giving incorrect details to people when they have a problem, it could cost them dear.

DavidC

Your warranty /Service book will have all the details in it, suggest you speak to your local Kia dealer ASAP, if the car has be correctly serviced it will be repaired free of charge.

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
I still stand bye what I said.

Before 2010 it was a restricted one for the seven years with full coverage for 5 years. Hyundai remained with the five years but unlimited mileage for private use, Kia still have a 100,000 mile limit before the 7 years.

The extract below is from a road test published by The Independent Newspaper in February 2007.

All the cee'd range enjoys independent rear suspension, which gives them tidy handling. And - most crucially of all - every cee'd enjoys a seven-year or 100,000-mile warranty. However, you need to know that the main "bumper to bumper" warranty only runs to five years (like sister company Hyundai's guarantee ), with the extra cover being restricted to the engine and gearbox. The company sometimes does well in reliability surveys, but I'd still wonder whether it will be quite as trouble free as a Civic.
Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Total nonsense, lots of magazines made that error because they thought that no manufacturer would give full cover for 7 years. It has been a "bumper to bumper" warranty from day one.Speak to a Kia dealer and don't believe what you read.

The following is pasted from the Kia Website, think they should know:

When we launched the Kia cee'd and the European-produced Sportage, we completely revolutionised the warranty. These models are guaranteed for an incredible seven years.

This warranty includes:
<UL =bullets>
<LI>for the first 3 years, you can drive as many miles as you want and you will still have our full manufacturer's warranty </LI>
<LI>if you stay under 100,000 miles, our full manufacturer's warranty is valid for an amazing 7 years ""“ which allows you an average of over 14,000 miles a year </LI>
<LI>the anti-perforation warranty is valid for 10 years, irrespective of how many miles you drive* </LI>
<LI>the free 1 year KIAssist roadside assistance covers UK and mainland Europe</LI>[/list]

For vehicles purchased before 1st January 2010 the following warranty applies:

The Carens and Soul come with:

<UL =bullets>
<LI>5 year unlimited mileage warranty </LI>
<LI>6 year anti-perforation warranty * </LI>
<LI>1 year KIAssist roadside assistance covering UK and mainland Europe</LI>[/list]

All other Kia vehicles are covered by the following warranties:
<UL =bullets>
<LI>3 year unlimited mileage warranty </LI>
<LI>6 year anti-perforation warranty* </LI>
<LI>1 year KIAssist roadside assistance covering UK and mainland Europe </LI>[/list]

Its clear enough to me, the only cars that didn't change in January 2010 were the Ceed and Sportage.

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry Paul even based upon your assumptions the Cee'd did change, it went to a twelve year anti-perforation warranty for MY 2010.

Every pre-MY 2010 test that I read before purchasing my car and there were many discussed the introduction of the bumper tobumper warranty for the upcoming year, are you saying that every motoring correspondant was still getting it wrong three years after initial launch?

All we need as proof is for someone with a an earlier car to tell what is in the warranty booklet included with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Cee'd is a 2009 (05) less than two years old but I can see from the service book that it missed it's first service. It has only had one service (which I had done before I collected it). Will the wiper repair be covered under the warranty or is it invalid due to missing it's first service, after all, the wipers are not included in the service. I think it was missed due to a very low mileage in the first year. It has now done 18,000 miles. I am no clearer as to what the problem is nor what needs to be done to fix it. Fortunately it's not raining at the moment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Others reporting on here have said the warranty becomes invalid if the correct service regime is not followed. Its not just a mileage interval but a time interval as well so even if you only did 5 miles a week it would need a twelve month service even though it will only have done 260 miles.

It may all be dependant upon the dealers judgement but the booklet about warranty coverage will have all the details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts