Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a supplier of steel wheel / winter tyre combo to suit 08 Sportage? Failing that, anyone know where used wheel set may be found? Tried the usual suspects to no avail and our Highland winter is upon us!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Have you tried mytyres? They do steel wheel and tyre combos.
I've gone for getting my own wheels and tyres separately, since mytyres were stupidly expensive for the tyre type I wanted and the two main delers I tried to get steel wheels from could not figure out the correct wheel size I needed since "the computer says you have alloys with your VIN no." Anyway, Rochford supplied me a new set of alloys for about the same price as a set of steels from the main dealer. I think steels would be better, but the alloys were so cheap andthat if one breaksit doesn't matter too much.

I don't live in Scotland, but often go to Germany and winter tyres are a must there.

However I recommend winter tyres for everyone, even in England. Once you've tried them, you'll never go back to messing about with summer tyres on ice or snow again.
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just looked at the Rochford site and they do a set of alloys for the sportage from £208 +25 p&p.

They do tyres as well, but not winter ones. I got mine from Camskill. I went for the Hankook W440 Icebear, they were only £39 eachand score well in the German ADAC tests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just received my alloys from VikingPaul, 48hrs from Southampton to Wester-Ross. Absolutely spot on wheels, well packed and excellent value and service. Anyone else thinking of winter tyres? If so, Paul still has another three sets of wheels...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are Sportage wheels but I suspect there may be others as they were from an 08 car whose owner upped to 18" wheels. Definitely my gain! Gislaved Eurofrost being fitted today. The local garage owner has these on his own car also. Good enough for me......

Contact Paul on the above number, great service, very helpful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I phoned Paul today and have a set of wheels being sent up to me. Works out at £90 with shipping costs.
Still to choose a winter tyre though.

I thought snow tyres would be big chunky tread patterns to bite through snow but when I started googling it seems they are not snow tyres but winter tyres and it's all about the compound used.

I am slightly sceptical about thier enhanced grip in deep snow which is going to be my biggest headache. Not convinced I need to spend £400 plus on a tread pattern which does not look any more agressive than my present Hankooks.

Has anybody got good experience of using their Sportage in the snow ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet tested my tyres and shiny Kia 16" rims (thanks again Paul, even the mechanic thought they were brand new) in snow, as it is only above 2500' and though I can see Britain's highest road at 2300' from here, still not snowy on the road. My local garage fitted Gislaved Norfrost today and though they are Mud & Snow rated, they were only slightly louder than the 17" factory fit rims / tyres of the Titan with window open or closed. This area was used by the military in WW2 for winter warfare training - and still is - and if the local garage and bus fleet owner uses these on his own car, that is good enough for me. As said before, they rate well in Scandinavia and Canada, they are built in Germany, if it gets really deep, they take aluminium studs too. No doubt other brands are equally good, but all this was enough to part me from £70 per, fitted. Hope this helps.
BTW. last winter I saw Landrovers and other 4x4 brands ditched near here. I have also ramped a Disco up on snow until the wheels spin. Here's hoping........

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hi All,
Just joined the forum and was looking for info on the 2.0 CRDi SPORTAGE KX3 NAV ME which I have just taken delivery of.
I had a Sportage TITAN before and I work in Germany. So last winter I had to invest in winter tyres.
I can truly say the difference from summer tyres and winter tyres is astounding ""“ I never would have thought it would have made that much difference.
Anyway, my new Sportage has now got 18""� wheels so I have to now invest in another set.
I was going to put my old set on e-bay but if anyone is interested send me a PM.
4 Alloy Wheels with Continental 215/65 16 Winter Tyres only used for 4 months.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Damn Just bought a set for our FE and yes had snow tyres on our last front wheel drive car and it was like having a 4 x 4 in the snow!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Is it possible to post pictures on this forum?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
GMac said:
I phoned Paul today and have a set of wheels being sent up to me. Works out at £90 with shipping costs.
Still to choose a winter tyre though.

I thought snow tyres would be big chunky tread patterns to bite through snow but when I started googling it seems they are not snow tyres but winter tyres and it's all about the compound used.

I am slightly sceptical about thier enhanced grip in deep snow which is going to be my biggest headache. Not convinced I need to spend £400 plus on a tread pattern which does not look any more agressive than my present Hankooks.

Has anybody got good experience of using their Sportage in the snow ?

It's not just the compound, the tyres are made of porous rubber and have small channels to "suck" water off of the top of the ice. When it's really cold (colder than -15 C) you'll get fantastic grip on ice and snow as it is extremely dry. But when it's above -15 or so, you get a layer of water on the ice, this is what makes it slippery. Winter tyres are designed to remove this water so you get some grip. The real danger zone is between 0 and -5 C, ie the wet slushy stuff and wet ice.

Standard 4x4 tyres will probably be fine on fresh snow, but deadly on ice or refrozen compacted snow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since posting my last entry I did read an article on a canadian magazine site saying much the same thing.
Just got to get the money together to pay for them. With christmas looming it's a lot of cash to lay out.

Drove in my first snow last night!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got my set of used alloys from Viking Paul today and I am fair chuffed with them, so thanks Paul.

Although I am a bit tight for cash I need to get some winter tyres as the snow is here in Aberdeenshire.

Grip on the OEM tyres is good enough for traction under acceleration and I have no fear of getting stuck, but the Sportage is heavy and slides a lot under braking on compacted slush. The ABS kicks in as soon as I touch the brakes on any kind of downhill slope.

I tried spinning the wheels on purpose on a couple of up hills and I could feel the rear drive kick in and the front wheels stopped spinning so I am quite please with it's performance so far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Scuse my ignorance guys but what are these snow wheels that you're all on about and do I really need them. I have friends in Norway (Bergen) and they must put on their snow wheels by law in October. I had a close look at them and the tyres are studded with rubber spikes. Not sure if I need those here(Belfast) but are there snow wheels specifically designed for UK and how much are they? Regards Johnathan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Jonathan1. In many countries by law you have to use winter tyres in winter. This means you have to swap from what we use to tyres that have a rubber compound more suited to colder weather and are designed to be able to give you more grip on ice and snow. The most convenient way of doing this is to have two sets of 4 wheels, one set fitted with summer tyres and one set fitted with winter tyres. Then you just have to swap complete wheels and do not have to mess about taking tyres on and off of rims. This does mean you have to have the storage space though!

Most winter tyres are studless asstudded tyresare often banned in cities, since the studs tear the tarmac and this can create a fine dust which causes breathing problems for people.

Many countries do not use salt on the roads and they expect you to have the proper tyres for the conditions. In this country, if you just drive short distances around town, you probably won't benefit much from winter tyres. But if you do a lot of miles especially in the country I think they are worth it, even in this country. One slip on the ice and your insurance excess may be as much as a set of winter wheels.

If you don't have the storage space there are also what are called "all season" tyres, which are halfway between winter and summer tyres, so you can use them all year round, but obviously, they are a compromise.

There are many sites on the web where you can buy these tyres, eg Camskill, Tyremen, Mytyres, Black Circles, Pneus-online to name a few.

Before you buy, check the reviews on how the tyres perform. Some brands are truly BAD!

A set of tyres for my car cost £168, then my local garage charged about £35 to fit them to my wheels. I bought a set of new alloys from Rochford, which set me back £238 inc delivery, but you could get steel ones from a scap yard for less (Or Paul may may have a cheap set...pm him).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks M4trundler, I'll check the compromise tyres so I don't have to keep chopping and changing. Here in Northern Ireland the Gulf Stream that runs up the Irish Sea tends to keep our Winters "mild" however the current cold snap is set to run throughout next week. Yes you're right one slip in ice and thats your ins up and we pay thru the nose here in NI. I'll price them and let you know what I got. Cheers Johnathan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts