Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the long nights are beginning to draw in
, thought it would be a good idea to start thinking about Winter tyres. Goodyear have recently released the Ultragrip 8. The Ultragrip 7+ got really good reviews last year, so hopefully the 8 will be even better. Mytyres are doing a 5% discount on all tyres at the moment and as the Ultragrip 8 is going for £65, I thought I'd order a couple, before the prices rocket up for the winter season. Will probably order a couple of summer tyres as well while the discount is available.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
M4trundler
You should not fit winter tyres on one axle only regardless of the car being front or rear wheel drive. You will get moving better without doubt (providing you fit them to the drive wheels of course) but it will upset the handling balance which is undesirable in poor conditions (afront wheel drive car like the Rio will become tail happy) and the brake balance will also be way out (the rears will lock up due to the lack of grip).

Don't forget to tell your insurance, Aviva did not charge me last winter but some do.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
suttonseven said:
M4trundler
You should not fit winter tyres on one axle only regardless of the car being front or rear wheel drive. You will get moving better without doubt (providing you fit them to the drive wheels of course) but it will upset the handling balance which is undesirable in poor conditions (afront wheel drive car like the Rio will become tail happy) and the brake balance will also be way out (the rears will lock up due to the lack of grip).

Don't forget to tell your insurance, Aviva did not charge me last winter but some do.

Paul
No worries there Paul, I already have a set of 4 winter wheels from last year, but the ones I had on the front are down to about 6 mm. I'll swap to winters around mid October, then once the fronts get down to the point where they are no good anymore, I'll put the Goodyears on.

Didn't bother telling the insurance co last year as I didn't see it as any of their business. It's not a modification of the car, simply a case of having the right tyres for the conditions. In Germany, since Dec last year, it's the law to have to have winter tyres in the winter. So if my UKinsurance is to be valid in Germany I have to use winters, so I comply with the law. Then I read about some people in the paper having problems with their insurance companies regarding winter tyres. So when I came to renew mine recently I told them I use winter tyres and they were not bothered about it at all. I was told it's best to inform them but not essential. I pointed out about the law change in Germany and they knew nothing about it!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Didn't bother telling the insurance co last year as I didn't see it as any of their business. It's not a modification of the car, simply a case of having the right tyres for the conditions. In Germany, since Dec last year, it's the law to have to have winter tyres in the winter. So if my UKinsurance is to be valid in Germany I have to use winters, so I comply with the law. Then I read about some people in the paper having problems with their insurance companies regarding winter tyres. So when I came to renew mine recently I told them I use winter tyres and they were not bothered about it at all. I was told it's best to inform them but not essential. I pointed out about the law change in Germany and they knew nothing about it!
[/QUOTE]

I fear a debate on this is on the cards. Watch this space

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Post got me thinking about "winter tyres". Bought a set for the BMW last winter but they were difficult to find and quite expensive. Now the Mrs is travelling further to work thought I should look at getting a set fitted to the Ceedwheels I got on e-bay last year before the winter panic sets in. Looked at the e-bay place I bought the BMW ones from, had stock but would not budge on price. Nothing locally, tyreman up the street said that no one sells winter tyres in the UK.Looked at Mytyres as suggested by M4trundler, prices looked good but when I checked a day later they had increased prices by approx 10% (after the 5% discount) plus when I e-mailed them they had no stock of anything, why put them on the web and waste peoples time? Found a company called Event Tyres in a Google search. Prices looked very good for all in fitted at home or work,sent a message for them to call me back. Phone rang 10 minutes later, tyres in stock, arranged to fit them yesterday morning. Fitter arrived as arranged and did a cracking job, first time I have never had a mark left on alloys, best part was I saved about £60 over the closest price by the time I had got them fitted. Well recommended, do"summer tyres"as well of course.
Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably now we've geared up for winter, we'll have the mildest winter on record, but still at least we're prepared! I'm sure I'll have to go to Germany during the winter period so it won't be money wasted.
Glad I got my order in for the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 when I did. Looks like they are out of stock now. Mytyres are sometimes brilliant and sometimes very annoying! You have to check everyday for prices as they change all the time and so does their stock. Sometimes you can get a bargain there and other times they are twice as expensive as for example Camskill.

Did you stick to the same width tyres for your Ceed, or did you go down a size? The car normally runs 195/55/15, but the normal advice is to reduce width for winters, so I went for 185/65/14. Trouble is, a lot of the discount tyre places don't do the best tyres in this size.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Spot on regarding it will probably be a mild winter but after the last 3 I have come to the conclusion I would rather have them than be without. They are cheaper than replacement summer tyres thus in the long term will possibly save me money. Firstbought winter tyres in 1989 I think, G o l f GTI, rubbish in snow, got passed by a Marina!!!!! on a gentle hill, totally embarrased, had original steel wheels thus put winter tyres on those. Not bothered for 10 years or more after the winters became milder.
Both the Ceed and BMW are fitted with 17" wheels, bought a set of genuine1 series16" alloys for the BMW off e-bay, strait, a bit scabby, cheap,perfect for winter tyres. BMW were offering a set of 16" steel wheels at the time with 195 55 16" wintertyres fitted for a special offer all in price of about £900, not a bargain I think. On my car the standard tyres are 205 55 16" V, the 205 50 17" V fitted were part of the option pack. Aviva wanted more money if I fitted steel wheels but nothing if I fitted alloys and I stuck with the same size tyre as fitted as standard to avoid a long discussion with a call centre, it was bad enough getting them to understand the difference between a run flat and normal tyre, conversation at one point went "so you want to fit 4 flat tyres sir?", nearly lost the will to live.

Got the Ceed wheels off e-bay, brand new with new tyres on, only driven into the show room off the transporter and were replaced with 18" ones. I was the only bidder, could not believe the seller let them go at the price. Aviva were again happy since they were a sizecombination from the range, no more to pay. Fitted with exactly the same size tyre as original, 205 55 16" V.

Should add that what I have on both cars are Kleber Quadraxer all season tyres and not strictly winter tyres. Even with our bad winters we don't really get enough deep packed snow to warrant true winter tyres IMHO and these Klebers and afew other brands (Vredestein, Hankook and Nokian) are certificated with the 3 peak symbol which makes them legal to use in severe weather in countries that require winter tyres fitting by law, most so called"all season tyres" are not up to the job at all, just ordinary tyres with 4 pretty symbols on to lure the buyer. In an ideal world I would have looked for suitable 15" steel wheels for both cars (they are available of course on low spec models) but with the insurance to consider its not worth the hassle.

After I fitted the 16" wheels to the Ceed last winter it was way better than it was on the 17" wheels, with the Klebers on it should be much better again but not really praying for snow to test them, prefer not to drive in it with so many idiots on the road who have'nt a clue.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
suttonseven said:
Spot on regarding it will probably be a mild winter but after the last 3 I have come to the conclusion I would rather have them than be without. They are cheaper than replacement summer tyres thus in the long term will possibly save me money. Firstbought winter tyres in 1989 I think, G o l f GTI, rubbish in snow, got passed by a Marina!!!!! on a gentle hill, totally embarrased, had original steel wheels thus put winter tyres on those. Not bothered for 10 years or more after the winters became milder.
Both the Ceed and BMW are fitted with 17" wheels, bought a set of genuine1 series16" alloys for the BMW off e-bay, strait, a bit scabby, cheap,perfect for winter tyres. BMW were offering a set of 16" steel wheels at the time with 195 55 16" wintertyres fitted for a special offer all in price of about £900, not a bargain I think. On my car the standard tyres are 205 55 16" V, the 205 50 17" V fitted were part of the option pack. Aviva wanted more money if I fitted steel wheels but nothing if I fitted alloys and I stuck with the same size tyre as fitted as standard to avoid a long discussion with a call centre, it was bad enough getting them to understand the difference between a run flat and normal tyre, conversation at one point went "so you want to fit 4 flat tyres sir?", nearly lost the will to live.

Got the Ceed wheels off e-bay, brand new with new tyres on, only driven into the show room off the transporter and were replaced with 18" ones. I was the only bidder, could not believe the seller let them go at the price. Aviva were again happy since they were a sizecombination from the range, no more to pay. Fitted with exactly the same size tyre as original, 205 55 16" V.

Should add that what I have on both cars are Kleber Quadraxer all season tyres and not strictly winter tyres. Even with our bad winters we don't really get enough deep packed snow to warrant true winter tyres IMHO and these Klebers and afew other brands (Vredestein, Hankook and Nokian) are certificated with the 3 peak symbol which makes them legal to use in severe weather in countries that require winter tyres fitting by law, most so called"all season tyres" are not up to the job at all, just ordinary tyres with 4 pretty symbols on to lure the buyer. In an ideal world I would have looked for suitable 15" steel wheels for both cars (they are available of course on low spec models) but with the insurance to consider its not worth the hassle.

After I fitted the 16" wheels to the Ceed last winter it was way better than it was on the 17" wheels, with the Klebers on it should be much better again but not really praying for snow to test them, prefer not to drive in it with so many idiots on the road who have'nt a clue.

Paul
Don't get me started on insurance companies! They are so useless.

Not sure all the people stuck on the M40 last year in deep snow will agree with you about the need for proper winter tyres! I think if you are going to go to the trouble of getting a second set of wheels, you may as well get winters rather than "all season" tyres. Modern winter tyres are amazing. Mine last year were actually quieter than my summer tyres and fuel economy was not affected at all. Wear rates were quite good too. I did notice a bit of reduced grip in the wet, but nothing serious and the latest generation coming out this year have improved wet grip capability.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its the poor wet performance from Winter Tyres I had in the past that persuaded me to try these Klebers. We get far more wet days than snowy days and since as I said above the Klebers are approved for use in countries where it is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres I am happy that they should be fine in the UK snow, don't quote me on that when I am stuck.

In comparrison tothe real winters we had back in the late 70's/early 80's the snow we had last December would have been a short shower and no more. Drifts were higher than cars and many roads only had one lane open. Back then we used to see snow ploughs and gritters but last winter they were not allowed out during what they consideredthe real bad weather for health and safety reasons. I drove through 2 really bad winters in a Spitfire and never got stuck once, even got goingafter a total numpty in a borrowed car hit me head on. Narrow tyres and little power probably helped.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
suttonseven said:
... I am happy that they should be fine in the UK snow, don't quote me on that when I am stuck.

Paul
Well I'm sure we'll probably get the mildest winter on record now...sitting there on Christmas day eating ice lollies...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
browncharlie said:
Mobile Phones have change the way of people just a call and people can reach any person in any part of the world the communication has make much more easier even people can have Spam while on holidays to. I am using a tin of Spam and would like to have some good smart Spam with latest android OS and other best features.

Are they any good in the snow? Perhaps we would be better off using tyres made of Spam.

Edited by: Techno

1 - 16 of 16 Posts