Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to find anywhere that does winter tyres for my Ceed CRDI SW.
Kwik Fit said they didn't have any in stock and that when they did get them they would go like hot cakes. Apparently Continental didn't make enough of them. Tried a few online sites but they can't provide for the size required.

Kwik Fit said they would call me when they got them in but would only fit them in sets of four. When I asked why since I reckined I only needed the extra grip on the driving wheels, the reply was that car could slip out at the back. My next question was why then do snow chains only come for the driving wheels. He couldn't answer that one. Possibly trying to fox the customer?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The reason they would only fit a set of four was that unlike the snow chains that you could and would remove when on clear roads (if you can find any in Scotland at the moment) the winter tyres would remain fitted. The difference in grip between front and rear would completely unbalance the car for normal road use.

So besides trying to maximise their sales of winter tyres they are giving you correct advice and protecting their Ar** as if anything went wrong you could blame/sue them for negligence.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric. You say it would unbalance the car. Would the difference be so noticeable? As far as I can find out, the winter tyres have a softer compound with added grit (for want of a better word) with a different tread pattern that grips in the wet and expels snow easier. they also don't harden up in low temps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Acar is normally designed based upon the assumption it willhave the same sort of tyre characteristics on all four wheels. From this the suspension and chassis is tuned to provide predictable steering, braking, cornering.

Putting just winter tyres on the front will change this balance quite a lot making the car very unpredictable in some slightly abnormal circumstances. In some countries it would be illegal, probably not in the UK but I don't know.

The result would be something like increasing the tyre pressure by about 15 psi in the rear tyres with normal pressures in the front, you could carefully experiment, to see what this might do, probably best on private roads though as that would be illegal on the public ones if you did it and could give you lots of point on your licence.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Ahhh brings back memories of fitting town and country tyres to my 75 Mini. If you fit winter/snow tyres to the front on a FWD car and not the back you may experience oversteer as the back comes round to meet the front. If you put them on the back of a RWD car and not the front you may experience understeer and the front will wash out / go wide on corners.
But guys If you can only get or afford two then put them on the driven wheels but bare in mind the oversteer/understeer feeling.
Wish my boss would put some on my van as its hellish in the snow especially when its empty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I'm convinced guys. It'll be 4, when I can get them. No one up here in Glasgow has any!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Why not order a set from one of the internet tyre companies and get your local garage to fit and balance them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go to my tyre online there cheap unless you want slicks for the summer that I'm running on allyear round now go to cam skill and there cheap for winter one too :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've just put 4 x Goodyear 4Season tyres on our Soul. These were rated as "outstanding" in the AutoBild test. Got them from mytyres.co.uk and then paid the local fitted in cash, rather than paying for the fitting through mytres, which saved another £14. Mytyres is the only suppler in the UK who is selling these. Goodyear aren't officially bringing them into the UK until end of 2011.There's lots of tyre reviews on the net. I decided on these all season tyres as they are good for the winter and seem to perform as good as most summer tyres in the summer.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Goodyear 7+ is the one, but pricey. The Continental TS800 was also top of the leader board, but also expensive. I went for the Hankook W440 icebear as they were also in the top 3 of the ADAC tests and were much cheaper at Camskill.

I wouldn't go to Kwik fit for anything. Got nothing good to say about them. Same for all the big chain tyre places - useless $£"$***!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
...etyres... are the only place i can find winter tyres, demand has outstripped supply in most of the country due to early snow. They source tyres from Germany etc, I has 4 delivered from Germany in about 2 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts