Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sportage I have ( 2.0 crdi xs 2006 ) is my first 4 wheel drive, , but as yet i have not driven it in winter conditions, I am getting ready for a new set of tyres and I am a bit confused as to whether or not it would be advisable to fit winter tyres, can any body tell me or offer any advice on this subject ?, also can you drive all year on winter tyres , or is it better to swop tyres from season to season?

·
Registered
662 Posts
true winter tyres are very soft so on dry roads will wear very fast not advisable to run them dureing summer as the grip will also be less and they are noisey depends on what your winter conditions are and what road you drive on

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Paul , I will only use the car for general winter motoring , i have a static caravan in the country, and last year had to be pulled up the exit road (as many did) with a tractor to the main road, I had a merc auto at the time, it was very poor in the snow, and decided after the last winter I needed a 4 wheel drive hence the Sportage, Is there a tyre that can be used for a mixture of all weather driving

·
Registered
9 Posts
See also "winter wheels / tyres" a bit further down the forum topics. Gislaved are a Swedish company and well rated in Canada where both know a thing or two about cold weather. Hankook Ice Bear do well in German tests.
The biggest difference is not so much the tread, as the casing material. "Normal" tyres are designed down to +7c, winter tyres go way below zero happily. Summers go very stiff - like cross-ply if you remember those, winters stay very flexible so getting more tread on the road. The pattern is designed to help and friction material in the tread helps on slippery stuff. Google winter tyres. It is quite a read............

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think there are 2 ways you could go. First, buy a second set of wheels and fit 'dedicated' snow tyres and change your wheels over for winter. This is not a cheap option and may give you a problem with storage. However, it is what they do in countries fairly certain of having hard winters every year such as Canada or the south of Germany. The second option is to go for all season tyres. These will have a better cold weather and snow performance than the summer tyres most Brits use all year round. Personally I like Vredestein Quatracs (there is a Quatrac SUV which I intend to fit on my Sportage once I've worn down my currentM + S tyres) but if you go down this route try and find an all season with the snowflake symbol as well as the M+ S logo.

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts