Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm off to Switzerland for Xmas/New Year in my new KX3 and want to fit winter tyres before I go. I've been told that fitting narrower, higher profile tyres on 17"rims is generally a better option for winter driving than just replacing the existing summer tyres (235/55 R18) on the 18" alloys. My local dealer is very vague about whether this is a viable option and whether it is possible to buy 17" steel rims that would fit. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or comments before I commit to the expense of 4 new tyres.

Many thanks.

Chas

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Go for 16" rims. Both wheels and tyres are cheaper. If you use the standard 215/70R16 tyres your insurance company is likely to accept it without question too.
Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
308 Posts
when i looked into it i was informed that as long the wheel has the correct sized tyre for that car on it the rolling radius will remain the same and you'll have no problems. That was for a freelander 2 winters ago.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Chas,
I have standard 235/55 R18 winter Kuhmo tyres fitted and had no problems whatsoever last winter in snow & ice.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
As Techno described the more standard/common the tyre/wheel the cheaper it is.
I had to shop around before I got a reasonable deal.
But beware as I found out last year ""“ the moment the snow flakes hit the ground the vendor I was about to purchase from put his prices up by 20 quid!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Many thanks for you quick responses - much appreciated. After reading Techno's advice I've been trying to source 16" rims but no-one is sure if they will fit the new sportage so may well just go with winter tyres on the existing alloys, especially as ianv had no problems last winter.

Thanks again to all who replied.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just wanted to tag on to this old topic.
I have found a great deal on some brand new alloys and Nankang winter tyres which I am considering for my KX3. The thing is the cheapest option is 16" ?
The supplier says that they will be fine, but as my car rides on 18" wheels will the ride height be affected ? or am I just being thick ???

Tyres are 215/70/16

Edited by: garynic

·
Registered
413 Posts
UPDATE- Hi chaps I have spoken to my local dealer and they confirmed that the 215/70/16 will be fine.
price for the new set of wheels is £599 delivered if anyone is intersted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are they original Kia 16" alloys as fittes to the 1 spec?

·
Registered
413 Posts
No they're aftermarket

have also found steel wheels which would come in at £435.60

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Gary. I use winters on my BMW (16" Contis). I will see how the Kia does this winter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Gary, do you havea link for the whhels and tyres, I may be interested myself, cheers !!

·
Registered
416 Posts
garynic said:
Just wanted to tag on to this old topic.
I have found a great deal on some brand new alloys and Nankang winter tyres which I am considering for my KX3. The thing is the cheapest option is 16" ?
The supplier says that they will be fine, but as my car rides on 18" wheels will the ride height be affected ? or am I just being thick ???

Tyres are 215/70/16
I found a massive difference between brands of winter tyres . I haven't driven on Nankang winter tyres but read a review and in general people were impressed by them. I've opted for Nokians for the third time as I have found the performance to be brilliant in the snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts