Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 crdi xs sportage, Does any body know how to get at the windscreen washer pump, mine was frozen up over the cold spell ,but surely must be thawed out now?, windscreen wipers are working, and I am told that the pump is on the same fuse, there isn't a noise from around the pump area so I can only assume the worst, you cant see the pump from under the bonnet, wondered if any body has had a similar problem in the past, and if so how they got it sorted

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem - the pump is cunningly positioned just behind the drivers side 'air intake' vent in the front bumper inboard of the fog lamp. You can defrost it by blowing hot air into the vent - I used an old hairdryer, it took about 5 minutes (outside temp -8) but once it was freed it carried on working for the rest of the day.

I'm thinking of blocking off that vent to see if it helps.

Hope this is useful!

·
Registered
197 Posts
saltymike said:
I had the same problem - the pump is cunningly positioned just behind the drivers side 'air intake' vent in the front bumper inboard of the fog lamp. You can defrost it by blowing hot air into the vent - I used an old hairdryer, it took about 5 minutes (outside temp -8) but once it was freed it carried on working for the rest of the day.

I'm thinking of blocking off that vent to see if it helps.

Hope this is useful!

Your post stirred me to take a closer look at the washer bottle/pump. I see what you mean about the air intake - the chill factor at speed is obviously not going to help - I've stuffed some rolls of bubble wrap in to the back of the bumper via the air intake - it doesn't protect the top of the tank but at least the bottom bit with the pump gets some protection and I'll try to come-up with a better idea (perhaps remove the sump guard and then block off the vent from inside?). This wouldn't be possible on the MY09 with its redesigned bumper as the vent is covered by mesh.

The pump is just visible by looking through the hole in the guard by the towing eye - it seems to be totally encapsulated in the tank so I'm not sure that it could be separated if it had to be replaced. Getting the tank out does not look easy but it may just drop down once the top securing bolt is undone.....does anyone out there know?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've found this on KGIS - it relates to North American models but may give some clues:

<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top>
Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 ns:myObj="urn:my-">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>2.</TD>
Remove the front bumper cover. (Refer to BD group - Front bumper)
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>3.</TD>
Remove the washer hose and the washer motor connector (A).
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>4.</TD>
Remove the washer reservoir after removing 2 bolts.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" vAlign=top width=12>5.</TD>
Installation is the reverse of removal.
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure the pump can be separated from the tank but haven't tried. As you say, to get at the pump / tank it is necesary to remove the front 'bumper'. You might be interestedin the way the pump works: There is only one pump for the front and rear washers. The pump has two 'one-way' valves attached to it, one leads to the front washers and the other to the rear. When the front washers are operated, the pump runs clockwise and the valve associated with the rear washer is closed by water pressure. When the rear washer is operated, the opposite happens. The pump motor is reversed by a relay. You can only wash either front or back, not both together.
I believe this system is used on other makes, so it might be possible to fit a 'different' pump but not sure. It seems to be a very complicated way to save the cost of a second pump / motor, however it does work (when it's not frozen solid!)

As regards preventing further freeze-ups, I think your idea of blocking the vent with bubble wrap or something similar is a good one - I can't see why the vent is there at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts