Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really hope the new rio does not have the same flaw in the design angle of the windscreen.

got yet another chip in the windscreen today while driving along.

unfortunatley this time a repair is out of the question as the small crack has now progressed to over 3 inches just sitting at work not being driven.

seems like yet another insurance claim just like my two previous repairs.

i suspect the diesel rios suffer more as it is easy to cruise at the soon to be legal limit all day long.

id imagine if i were purring along at 60mph chips and cracks may not have developed.

i think there is a design flaw in the angle of the windscreen. if the angle was more gentle then the cracks would not develop.

ho hum

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think that the angle of the windscreen is the problem. I have had two Venga's and have had two windscreens in a year crack. On each occassion the crack has started an inch and a half in from the bottom of the screen just to the right of the drivers wiper wheelbox when viewed from the front.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I see what you mean, I seem to get more chips on my screen than on the bodywork. But I don't think high speed driving is the issue and I've not had problems with cracks from the edges. Almost all my driving is at motorway speeds and I'm still on my first screen after 60K+ miles. I've got one small crack from a stone chip about 5mm long and lots of smaller chips.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think it just depends on the areas you drive in, some roads are never swept and others are swept regularly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dual motorway section I drive down every day was treated with the cheap and cheerful way of spraying a load of stones onto sticky tarmac then get everyone to drive over them for two weeks.

this was done last summer and every now and then there are still loose stones being flicked up.
ho hum.

Anyways new screen tomorrow

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeh there is some roads round my way that have been done that way. Been a while since I had to replace windscreens mind you. Think its down to luck most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts