Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is arriving having problems with windscreen fogging/condensation and takes several minutes clear with ventilation. Does anybody have any tips or know of any products that can help with this

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have your AC on? It takes 2 or 3 mins forAC to heat up and switch on if it's cold and begindehumidifing the air.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We occasionally have this problem and I'm considering putting a fan heater in the car to heat it up in the morning. I've done this before with other cars and it works well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you don't already do it, it might be an idea to use AC for a while before you complete a journey. This should remove moisture from inside the car so there'll be less condensing on the glass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for replies guys, got in the car this morning to iced up windscreen inside as well as outside.Will try AC suggestion first before thinking of buying fan heater.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Might be worth checking that you've not engaged air recirculation by mistake - it tends to make the interior very moist. Still look on the bright side, it's only been fogged-up because we have been having brilliant weather in Scotland with glorious clear skies.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have a sunroof get it checked for wind noise at about 60-65mph as it may need adjusting and may not be quite sealing properly

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mr Kia said:
If you have a sunroof get it checked for wind noise at about 60-65mph as it may need adjusting and may not be quite sealing properly

I've still got major wind noise from the sunroof at speeds over 60mph. Took into my dealer who said they couldn't hear any problem (but I'm guessing they never took it up over 60mph).

Is there an official tech bulletin on this so that I can revisit the dealer and ask them to look again at the sunroof, otherwise it'll just be a repeat again of dealer having the car in and saying there's nothing wrong with it?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I read somewhere that the noise can stopped by adjusting the sunroof so that it is a few mmfurtherforwards when closed. If it's true, it's probably a dealer job though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
run car with A/C on you can move heater controls to hot if you wish hot air and also set the controls to fresh air remove all damp items ie umbrellas coats etc

·
Registered
437 Posts
3pic said:
Mr Kia said:

I've still got major wind noise from the sunroof at speeds over 60mph. Took into my dealer who said they couldn't hear any problem (but I'm guessing they never took it up over 60mph).

Is there an official tech bulletin on this so that I can revisit the dealer and ask them to look again at the sunroof, otherwise it'll just be a repeat again of dealer having the car in and saying there's nothing wrong with it?
Hi sorry for lateness in reply,
There is no actual TSB number but it is in the August Technical Update with a download of what to do, literally just an adjustment on 4 bolts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just to get the thread back on the track of condensation I think there is a definite fault in respect of this. Ive had many cars with AC but the level of condensation (not just mist but on the point of running water) in this car is ridiculous. I did 10 miles today left the car for 2 hours and when i returned I had to mop the inside of the front screen with paper towel before i could set off.
It shouldnt be necessary to use AC, where is the moisture from that is condensing on the screen. I have concerns there is some water ingress somewhere which is causing the problem.......its like going back to the olden days of the 70s when every car leaked and cars were frozen inside and out all winter.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Have a look under the carpets where the sound proofing is that stuff is like a sponge and soaks up loads o water. In the winter there is not enough heat to dry the stuff out and with short journeys that doesn't help too. You may have to take the carpets out and the sound proofing to see where the leaks coming from, a job I dont envy you for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My previous car, a Renault Koleos 4x4, had a similar problem with condensation.

I tracked it down to the rubber mats I had in the car becuase I found you brought your wet feet into the car and the water pooled on the rubber mats and with a short car journey and such a large interior space the mats never got dry quick leaving mositure in the car.

It was worse when the snow came as you'd leave big lumps of snow on the mats and in the morning, after a frost, I found my windscreen had ice on the inside which is just a nightmare to get rid of. The solution was to either replace the rubber mats with carpet ones which could absorb more of the wetness or, what I did in the end, put down some newspaper on the rubber mats overnight.

It also helps to have the heater blowing into the footwell ratehr than just onto the windscreen. The Koleos by the way was ugly but a brilliant car, reliable, solid and didn't have half the niggles the Kia has (ie, sunroof wind noise, no dashboard light dimmer, no lights on warning, no washer fluid empty warning light, etc).
Edited by: 3pic

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does it in my venga & a picanto I have as a courtesy car at the moment. Personally I think its down to the lack of Insulation in the door panels (there isn't any) between the door panel & plastic trim.

John

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
3pic said:
The Koleos by the way was ugly but a brilliant car, reliable, solid and didn't have half the niggles the Kia has (ie, sunroof wind noise, no dashboard light dimmer, no lights on warning, no washer fluid empty warning light, etc).
Looks ok to me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get the AC drain hose checked to make sure its blocked, ecause if your using the AC to clear the moisture, it creates condensation and if the drain is blocked or kinked from manufacture it will leak into the car from the heater box and effectively you are making it worse by using the AC.
Im guessing they are not doing a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sunroofs have been mentioned - many years ago I had one fitted to a car and it had drains built-in which were blocked accidentially during installation resulting in a damp interior....not sure whether the new Sportage sun roof has drains too? Probably not as I expect it seals but worth a quick look.

The wife's Panda 4 x4 suffered from damp carpets too - in that case the drain holes around the heater block under the bonnet had become blocked by leaves so it filled-up with rain water which entered the car via the heater pipes.

In both cases though the carpets were clearly wet.

Richard

·
Registered
216 Posts
The car is only 6 weeks old, surely it shouldnt have problems with blocked pipes and hoses. I dont have rubber mats so its not that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts