Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi supercabby mentioned fitting a chip to his carens, i was wondering how much difference it would
make to my mk2 in the way of fuel consumption as my two litre is struggling to get much past 40 mpg or 45 on a long run, how much do they cost and are they easy to fit, has anyone out there an opinion on fitting/running with a chip.

griff.

er5 80mpg but no aircon.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had 1 ofmine chipped, 112bhp up to 136bhp, extra 30+nm of torque, no noticeable difference in mpg either way. The extra torque was the best bit as I was towing a large twin axle caravan back then, it certainly made for a much smoother ride & you can engage a higher gear a little earlier but if you're only looking for extra mpg then I would say spend your money elsewhere on extra maintenance making sure it's running as "sweet" as possible & don't forget weekly tyre pressure checks.

Mark.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks supacabby,
can you remember the price or the make/supplier of the chip.as i like the carens and will keep it for three or more years, i bought it last summer to replace a vectra petrol.

griff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks davy,i have looked at the site, did you fit it yourself it says 15 to 30mins fitting, as my carens is due a service soon i thought i could buy one and fit it after the service, to see if the service makes any difference, fingers crossed.
griff.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Griff its very easy to fit. It connects into the fuel rail pressure sensor. Undo the plug that goes to sensor, plug one end of tuning box into sensor the other plug joins into the plug you just disconnected. Its that easy. Locate box in a vibration free and dry area of engine bay. Turn the adjusting screw (anti clockwise I think) on tuning box one turn at a time from the set position and road test till you get your desired power increase. I only have mine one turn out from its set position and its ok for me. Instructions are supplied with the box.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks davy, i will wait for the next service and decide then, what to do if i get one i will
add it to the end of this thread, a service and mot at the same time it's not going to be

a cheap time for me.

griff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine was appx £200 but not a "portable" fit, it was done via the ecu. There are several on Ebay if you do a search.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hurry up and get the plug and play griff im very interested in the performance improvement but what extra stress will it put on a week carens gearbox? mine has a vibration @1500 revs and thats where i want to drive all the time being a trucky so i keep it above and i dont get more than 36/38 unless i work hard at it, then only 40 max on a steady run down the a30 [we do have 1 or 2 decent roads down here if you are a biker] please keep us informed ,what a joy to have more power AND fuel economy

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'll be in your neck of the woods next week HBC, 4 nights in Brixham for a quick spring midweek break! If you spot a shiny Black 53 plate Mk2 with Brighton taxi blurb all over it then you'll know it's me!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi hotboxcharlie,
the mot is due mid may so will get the 10k service at the same time,

one tankfull of diesel then i will get the chip, this way i will have an idea what the mpg is before and after the chip is fitted, yes i have a bike or two er-5 for work 80-85mpg.

i will let you know how things work out.

griff.

the carens is better in winter with snow on the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry i should have said crdi 2.0 litre diesel auto box 86k on the clock.
i tried a vectra diesel 1.9 auto 2009 which managed to average 47mpg.

thats the sort of figure i was hoping for, as the manual 2,2 diesel vectra gets over 50mpg.

griff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
nice 1 griff i have been a biker for 45yrs many brit and jap bikes, but i have just given up as i have neck problems and merging into traffic is a concern to me[ its my life ]my previous car was a S40 and prior to that rover 45 with L ENGINE [ wish i had kept it] i had a "rover ron" tuning box on that it improved the lower down torq and i always beat 50mpg ,some so called tuning devices are only a resistor in a box [my belief only and i cant prove it]so a genuine tuning box will be good news, but i am concerned about the manual gearbox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the crdi has had it's 10,000 mile service, the mpg is still the same, and i have checked the tyre pressures, tommorow i will fit the pro-bitz which looks simple enough, a full tank of diesel and then i wll let you know how things work out, fingers crossed.
griff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have fitted over 740 PowerBox tuning boxes to Kia's over the past 3 years. I have one fitted as a demo on our own Sedona 2.9 VGT AND ARE SAVING 15% on fuel.
There are many on the market but we believe we have one of the best re-programmable units out there. As a member of the UK Kia Sorento forum, we have sold over 600 units just for sorento owners and are highly respected by the forum...At present we have a special offer @ £229 plus postage...i would be pleased if you took a minute to view our product.

http://www.griffinmotortuning.com/tuningbox.asp

Taff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts