Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 picanto has 165 60 r 14 wheels can I fit 185 55 r 14 wheels ? Advice please

·
Registered
320 Posts
it will give you a miss read on the speedo, as you will be changing the rolling circumference,

I think they put a 15" alloy on that year but that would be a change in profile to, also the original steel wheel may be the wrong width for the wider tyre

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will give you a miss read on the speedo, as you will be changing the rolling circumference,

I think they put a 15" alloy on that year but that would be a change in profile to, also the original steel wheel may be the wrong width for the wider tyre
I got used alloys which are size 14 and take a 185 tyre .. so I want to put a 185 55 r14 ...is 185 too wide ? Will it touch the sides ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2012 picanto has 165 60 r 14 wheels can I fit 185 55 r 14 wheels ? Advice please
I would have thought so, it's not that big a jump in tyre width. The problem you may have is with a thing called the pitch circle diameter. The wheels may look to have the same number of holes for the wheel studs but they may be wider apart or even closer than yours. Easiest thing to do is place your spare wheel over one of the wider wheels to see if the holes line up. Do this with the wheel flat on its back on the floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have thought so, it's not that big a jump in tyre width. The problem you may have is with a thing called the pitch circle diameter. The wheels may look to have the same number of holes for the wheel studs but they may be wider apart or even closer than yours. Easiest thing to do is place your spare wheel over one of the wider wheels to see if the holes line up. Do this with the wheel flat on its back on the floor.
Thanks for the advice...the holes line up...my worry is the width of the tyre which is 185 and the current tyre is 165...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the advice...the holes line up...my worry is the width of the tyre which is 185 and the current tyre is 165...
A 185 tyre is 20mm wider than a 165 tyre. The number is width in mm. if you have more than 20mm between your 165 tyre and the wheel arch you should be OK. If in doubt go to a small tyre fitters and slip them a fiver for the reassurance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A 185 tyre is 20mm wider than a 165 tyre. The number is width in mm. if you have more than 20mm between your 165 tyre and the wheel arch you should be OK. If in doubt go to a small tyre fitters and slip them a fiver for the reassurance.
Not necessarily correct....

As i have stated above if the offset of the wheel pushes the outer rim further out then it could rub, even before he puts a bigger tyre on there....

·
Registered
109 Posts

As i have stated above if the offset of the wheel pushes the outer rim further out then it could rub, even before he puts a bigger tyre on there....
Agreed, he really needs to talk to a tyre/wheel fitter to be certain.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts

Even more so when you are on full lock.

Reactions: Bodgerer and KevG57

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,325 Posts
Even more so when you are on full lock.
Also folk forget that bumps, traffic calming measures, heavy braking/cornering etc all compress the suspension and if oversize wheels are fitted that can lead to the tyres rubbing the wing. Just because they look okay on the drive does not mean they have clearance out on the road.

Reactions: Bodgerer

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
...and don't forget to check the clearance all the way from full bump to full rebound on both left and right lock! You don't wan to be clattering something critical (brake pipes etc...).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interested in this post as well. There are a lot of slightly wider tyres on the market which might be suitable substitutes.

Let us know if you ever get the larger wheels though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts