Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just took delivery off my GT line Auto yesterday and just configuring my iPhone. Can anyone tell me do I need before each journey to pair the audio system ro the iPhone manually four Wi-fi connectivity as it does not seem to link the Bluetooth links fine just not the personal hotspot

Thanks Lee

·
Registered
308 Posts
You need an APP on the phone to manage the connection. It detects the BT connection being made, then switches on the Phones HotSpot automatically. When the BT connection is lost, i.e. ignition off, the APP stops the HotSpot on the phone. Look in the Apple APP store for a Kia Connect APP or similar. (I have Android so use a different APP)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You need an APP on the phone to manage the connection. Look in the Apple APP store for a Kia Connect APP or similar. (I have Android so use a different APP)
Are you sure about that? I have read previously about such an app for AA phones which maintain the Wi-Fi connection but I have looked in the Apple Store several times and have never found any appropriate app for Apple CarPlay.

I connect mine each time I enter my car before start-up and even on those occasions when I leave the phone connected and out-of-sight, I need to re-make the connection. If I return to the car within a couple of minutes, it might still be connected but usually the connection has been lost.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you sure about that?
To be honest, in regard to Apple & iOS, I'm not sure - was recounting what I had read in other threads. It was maybe a wrong assumption that iOS would have a 'Auto Connect' hotspot capability as Android is capable of. I seem to remember reading that iOS drops the Hotspot connection if there are no connected devices but there there are ways to keep it alive (as opposed to switching on and off when BT connection is established)

Have a look at Your family will love iOS 13's new personal hotspot feature
or Google How do I make my iPhone hotspot stay on? for similar advice. The downside maybe decreased battery power as the hotspot will be running when away from the car.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The downside maybe decreased battery power as the hotspot will be running when away from the car.
Thanks for that, 'Radiorail'. I have now had a read of those links and the upshot for me is that I'm happy with my present set-up, not finding the re-connect procedure anything of a hardship. The battery life on iPhone X is very good and I see no reason to jepardise the long-term prospects of that battery for the sake of the convenience of not having to reconnect the hotspot each time I use the car.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s, when I hired cars in the USA, they were equipped with an automatic belt-up procedure that I found to be painfully tedious each time I entered the car. The chimes got on my nerves too and I'm just glad that we didn't import that technology into European cars. It's not that I'm anti-automation; I like lots of the modern innovations on our cars, DCT and EPB with Auto-Hold being prime examples.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Same here, I’ve just got into the habit of turning on the hotspot after start up, not ideal as every now & again I do forget.

Indalo, was it the Ford Tempo?..... I hired one of those.....Automated seat belts stupid idea.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Indalo, was it the Ford Tempo?..... I hired one of those.....Automated seat belts stupid idea.
Very possibly, 'ianv', but I hired quite a few cars on my trips over there and several of them were equipped with those seatbelts on runners so you were forced to plug in before the chimes would stop. Big engines but low on HP, married up to a slow-witted slushbox did not make for enjoyable driving. Things have moved on a bit since then but only because of the European/Japanese /Korean influence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the moment I just turn on hotspot when I get in the car and the head unit connects.

When I get my new head unit next week and hopefully then have working bluetooth, i'm hoping to automate it so when the Bluetooth connects to the car, it turns on the hotspot and vice versa.

NB: On my phone the hotspot turns itself off (to save the large power drain) after a period of time with nothing connected, so it does need switching back on. Its not like bluetooth that can just stay on constantly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I leave the hotspot on my phone turned on all the time, connects automatically when i get in the car, worry free

·
Registered
42 Posts
I leave the hotspot on my phone turned on all the time, connects automatically when i get in the car, worry free
Just checked and I can actually stop mine doing the auto turn off. Doesn't it hammer your battery though constantly having it on @Sipwine?

Also my wife and 2 x daughters have phones and tablets set to auto connect to the hotspot on my phone due to them having low data and me having 90GB. But if they were hammering my connection all the time as a default, i'd worry about my data limit too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just checked and I can actually stop mine doing the auto turn off. Doesn't it hammer your battery though constantly having it on @Sipwine?

Also my wife and 2 x daughters have phones and tablets set to auto connect to the hotspot on my phone due to them having low data and me having 90GB. But if they were hammering my connection all the time as a default, i'd worry about my data limit too.
On all the phones I've had, turning off bt and hot-spot has a noticeable effect on the battery. Both use power when 'idle'.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi
Don't really notice the battery getting hammered as there are plenty of other app's and general usage during the day, no noticeable effect on data usage either

1 - 14 of 14 Posts