Kia Owners Club Forum banner
61 - 80 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Cass, as it goes, it was Sporty who's dealer fessed up to his having been damaged. When I ordered my car in August they initially said october delivery, then in early sept they said it should be in by the end of September. It wasn't until I read about the damage story on this forum that I phoned them up (after the end of Sept came and went with no phone call from them...) that they admitted the damage story was true - and even then it was only after kicking up a fuss on Kia's facebook page and then calling customer services and complaining to them too. My name must be dirt at the dealer!

While I'm grateful that they are sorting me out a car I have to say I'm a bit unimpressed that the only information has come from them after I've really had to hassle them on the phone (which I don't really like doing)...

Since all the first editions had/have a sort of unique spec, and I'm assuming full scale production on the "normal" models is now underway, I must confess to being a bit nervous that our cars are going to arrive with something missing or some part of the spec missed off. Maybe this whole experience has left me a bit pessimistic... oh well. Fingers crossed eventually the initially excitement will wake up again when the car arrives!

Jules

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jules

I know exactly what you mean! I feel really let down by Kia and my dealer, especially their lack of information being passed onto me.

I too spoke to Kia Customer Services and they called the guy I deal with at the garage and then came back to me, as I had suspected they had sold my car and they had to order me another, apparently not but you never know! The guy I deal with probably hates me! And today I have to call him to chase him for a cheque I have been waiting weeks on to cover the insurance on thecurtseycar I am using, coz I dont own the car myself the insurance company are charging me a stupid amount to insure a car that is half the size of my new one! So the dealer are paying it, but its taken weeks to get anything back!

Yes the new models are underway, they are due to be release november to be on the road Jan, which is another frustrating thing! Our cars will probably be on the road for a month before all the news ones are out, I was kinda looking forward to driving around in a car that was one of the only ones in the area! No such luck, also the new licence plates come out in Feb dont they, which kind of makes me feel like my car wont be "brand new" anymore!

I hate having to moan and certainly dont like going for compensation or anything like that but kind of feel like with all thats happened and the time thats passed (3 months so far) I should be offered something! But who do you go to? Its not the dealers fault at the end of the day if there is a delay it comes back to Kia, but I cant see myself getting anything from them!! What does everyone else feel and have theyapproachedanyone yet?

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm with you Cass...

I'm trying to be stoic about it. When I first found out about the delay I considered cancelling my order but to be honest, 21k is at the top of my budget (I'm also buying on finance like you) and for the same money there's literally no other car I'd rather drive. OK so we lose the prestige factor of having the car before everyone else, but compared to the same spec 2l diesel in the normal range, we're still quids in, even if I would really like to have the built in sat nav and the sunroof... Xenons and headlight washers I'm not really fussed about - don't have them on my old car and just made sure I kept the car clean. We're still getting a good deal.

But yeah, it'd be nice not to have to chase the dealers for info etc although in reality I don't think we'd have had better luck anywhere else. Reading the honest john forums it seems like a lot of manufacturers have delays with new models, and a lot of dealers have problems keeping their customers informed...

I'm really not sure about asking for compensation... at the end of the day they are lending me a car in November which I'm going to be putting about 3k miles on and taking around Europe, and they're not making me pay for it, so I really can't grumble too much.

So it seems like it's only the 3 of us that are still waiting?!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi!

I know I don't like to ask for that same reason, they are giving me a car, all be it not really one that meets my needs with a young family, and they are paying the additional insurance (when I finally get it back - fingers crossed for tomorrow) but its still so annoying!

I know this might seem like a strange question but does it come with the mats? Its just my last car didn't and I didn't realise that till it came. I saw their mats hanging in the garage so was thinking that if doesn't come with mats (which for 21k you would think it would!) I will be asking for these to be thrown in for sure! I also thought about cancelling it but would only be cutting my nose off, and I am sooooo in love with this car! And again like you say the spec on it is not going to be found anywhere else for that sort of money!

When I spoke to Kia direct they said that there are 6 dealers in my area in total waiting for the sportages too however not sure how true that is as you guys are not in my area at all and all the dealers I called within a 25 mile radius all said theirs had been and gone, but it seems on here there are certainly 3 of us!

All I would like is for some one to say, that there has been a delay in making them or for whatever reason and be done with it. It seems the dealers don't get given much information which must be frustrating for them also!!

I am just hoping and praying it makes it here before xmas! I will be so disappointed if it doesn't. Was it you who mentioned that they only have 1 shipment a month. Do we know when this happens?

Cass

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Cass / Jules

I have to say I have become a little addictive to the posts in this forum to see if anyone has any news. I presume you guys are both waiting for FE Diesel models? I am waiting for the FE petrol model and got told it would be here at the end of October and now this has been pushed back until the end of November and I'm just worried the dates will just keep going back and back. To be fair I did only order at the end of September but once they give you a date you do gear up for it. Ironically got offered a FE diesel in arctic white yesterday (someone had changed their mind) very tempted but am sold on the orange and a colour change is just feeling like too big a sacrifice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was contemplating a petrol FE. Joblings in Bicester said he (Steve) had an Orange Petrol coming in and I could test drive this. I was interested in other colour options and he had two silver FE's coming in. In parallel I was talking to Grovebury in Leighton Buzzard and they had just taken delivery of a Black FE. This was all taking place just last week so it might be worth calling those dealerships. I found a Diesel FE just by chance via this forum. I'm please I didn't go for the petrol variant now. I would question the economy figures. If I take it very easy I'm getting 39-40 from the diesel. Hopefully this will improve a little as the engine beds in (and I suppose the same could be said for the petrol) but I would guess you would more likely see 29-30mpg from that. It's all down to circumstances and personal choice in the end. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi All

They offered my the petrol FE in orange last week at my dealership but I want the diesel so for my sins have chosen to wait. Apparently the guy who had ordered the petrol was sick of waiting also! I dont know if they have sold it yet? Its Hidsons in Rainham, Kent if you want to check them out - 01634 235191, it may be gone now or the guy may have changed his mind but worth a look if you want to.

I am now counting the months as they tick by, 6th August I ordered and paid my deposit! So pushing the three month mark now! Nightmare!!

I hope we all gets ours soon, it will be horrible for whoever the poor sole is that is left waiting on here last! (my luck I will be eating those words as it will be me!!! lol)

I just cant understand why garages seem to be getting the odd one in that is available for sale but the ones who have paid and have been ordered ages seem to be at the back of the queue! It best be worth the wait! I want it before it snows as I dont think the little KIA Rio they have lent me will do much good in this area in the snow!

Cass

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can cross me off the list as I picked up my Petrol Techno Orange FE this afternoon. I'd been told it had arrived on Monday and sure enough it was in the dealership secure compoundat the rear with the mudflaps as requested. So this afternoon after being handed the keys and ready to go I was completely stumped as to why the car wouldn't start so we changed the keys over - no luck - so the manual came out had we missed something? No push button start either so I had to admit by now I was completely foxed. Then when I was just about to give upI just happened toput my foot down on the clutch bingo!even thoughI could hardly hear the engine.Of all the cars I've driven I 've never ever had one that required you to depress the clutch to startand I've never heard that was even part of the start up routine for cars and no-one on here or elsewhere had bothered to mention it either - thanks!. After I'd stopped laughing I took it out on the road the car is everything and more than I'd hoped. I'll pop back and give some comments whichI hope may help complete newbies like myself I'm just sorry some of you are still waiting but its worthit believe me.
Edited by: Seasider

·
Registered
29 Posts
Issy said:
Bang goes my theory that no petrol FEs have landed. Am v jealous! Do you mind me asking when you ordered it?

Is

I've been waiting since early August having told the dealer I was seriously interested and just wanted to try the demonstrator before ordering but because the dealer didn't contact me an actual order didn't materialise until 12th September. They had sold their allocation and failed to let me know a demonstrator was in for a couple of days the only reason I got the car was I went back to the dealer for a rant and they advised a few more cars were available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ordered my Techno Orange Petrol FE on 17th September. Was told 4 -6 weeks delivery,but despite checking almost every week, the dealer is in the dark as to when the car is actually going to arrive

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kia ora

Sounds like your in exactly the same boat as me. It sounds like the dealer will get all of abouts a week notice before it arrives so feel like I'm just waiting for that call :S.

Is

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went in my Kia dealers last week and they had 3 diesel FEs and 1 petrol in their compoud.I think they had all been sold but there certainlywas not any anxious new owners about eagerly waiting to collect their new cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can I ask where abouts in the country you are?

Honestly, One of the girls I work with has literally just received a call to say her new car (that she ordered less than 2 weeks ago) is ready for collection! Ok, its no FE but still! It makes me so sad! lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thought I'd give my first impressions of the petrol manual FE as being strictly a car owner previously there are notable differences and this is the first time I've owned an SUV of this type. I was a previous Hyundai Coupe Mark 2 and 3 owner and both cars mechanically never let me down having only needed a change of tyres after 7 years (last winter finally took its toll) and a new battery.
I wanted something entirely different as the Coupe was becoming more and more impractical. I liked the look of the Tuscon/Sportage but they both looked like typically boxy off roaders and the new crop of SUV's looked more exciting Kuga, Qashqai etc but not quite what I was looking for. I even went on a Land Rover day out in Cheshire with a pal, great car and spec but way out of my price range and not something I consider but a top day out all the same. Then I caught a glimpse of the new Sportage in the car section of the local paper so then it was straight onto the web and by the end of the night I was hooked.

The car ticked all the right boxes in spec, style and was more than enough of a change from my Coupe to seriously consider a test drive. I quickly noted that the FE was a high spec limited model so I new from past experience there was not a lot of time to hang around the later similar models are inevitably, higher priced with options missing and it was a fairly tight budget and of course there is the possibility of a VAT rise on the horizon. I duly picked up the car on Wednesday it had arrived via Immingham Docks earlier in the month and transported across it had been left in the dealership compound since the weekend.

I noticed the car had the mud flaps already on but it had been unwrapped and presented on the forecourt rather hastily I reckon. I found areas of the car with bits of protective tape still attached including a large black strip covering the chrome underneath a passenger window - I wondered why the car looked odd on one side. The mats were in place but there was slivers of black plastic hanging our of the air vent the kind you get after cutting through plastic and the interior hadn't been properly valeted the black vinyl plastic looked a mess. I removed the dealership and warranty stickers off the back window - you can't see a great deal out the back to start with so freeing up more window space has helped.

I noted on an earlier post that the door doesn't shut properly and that's right the doors needs to be firmly shut the seals need time to bed in. I'm over six foot and its a large vehicle when I'm stood beside it and certainly has a road presence amongst all thehumdrum silver, black and white cars in the car park the Techno Orange definitely stands out almost refreshingly so without being too blingy. After adjusting the seat - usual stuff - pull up the bar beneath the seat to roll back and twist the wheel on the right to recline however the lumbar support lever doesn't really add much and surprisingly I found for my size I wasn't all the way back either which should give the passenger behind plenty of leg room.

I'm not sure about the leather and I'm wondering whether to buy some covers just for use when I'm out playingsport or there's a chance I'm going to get wet and muddy. I was surprised to find the hand brake a rather puny affair unlike the large handle on my coupe that gives every reassurance its parked this feels like a small unconvincing lever and if might say the position of it is a little awkward to be honest it's too close to the oversized storage box so its unnecessarily fiddly and I really don't see the point of the why there is protective a rail on the passenger side.

The steering column needed a little adjustment as did the wing mirrors the various controls on the door arm rest are many and a little confusing at first however the wing mirrors I might add are huge the biggest I've ever used and give you an excellent view behind the car which is great as there is not much to view out of the back window. After inserting and rotating the key I was surprised the car didn't turn over - the dashboard lit up like Blackpool illuminations together with the radio except the engine. I admit I was completely at a loss and I tried changing keys over and even looked through the manual. As I was about to give up I checked the handbrake was on and also pushed my foot down on the clutch the car shook a little but the engine noise was so quiet I wasn't sure it was ticking over at all. I turned off the stereo and sure enough it had started so my first lesson was that the car requires your foot on the clutch to start - how odd? Having spoken to the dealer he was surprised I didn't know and I thought it was me until I've asked just about everyone I know and they have never heard of a car starting on the clutch - to be honest it's not a problem but I have since turned it over and forgotten to depress the clutch so it takes a bit of getting used to after 30 years of perhaps at most pressing the accelerator just to help fire a car up in the cold.

I haven't quite worked out what the middle switch is for in the key fob yet its supposed to open the boot but I haven't quite figured it out yet. The accelerator pedal is different as well as it rises from the floor which unlike a car which hangs down with the brake and clutch. I used to rest my foot below the accelerator on cruise control but obviously you can't now and its very similar to an accelerator pedal in a van or mini-bus if you've ever driven one. There really is no engine noise at low speed at all and the ride is very smooth the lofty driving position is excellent but the front pillars are very obtrusive - you do slowly get used to it and the driving mirror especially at night dims car headlights behind you which I especially liked. Going through the gears was slightly clunky the clutch is very forgiving and I'm guilty of slightly over reving which are all bad habits from my Coupe which I need to get over.

For someone who has just come from a car seven years old the number of different functions on the driving wheel stalks are bewildering and the lights take some getting used to I wasn't sure what lights I had on at what stage and got out of the car just to confirm things. For the size of the car the full lock turning is good and the sensors on reverse parking at the kerbside alert you to the kerb which is useful and may save my alloys. Reversing in particular couldn't be easier and the gear lever slips into reverse very easily although on my dark driveway at night my reversing lights could be brighter when using the mirror camera. I reversed using the camera and although it's unusual it was perfect and I parked on the last rectangle in the mirror and this was right up against my garage door but with enough room to still be able to open the hatch which was useful. I'm not convinced the boot is the biggest I've seen there is a useful power socket in there and a curtain shelf to pull back.

There is a lot of wasted space around the spare wheel under the floor but there is another useful storage compartment with a lid on the left hand side but I'm not sure if I took four peopleout to a coursewe'd all get our clubs in the back with luggage. I easily managed to connect my iPod touch4 with the Kia attachment and my Bluetooth phone without problem. I just love the iPod's connectivity as I'm able to scroll through the albums and playlists with ease on the screen and I was also able to tune my favourite FM and AM radio stations with ease and the sound all round is excellent. I've my own Tom-tom satnav so I'm going to need a power splitter to keep both that and the phone plugged in pity that the space on the other side of the inputs is a switch rather than another power input.

My parents have both enjoyed a ride in the back it was different for them to step up into the car than dropping into my old coupe and after working out the confusing seat belts they love the amount of head and foot room available and despite the high waisted rear windows they had no problem with the outside view. They mentioned about the air-conditioning and I have to admit I had to study the manual later to get to grips with this but everything seems to be fine. In fact I've spent sometime in the evening when the car was parked outside on the drive going through some of the more involved functions with the manual so I was happy with just about everything.

I filled up last night and noticed there is some white plastic in the petrol filler tube that holds the nozzle it probably also prevents access by a diesel pump nozzle but more importantly it prevents petrol splashing back which was a symptom of my other cars . I haven't worked out the trip computer yet but noticed it shows the outside temperature and I had this on a Meganne but missed this on my old Coupe so I'm glad that this feature is included.

One thing I noticed is my general driving has changed as the Coupe hugged the road low down and it can sprint from standing and can move when I put the foot down but the FE isn't as quick but I don't feel the need to push it either so I give myself more time to manoeuvre and its more of a relaxed way of driving whichI like.

I'll post back when I've some miles under my belt but for now I'm really enjoying driving this car - it's different to anything I've had before but that's why I bought it.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Edited by: Seasider

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm very impressed by lengh of your review! Think it will be the end of the month befroe I get my orange FE.

Oh with the boot key button I bet it's the same as the Audi (press and hold it).

Hope you keep loving it.

61 - 80 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.