Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

I ordered a Techno Orange FE Auto 2 days after launch date. My dealer told me he had already sold his allocation (4 cars in total! - all colours) but he would try to source one for me and he was reasonably confident.

Bad news yesterday --NO CAR!!! - couldn't source one.

A similar spec is nearly £4k more expensive!!

I'm severely disappointed now. Hope things go better for the rest of you. I'll have to reconsider now.

Regards

Sparky2009

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Jules,

I ordered 16th August, had my Part Ex valued (but did tell dealer I had a very interested private buyer, who has since confirmed he wants the car ASAP).

The dealer was OK with the fact I may sell privately and I paid a deposit, which he has said I can have returned if I visit showroom to enable credit to debit card account.

He also said he is trying to find out 'how far he can go' to work out a compromise deal - I'm not holding my breath!

He said he had been told if I ordered now I could get a 2.0L diesel in December. I am very suspicious of this (even though I think he stated that in good faith). It's the same 2.0L engine as in the Hyundai ix35.

Reading the comments on ...honestjohn.co.uk in the 'Backroom', Motoring discussions; Hyundai ix35 customers have suffered long delays (6 months), which seem to be due to shortage of the 2L diesel engine. (I am happy to be corrected if this is not the case)

There is quite a backlog of orders for the ix35. In fact, there is a caveat on the Hyundai UK website to the effect that new orders, taken now, for the ix35 with a 2.0L diesel engine may not be delivered until 2011.When in 2011 it does not say.

I am pretty sure Kia will have secured the 800 or so engines needed for the First Edition, before launch,so no sweat for you lucky guys out there with 'one in the bag'.

However, for me the increase in price from a First Edition 4WD Auto to 2.0 CRDi KX3 Sat Nav 4WD Auto, to get a rear view camera, lifts the price to £26,170 (or more if it comes after the VAT increase
).

I will have to reconsider and think about retro-fit accessories. I think rear view camera kits, with in-mirror display run at about £300.

Well, time to hammer those buttons on the calculator and surf the net for possible options.

Enjoy your rides guys, and if you see someone turning green at the side of the road, as you drive along, don't laugh - it might be me.

Cheers Sparky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Cm,

Thanks for the 'heads up', I will follow up. With Hyundai quoting 2011 for delivery of 2.0L diesel engined vehicles I think this problem will rumble on until the new engine production facility adjacent to the Kia plant in Slovakia opens up end of 2011.

Many thanks
Sparky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sparky here again,

I was chasing the auto sportage at Bicester, when I had some bad news about my private sale - everything went on the back burner.

However, within hours I have another buyer and my name is now on the Techno Orange Auto in Chester.

Hoping to pick it up midweek sometime - can't wait

Sparky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sparky here again,

Picked up my Techno Orange Auto Wednesday pm and drove it gently across Cheshire to the A49, then north to the M56 and then home to Bolton.

Well impressed with the 'stately' feel of the driving position, light steering and the very smooth auto box. I can feel the change from 1st to 2nd, but all others are imperceptible. I suppose that's because I was driving gently to try to get the max feedback from the car.
(I've found if you press on in a car you are concentrating more on making progress and keeping it pointed in the right direction and spotting hazards than 'experiencing the feel of the car'.)

One aspect of the autobox that I discovered is it will often cope quite well in"Sport Mode" in a higher gear than it selects in Drive. I had expected this because when I test drove the manual;I found it would make progress on the flat, without labouring, at 30MPH in 5th gear. This must be the result of the very good torque/rpm curve of the engine/gearbox combination. Using the higher gear certainly moves the instantaneous MPG figure much nearer to the 60 end of the display!

The car suffers from what I call VW syndrome (because that's where I first experienced it) - you can't shut the driver's door easily. This is not a design fault, but caused by the high quality of the door seals. If you lower the window first, no problem, a sure indicator of the pressure in the car inhibiting the door closing, and of good build quality!

The instrument lighting is very bright, even in daylight, and I'm pretty sure it's not adjustable on the FE. (If it is please advise - I can't find anything in the manual.)

The audio worked great with my MP3, and the radio reception, Traffic Announcements etc were good.

I managed to sync my iphone via the Bluetooth but I've not yet mastered the voice dialling.
E.g. Me - "Call Home"
Bluetooth - "Call Whom" or was it Hume or Hulme?
and then I got the options "Confirm/Cancel...etc"
I don't have a Hume,Hulme, Holme or anything like that in my Contact list?????
I have managed to voice dial a couple of contacts so it's either my accent or I need to check/simplify/clarify the tags or whatever the car end of the Bluetooth is looking for. I received incoming calls perfectly.

The car will proceed well without a heavy right foot, but it's there when needed, as I found when I had to accelerate to leave a slip road for the motorway. The brakes also need a light touch, unless you want to feel the seatbelt restraining you at every application!

As far as roadholding, handling etc I think it might be skittish over rougher surfaces at speed, but there again, if I had wanted Sportscar performance I would have bought a sportscar!

Two things I am already missing compared with my previous ride (Octavia Estate Elegance 140 BHP) An ashtray/rubbish area for sweet wrappers/used parking tickets etc and a sunglasses holder in the roof.

Well that's enough for now. I'll write more after a month or two.

If you're about to get yours enjoy and be prepared for lots of attention! Its good looks certainly attract peoples eye, and in two days I've been stopped, when leaving the car, and asked about it, what it cost etc five times!
Regards

Sparky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there Seasider,

Instead of the panel light adjuster (+/-) I have an economy button, labelled ECO with an indicator icon in the instrument display, plus the button itself also has an indicator light built in. The other 4 are as yours : headlight leveller, downhill brake control, antiskid off and internal movement alarm sensor disable.

The economy mode is always on, unless you press the ECO button to disable it. The manual says it restricts power to the aircon and limits power output when climbing hills i.e. it will climb hills OK but you can't mash the pedal to the metal on a steep hill ( a somewhat pointless waste of fuel anyway!) and expect flat out acceleration. Uphill acceleration is fine, you just can't max it with ECO mode on.

The instrument display is bright in daylight but I noticed, driving in the dark last night, that switching on the headlights auto dims the instrument display. I suspect it's controlled by the car computer and the sensor on the windscreen that works the auto headlight function.

Regards

Sparky

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Audioslim,

No ECO switch; then your FE mustn't be Autotransmission, which mine is.

I'm pretty sure it's only a feature on Auto versions. I think it's on the Auto because without it the MPG figures would be truly appalling. They're not brilliant as it is, but I expected that.

I know with AWD and Auto I won't get anywhere the 50+MPG I got on My 2.0l TDI Skoda Estate.

Sparky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.