Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just wondering if anybody around herehas ordered/iswaiting for a UK First Edition to come in.

Just wondering if you have any confirmed dates yet.

All I've been told is the dealers will have their orders complete by the end of the month (September). Just wondering if that's the same story anybody else has been given.

Cant wait!

Ta

Slim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Me (see my other thread) ;-)

I hadn't heard that *all* dealers are expecting to have delivered all orders by the end of sept, although my dealer did tell me that they are still expecting mine to be here this month. Although - still no firm delivery date (which I was sort of expecting by now...)

Still - I know some have been delivered but I've yet to see a single one on the roads (that's not got "TEST DRIVE" in huge writing on the side :)

Jules

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, typo I meant dealer (as in mine) not dealers!.

Although I did tend to pickup the same sort of story from a couple of other dealers though.

Cant wait!, highly excited abou this car. Wouldnt have touched a kia with a bargepole last year (even test drove a Sorento a few years back, though it was awful!) but this car is really in a different class.

Has anybody got info on these cars coming into the UK though? No doubt somebody knows of the progress of these 800 first editions coming into the UK from whereever?

Slim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confusing I know, but no the First Edition is the limited 800 or so Sportage 3rd gen's that have just arrived/about to arrive, before the full range starts being delivered in November ish (so I'm told).

I'm waiting on my first edition arriving at the dealers, somtime end of this month I've been told.

Slim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

I ordered a Techno Orange FE Auto 2 days after launch date. My dealer told me he had already sold his allocation (4 cars in total! - all colours) but he would try to source one for me and he was reasonably confident.

Bad news yesterday --NO CAR!!! - couldn't source one.

A similar spec is nearly £4k more expensive!!

I'm severely disappointed now. Hope things go better for the rest of you. I'll have to reconsider now.

Regards

Sparky2009

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure somebody on one of the forums has very recently secured a FE from somewhere. Dont know where though (North West I think perhaps though).
They were selling fast when I put my deposit down for one of the 5 the dealers was getting (think 2 had already been sold). Same story at a few other dealers as well.

Slim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sparky, that is bad luck indeed...

It also made me panic a bit, so I called my dealer earlier. He assured me that they'd been allocated 8, and I was one of the 8 they had been allocated. He also said that as far as he knew, every dealer had now sold its allocation (which is either :-( or :) depending on your point of view I guess)... He also told me (if it's of any interest) that of the 8, 4 were orange, 3 silver, 1 black. If I heard him correctly he said that the silver and black ones were supposed to be arriving this week, with the orange one (mine included) arriving first or 2nd week in October. Still no fixed date though...

Sorry to hear of your woes. Had you paid a deposit? I would ask the dealer to at least try and come to some kind of compromise with you regarding price of a top spec model...

Jules

ps when did you actually order yours (Slim - same question?)? I placed mine on Friday 20th August - some time after launch date... given how many people I saw going through the showroom on that day, I thought they'd sold at least 3 on that morning! But I guess they must have all reconsidered...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Jules,

I ordered 16th August, had my Part Ex valued (but did tell dealer I had a very interested private buyer, who has since confirmed he wants the car ASAP).

The dealer was OK with the fact I may sell privately and I paid a deposit, which he has said I can have returned if I visit showroom to enable credit to debit card account.

He also said he is trying to find out 'how far he can go' to work out a compromise deal - I'm not holding my breath!

He said he had been told if I ordered now I could get a 2.0L diesel in December. I am very suspicious of this (even though I think he stated that in good faith). It's the same 2.0L engine as in the Hyundai ix35.

Reading the comments on ...honestjohn.co.uk in the 'Backroom', Motoring discussions; Hyundai ix35 customers have suffered long delays (6 months), which seem to be due to shortage of the 2L diesel engine. (I am happy to be corrected if this is not the case)

There is quite a backlog of orders for the ix35. In fact, there is a caveat on the Hyundai UK website to the effect that new orders, taken now, for the ix35 with a 2.0L diesel engine may not be delivered until 2011.When in 2011 it does not say.

I am pretty sure Kia will have secured the 800 or so engines needed for the First Edition, before launch,so no sweat for you lucky guys out there with 'one in the bag'.

However, for me the increase in price from a First Edition 4WD Auto to 2.0 CRDi KX3 Sat Nav 4WD Auto, to get a rear view camera, lifts the price to £26,170 (or more if it comes after the VAT increase
).

I will have to reconsider and think about retro-fit accessories. I think rear view camera kits, with in-mirror display run at about £300.

Well, time to hammer those buttons on the calculator and surf the net for possible options.

Enjoy your rides guys, and if you see someone turning green at the side of the road, as you drive along, don't laugh - it might be me.

Cheers Sparky

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey sparky, that does suck... I've been following the hj thread as well although two things give me hope... 1st the quantities involved seem much higher (only 800 sportages against many thousand ix35s...) and 2nd is that given it seems they were starting to experience difficulties way back in april, all of a sudden the fact kia only committed themselves to 800 sportages seems sort of shrewd. Maybe it was out of necessity rather than being any kind of marketing ploy like we thought...

You never know, you may find an ex demo 1st edition going cheap once the rest of the range starts coming through...

best of luck, Jules

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jules.

I test drove one on the sunday of the weekend they arrived at the dealers as far as I know (a few dealers phoned me on that weekend to say they had one in). It was a bank holiday weekend, cant remeber the date though.

Test drove one in OMC KIA in Oldham, but by the time I spoke to them on the Monday they'ld sold the silver manual. Went to Kia in Stockport on the tuesday morning and paid them the deposit on it.

I'm going to ring them tommorow see where its up to , I have phoned since it was ordered and they did say all their order should be complete by end of month.

Slim

·
Registered
662 Posts
FROM THE HORSES MOUTH AS THEY SAY

"
New Sportage Supply <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Sportage 2.0 Petrol ""First Edition""�
Having managed to secure a one off production volume for 300 units for the 2.0 petrol ""First Edition""�,
we can now confirm that production of the first 180 units will commence on the 20th of September
arriving in the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> early October and at Dealers during the second week of October. Further production
is scheduled for late October and the balance for late November with delivery to the Network during
November and December respectively.
The full 300 units will be auto allocated with each dealer gaining at least one unit from this initial
production run.
Sportage 1.6 GDI (all variants)
Production of Sportage 1.6 GDI is expected to commence very late in September with 200 units with
further production of 284 scheduled for mid to late November. The late September production is
scheduled for delivery to the network in late October. The November production is scheduled for
delivery to the Network early in December.
Each Dealer will be auto allocated one Sportage 1.6 GDI from the September initial production
Sportage 1.7 CRDI (all variants)
Production of the Sportage 1.7 CRDI is expected to commence during the third and fourth weeks of
October when we expect over 1020 units to be produced. These units will commence delivery to the
network during the second week of November. Further production of 900 units is then expected to be
produced during November making a total stock holding of in excess of 1900 units. November
production will commence delivery to the Network during the last week of November.
Each Dealer will be auto allocated one Sportage 1.7 CRDI from the October initial production
Other Sportage Derivatives
Production of the full line up of the Sportage 2.0 CRDI KX 2 and KX 3 is delayed at present and we
have no view of production at this time.
The Sportage 2.0 petrol KX 2, KX 2 Auto and KX 3 line up will have a limited volume available in KMUK
by early October."

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice info.

Hopefully that means my diesel first edition is going to be in end of thigs month as informed.

Slim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had it confirmed from dealer it'll be with them 28/29th and ready for me a day or two later.

Happy days

Slim

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'Production of the full line up of the Sportage 2.0 CRDI KX 2 and KX 3 is delayed at present and we have no view of production at this time. '

Interesting, wonder why?. Is it new engine tech in the 1.7 meaning same power/consumption as the 2.0 anyway so their not bothering at present.

That means the first editions are the only ones with 2.0 diesel engines in the UK, good/bad/otherwise as that may be.

Slim
Edited by: audioslim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sparky

There is a Techno Orange Auto hidden away in the back of the Joblings Kia showroom in Bicester. 01869 252255

I didnt ask if it was sold or not. I sat in it today. (Orange a bit bling for me)

I believe KIA are bringing in 300 Petrol 1st Editions. Can the 35.8mpg combined figure quoted be believed?

If you consider the 2.0L CRDi KX-2 AWD will be £22,320 then a petrol 1st Edition might be an alternative at just under 20k. It would take 4 years approx (average yearly miles) before the overall cost of ownership equalised, petrol vs diesel. Plus the 1st Edition has more kit than the KX-2 will have.

Will the Diesel engine variant be available as promised in November? Look and Hyundai iX35's

And then if you do wait patiently into 2011 will the VAT increase bite?

Just a thought.

I want one too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Cm,

Thanks for the 'heads up', I will follow up. With Hyundai quoting 2011 for delivery of 2.0L diesel engined vehicles I think this problem will rumble on until the new engine production facility adjacent to the Kia plant in Slovakia opens up end of 2011.

Many thanks
Sparky

·
Registered
197 Posts
audioslim said:
'Production of the full line up of the Sportage 2.0 CRDI KX 2 and KX 3 is delayed at present and we have no view of production at this time. '

Interesting, wonder why?. Is it new engine tech in the 1.7 meaning same power/consumption as the 2.0 anyway so their not bothering at present.

That means the first editions are the only ones with 2.0 diesel engines in the UK, good/bad/otherwise as that may be.

Slim

Important to remember that only the 2.0 litre models are available in 4WD. I expect the production line and engine plant are stretched with the early demand. I had a drive in a manual FE and was very impressed with the dynamics and the engine felt very punchy compared with my 2G. However, I do have some issues with the new model - it's not as practical as the 2G - eg the rear seats do not fold flat, the opening rear hatch window has gone and the external mirrors will make the fitting of towing mirrors difficult because of their shape (curved). What really annoys me though is that all the 4WD models come with privacy glass - I can't stand the stuff and the back of the car is dark enough without it with the high belt line. The reversing camera is great though (and essential!).

1 - 20 of 233 Posts