Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I started the Car and switched on the Fans (Not the A/C). I set the Fans to the coldest temperature, as it was extremely hot. Within about 5-10 minutes, white smoke started coming through the Air Vents in the Dashboard and down in the Foot-well. The smoke only stopped when I switched off the Fans. There was a burning smell to this smoke as well.

I have also checked the Coolant and it is well above the Minimum mark. I then turned both Fans and Air Conditioning on, approximately 24 hours later, to see if the problem was still occurring. This time, they were not coming on at all.

Some online articles state that this could be steam from the A/C but the A/C was not switched nor would I expect steam to smell ... Unless the moisture is causing some other fault, as it passes through the vents etc.

What could be causing this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Sounds like a possible coolant leak near the heater radiator, just enough to cause steam. Monitor the coolant level closely to see if it drops. Does it smell like warm rubber hose? Check your carpets and mats around the heater area too. I'm not familiar with your car at all, by the way. Does it have an electric heater?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,840 Posts
Quite likely the fan speed controller burnt out thus the electrical burning smell. Also have fuses blown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a possible coolant leak near the heater radiator, just enough to cause steam. Monitor the coolant level closely to see if it drops. Does it smell like warm rubber hose? Check your carpets and mats around the heater area too. I'm not familiar with your car at all, by the way. Does it have an electric heater?
The Coolant has remained within the Min/Max and has not noticeably moved in over 12 months. The carpets and mats are all dry, so I do not believe there is any leaks. Yes, the heaters are Electric.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite likely the fan speed controller burnt out thus the electrical burning smell. Also have fuses blown.
The Smoke did smell quite 'electrical'. The Fuses all seem in tact, though. Is there a way to check and see if the Fan Speed Controller has burnt out ... DIY style or would this be a Garage Job?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,840 Posts
Remove the glove box and heater box is behind it. You will see 2 screws holding the speed controller in the casing with a wiring connector on it. When out if it does not smell or shown burnt you can test it with a meter. If replacing it there are two types, ensure you change for type with the same number of connector pins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove the glove box and heater box is behind it. You will see 2 screws holding the speed controller in the casing with a wiring connector on it. When out if it does not smell or shown burnt you can test it with a meter. If replacing it there are two types, ensure you change for type with the same number of connector pins.
Thanks for the guidance. Is there a universal name for this item? I have had a look online and can see a few similar names. For example 'Heater Blower Fan Resistor', 'Cooling Fan Resistor Control' and 'Blower Motor' etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,840 Posts
Blower resistor
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
Any further answers please post here.

 
  • Like
Reactions: CPos
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top