Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all .....

I just wanted to ask the experienced Kia owners ..... just purchased a 2016 Kia Sportage 1 QL 1.6GDI

Currently they have 16" alloys on the vehicle, not something i really wanted but i am hoping there are choices of change.

What size would fit comfortably without causing any camber or tyre wear etc.

Pic 1 17" x 6.5j

Pic 2 18" x 7j

·
Registered
93 Posts
Think those alloys are from the previous Sportage ie up tp 2016, not 2016 onwards. I'm sure a member will tell you if they will fit or not but wouldn't you want to fit alloys applicable to the 'proper' model. That's assuming your sportage is the current version

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Currently they have 16" alloys on the vehicle, not something i really wanted but i am hoping there are choices of change.
Welcome to the forum, 'Wayne Potter'.

For what purpose do you want to fit bigger wheels? I really can't think of any good reason but you are free to do whatever you want with your car so long as the vehicle remains legal.

If you do fit non-standard wheels to your particular model, be sure to notify your insurer as it is a modification for which they may or may not demand an extra premium but so long as they know you have varied from the standard specification, you should be okay for cover in the event of a collision. If you choose not to declare a modification, the insurer is legally entitled to deny any claim made.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You can use either of those, don’t forget to get the correct profile tyre to match wheel diameter.
I have my old 18” 2010 (your pic2) sportage wheels on at the moment with winter tyres in place of the 19”

·
Registered
244 Posts
The larger the rim, the lower the profile of the tyre making the risk of tyre/wheel damage from kerbs and potholes more likely. you may also find the tyres more expensive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Some further info here:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'Wayne Potter'.

For what purpose do you want to fit bigger wheels? I really can't think of any good reason but you are free to do whatever you want with your car so long as the vehicle remains legal.

If you do fit non-standard wheels to your particular model, be sure to notify your insurer as it is a modification for which they may or may not demand an extra premium but so long as they know you have varied from the standard specification, you should be okay for cover in the event of a collision. If you choose not to declare a modification, the insurer is legally entitled to deny any claim made.
I don't have the handbook to hand, but an Alfa 159 I had about 3 years ago there was a section on wheels. It explicitly advised the appropriate combinations of wheel diameters and tyre sizes that would be suitable when fitting winter tyres, generally moving down at least a couple of inches in diameter and getting tyres with a taller sidewall.

Most insurance companies would have a very hard time refusing a payout after a collision when you have followed the manufacturers advice on sizings, and also made your car significantly safer for winter driving. The Association of British Insurers has produced a document on this, available here:

which includes the following statement:
The insurers named below do not require the payment of any additional premium if customers decide to fit winter tyres to their cars, provided that the tyres meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the relevant vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition whilst in use.

Key words being, of course, 'in accordance with the relevant vehicle manufacturers specifications'. If there is a section in the handbook (and as mentioned above I have not checked my new-to-me Kia book) on suitable rim and tyre sizes, then you are indeed in accordance with specifications. As long as the size, load rating, and any directional or 'outside' type markings are followed, and of course aren't something illegal in itself like studded tyres, you are fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts