Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks new user looking to buy the outgoing sportage end of next month possibly.

I took 4 cars for a test drive on Monday, the Karoq,XC60 (old shape) Peugeot 3008 and the Sportage 1.6 diesel and the sportage was the pick for me and the wife. Recently had a baby so looking for a bigger car for pram and dog duties, originally planned on getting a 5 tourer but seriously impressed with the Kia to my surprise.

Few questions if i may;

Not totally top priority but would like a decent return on mpg, is the 1.6 diesel the pick here? Not seen many 2l knocking about on the usual sites. Anyone got any real world mpg figures for the petrol and diesels?

Wife thought the interior in places was abit plasticky, could see her point i think we took out a 66 reg but noticed a slight change in the centre console from a 68plate> Not sat in one to see but anything noticeably different there?

I always like afew toys on the car so would be looking for a GT line at least if not the S. Amazed to see can actually get adaptive cruise on these which i used to love on my golf GTI - Is this only an option on the GT line S or are there some lower models with this feature?

I'm sure i can find couple more questions but hopefully some feedback be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello folks new user looking to buy the outgoing sportage end of next month possibly.

I took 4 cars for a test drive on Monday, the Karoq,XC60 (old shape) Peugeot 3008 and the Sportage 1.6 diesel and the sportage was the pick for me and the wife. Recently had a baby so looking for a bigger car for pram and dog duties, originally planned on getting a 5 tourer but seriously impressed with the Kia to my surprise.

Few questions if i may;

Not totally top priority but would like a decent return on mpg, is the 1.6 diesel the pick here? Not seen many 2l knocking about on the usual sites. Anyone got any real world mpg figures for the petrol and diesels?

Wife thought the interior in places was abit plasticky, could see her point i think we took out a 66 reg but noticed a slight change in the centre console from a 68plate> Not sat in one to see but anything noticeably different there?

I always like afew toys on the car so would be looking for a GT line at least if not the S. Amazed to see can actually get adaptive cruise on these which i used to love on my golf GTI - Is this only an option on the GT line S or are there some lower models with this feature?

I'm sure i can find couple more questions but hopefully some feedback be great.

Cheers
As far as fuel consumption goes for the diesel, 45 mpg average over the last 4k miles, mostly longish journeys.

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
511 Posts
If economy is what your after then the diesel would the one to go for. My 1.6 petrol averages about 28mpg, probably about 37mpg on a longer run.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both just reading afew problem stories about the 1.6 hybrid, anyone had similar issues with the regular 1.6 diesel?

Does the 2l version come in 2wd aswell?

Have i missed the boat on discounts on this outgoing model? Covid permitting.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
842 Posts
If economy is what your after then the diesel would the one to go for. My 1.6 petrol averages about 28mpg, probably about 37mpg on a longer run.
Yes agree, if economy is what you are looking for then don’t get the petrol. I have the 1.6t and average around 27-28 mpg (combination of motorway and town). In the colder weather it’s averaging closer to 24-25mpg.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Haven't noticed any drop in mpg in the winter, and that's been with mostly short 5 mile trips. If I was doing a high mileage the petrol Sportage wouldn't be my choice.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Haven't noticed any drop in mpg in the winter, and that's been with mostly short 5 mile trips. If I was doing a high mileage the petrol Sportage wouldn't be my choice.
Oh really, no idea then. My trips are usually about 10 miles each way but guess having the heated seats and steering wheel on could cause mpg drop?

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
Don't bother with a diseasel, go for a petrol 1.6 turbo and put lpg on it. I fill up at 72.7p/litre at my local Morrison's so it's cheaper to run than any other fuel. Yes, there's to cost of the conversion, but it's the cost per mile that counts, NOT miles per gallon. I usually keep my cars at least 5 years, so conversion costs are absorbed. Details here.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
We are on our second 2.0 diesel. The first was a 2017 KX-2 and the current is a GT-Line. Overall MPG (fill to fill) on both cars was the same, around 35 mpg. However we do tow a caravan which effects out MPG. As to spec, in my opinion the KX-2 had enough toys to keep me happy and the only extra's I like on the GT-Line are the heated seats.

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Oh really, no idea then. My trips are usually about 10 miles each way but guess having the heated seats and steering wheel on could cause mpg drop?
No.
MPG drop is caused by more fuel being used. As a cold engine needs more fuel to stop it from stalling. (note higher revs)

It would be interesting to see a pic of a @kenp1 5 mile trip mpg. As I know that even in my Hybrid its well down at that distance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I never take much notice of the trip MPG figures as I have no way of getting accurate data, i just use a spreadsheet with full tank fill up data.

My worst MPG was 26.1 (August) and my best 29.7 (November).

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
My 1.6 petrol returns 39.5 MPG on motorway runs according to the on board computer.
I think the single trip MPG is misleading. I can quote the 50 mpg on a motorway trip we did last year, but it doesn't mean a lot. Average mpg is a better guide, but even that is subject to so many variables it should be taken as a guide.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the single trip MPG is misleading. I can quote the 50 mpg on a motorway trip we did last year, but it doesn't mean a lot. Over mpg is a better guide, but even that is subject to so many variables it should be taken as a guide.
What is Over MPG?

Sadly I've monitored our 1.6T GDI GT Line Auto using the brim to brim method for the last 3 years. :( MPG average is 35 :cool:
35 is really good. You don't want to know how long my spreadsheet goes back. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
No.
MPG drop is caused by more fuel being used. As a cold engine needs more fuel to stop it from stalling. (note higher revs)

It would be interesting to see a pic of a @kenp1 5 mile trip mpg. As I know that even in my Hybrid its well down at that distance.
Yeah that’s what I thought as in winter i always notice a drop in mpg as like you say the engine revs higher and takes longer to get to optimal temperature. I know ac can have a small impact on mpg as well but wasn’t sure if heated devices could cause a further drop by putting more load on.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Firstly MPG isn't always the be-all & end-all. Diesels are more expensive to service and are heavier so wear things like tyres & clutches quicker. Also consider that unless you regularly do trips of some distance, you're likely to run into DPF issues. The 1.6 MHEV has major issues with engine failure also - recent fixes applied by Kia don't seem to have solved the issue - so best avoided.

The facelift between the 66 plate and the later ones doesn't really affect the interior - the centre console may be a slightly different shape depending on gearbox and the radio fascia might be different but that's it - the materials are the same. Yes a bit plasticky but the build quality is 2nd to none - the materials used in my RR Vougue that has replaced the Sportage are certainly more upmarket but the build quality isn't a patch & everything is a bit more flimsy and wobbly than the rock-solid Sportage.

Adaptive cruise is an abhorrent feature which IMHO should be banned. This feature causes the rippling effect of cars on motorways because the system can never predict what's about to happen ahead like the human eye and the flashing of brake lights that results when it suddenly reduces speed is what causes cars behind to overbrake and results in stationary traffic and queues. This feature I firmly believe should be banned and is one of the reasons I sought a 2017 model which had non-adaptive cruise function.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No.

I only do 8 miles per day, and am getting about 32-34mpg in my 1.7 Diesel. 2016 (66)

As the OP states they were looking at a 66 plate, it's worth saying that the media units were updated in that year to included ApplePlay/AutoAndroid, so worth checking if the car you are looking at has this feature as it's a super useful addition and can't be retro-fitted.
I've never been one for bells and whistles, but i'm glad i went with the "2" spec, as it had all the features i was looking for. (i've not got heated steering wheel, and even in this cold weather, i've found the steering wheel hasn't got that noticably cold, certainly in comparison to other cars i've owned)

Also worth looking for FSH as this will be required for Kia to honour their warranty.
Despite the new model these older ones are still commanding a premium, - with many increasing in value!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts