Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have searched but can't find a thread on Kia main dealer recommended engine oil for the 1.6 Niro engine. No reports of excessive oil use that I can find either (which is good!). Wanted to get a litre in the garage here just in case.

The manual I have says 'Total Quartz 5W-30', is this what everyone tops-up with or do you find you don't need to between service intervals? My next service is due in November, just gone past 20,500 miles on the car and she was last serviced at 18,000 before I acquired her so I've no idea what they used.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
TBH. The only oil I have in the garage is Fuchs 5 -30. Which will have been in there for several years.
Not had to top mine up, but if I need to between services, that is what will be used.

TBH. Servicing needs to be annual from date of registration, unless you do more than 10K a year.

Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TBH. The only oil I have in the garage is Fuchs 5 -30. Which will have been in there for several years.
Not had to top mine up, but if I need to between services, that is what will be used.

TBH. Servicing needs to be annual from date of registration, unless you do more than 10K a year.
Thanks! I'll get a good 5W30 just in case.

Paranoid about the service date anniversary so I keep the warranty valid! I'll only ever do 5k or so in a year so I have reminders plastered on every calendar :D

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
Have searched but can't find a thread on Kia main dealer recommended engine oil for the 1.6 Niro engine. No reports of excessive oil use that I can find either (which is good!). Wanted to get a litre in the garage here just in case.

The manual I have says 'Total Quartz 5W-30', is this what everyone tops-up with or do you find you don't need to between service intervals? My next service is due in November, just gone past 20,500 miles on the car and she was last serviced at 18,000 before I acquired her so I've no idea what they used.

Thanks.
Never had to top up any Kia/Hyundai in the household over the past 9 years, when we bought the boss' Picanto and my Ceed Sportwagen. We are now on the original Picanto and I've been through Hyundai 3-pot, and am now on my second Niro. The only oil I have is an old can of Castrol something-or-other for the mower, and even that old clunk (also a Hyundai) barely uses any!

Reactions: Jaybee101

Registered
Niro 3 HEV 2017
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha! Yes, I have to admit all I could find in the shed was a rusty can of 3-in-1... I never had to top up my old diesel Corolla between services either. My first car as a 17yo was a knackered VW Polo and it drank litres of oil for fun. I think those of us of a certain age have oil burning paranoia until we get to know an engine is OK.... :D

Registered
The manual I have says 'Total Quartz 5W-30'
It is unlikely that you will need to top-up your engine oil between services but if you feel that it might be useful to have a little in case it should become necessary, then why not just buy a litre of the manufacturer's recommended lubricant?

Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
I currently have a 2020 Niro HEV, and previously had a 2015 Cee'd. Neither vehicle has ever required an oil top-up between services. From the manual, in our climate, a 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil is recommended, and, as I understand it, that oil must be fully synthetic. Thus, for top-up purposes, any 5-30 fully synthetic oil (even if it says Asda, Tesco, Morrisons or Wilko on it) will be perfectly adequate. Asda branded oils I believe are made by Comma, who also supply any number of "own-brand" oils.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts