Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone. Only my 2nd posting on here so hope I'm doin ok. I am shortly going to have to buy my winter tyres for my Cee'd Ls CRDi 1.6 . I have spent countless hours on the net looking for wheels at a descent price but have had some laughable prices for both alloys and steel. Ideally what I am aiming to do is to have a pair of winter tyres on wheels so I can fit and remove wheels as required. The tyre size is 205x55 r16.....Does anyone have such a beast? or know a man who does....any help would be appreciated...The Gaffer

·
Registered
226 Posts
What tyres do you currently have (brand) and why are they not suitable for winter?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Goodyear Ultragrip 8 are getting good reviews, so are the Continental TS830. Have a look here:
http://camskill.co.uk/m96b0s629p0/Winter_-_Snow_-_Cold_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_205_55_16_205_55_R_16

Check with www.mytyres.co.uk too, they are usually a bit more expensive, but they do a wheel and tyre option. Plus they list tyre reviews from the German ADAC winter tyre tests.

There's also www.lovetyres.com

For wheels, you could go to http://www.alloywheels.com/

Should be able to pick up a decent set quite cheaply.

Hope that helps...

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tyres I had on were just original Continental .....no use whatsoever where I live when you consider We had 4' of snow at the beginning of the year. My car is on the road 7 days a week and I live in the country so .."It has to go". The main reason I want extra wheels is so I can remove the normal wheels and tyres and fit on the spare ones with winter tyres at will and then when the winter is over refit my normal wheels/tyres...saves having to get the tyres taken off the rims and then swapped over again next winter....Geoff

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you thought about aset of steel wheels? Theywould do the job at a much better price. It's probably only for 4 months or so isn't it? You might be able to pick up some cheaply from someone who is upgrading to alloys too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Steels are better. They are heavier, so a bit less likely to spin when you put the power on. Plus, if you slide into a kerb, you can always hammer them out. You could ask a main dealer if they've got some old steels knocking about. They often have them left over when people upgrade to alloys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The originl equipment still fitted.....I would be as well with a pair of slicks....In the Scottish Borders where I live we had 2 winters back to back last year. The car I had then (Suzuki SX4 ) had a pair od 4x4 tyres on the front and would go anywhere However I now have a pair of mud/snow tyres fitted....Geoff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes ....steels are what I'm looking for but my local dealer ain't got any....the could sell them by the lorry load if the had them ....lots of new ones but no used ones....however something might pop up when I'm least expecting it....Geoff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts