Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We are picking up a new Soul 1 on 1st Sept to which we are changing from a Sportage. Because of where we live, and the fact that we will no longer have 4 wheel drive, I would like to have a set of winter tyres on spare rims which I can swap spring and autumn. Please can anybody suggest where I can get hold of a spare set of 15" rims?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
662 Posts
wheels are 5 stud and are same pattern as ceed or late carens so if your looking for winter rims may be worth looking for a set of steels where the customer has changed to alloys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having done a bit of investigation, it appears that I may as well swap the tyres on the standard 15" Soul steel rims for winter rubber, and buy a set of aftermarket alloys for summer use. So, the question now is what to go for in the not-too-expensive range.
Car is a Soul 1 in Black, so I was thinking along the lines of a multi-spoke wheel in white or gold, possibly the Team Dynamics Monza. Any opinions welcome.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If i were in your position. I would go for a nice set of lightweight 17inch alloys, the 17s allow for a higher profile tyre so the ride stays acceptable and a nice simple design to help make cleaning them easy. Dont overdo the tyre width either, light wheels and light tyres will help the ride too. In my opinion the KIA 18s and tyres are too heavy and too wide for the car (thats what i have). Do some research and weight comparisons for both wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there are a couple of companies that will supply steel wheels with snow tyres on.
You just put in to their website your current wheel and tyre size and they auto calculate which steel wheel and tyre you need to replace with.
If the weather is bad enough to need winter tyres you are better off getting steel wheels with snow tyres as ice and frozen snow will easily scratch alloy wheels.
You should be able to get a set for only a couple of hundred squid.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry didn't quite read your 3rd post correctly. Already have steel wheels you cant still use the sites to work out which winter/snow tyres will fit them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Womble, yes I have had a look at which tyres will fit the existing rims. I wasn't intending going for full snows, but a decent set of M&S such as Avon Ice Touring which will also give good grip in muddy conditions.
I live in a small farming village in Devon which is situated at the highest point between Dartmoor and Exmoor, so we get quite a bit of weather. There has only been one year in the last ten when we have not had snow, and we always have mud on the roads.

Tempest, I hadn't really considered going up a size or two due to the cost but I do agree they would look better and would probably be a good compromise for the summer. I'll have a look around at prices.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Your probably best looking at the tyre size/cost first. Choose a common easy to get size and then choose a wheel to suit. Alloys take a lot of upkeep (silver or black)....so just to repeat my earlier comment (as you live in a similar type of location to me)....they will need lots of cleaning - so get a simple design with rounded joints and minimal spokes etc etc.......unless you enjoy spending hours on your knees with a toothbrush. My other car has dead fussy wheels and they are a pain, my soul has simpler wheels and they are much easier to clean. Funnily enough the black wheels show the dirt sooner than the silver finish ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply again Tempest. I take your point about cleaning the multi-spoke wheels so I'll look again at the options. I think I have decided to stick with 15" rims so that I can re-use the original tyres and only have to buy 1 set of winters and a set of rims. That may leave enough in the pot for a set of those side tubes you have fitted - look nice in the pics.
Thanks also for the tip regarding the extra mudflaps
- we pick the Soul up next weds but the flaps are already in my garage waiting to be fitted.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good luck with it. The extra mud flaps really do keep the side of the car clean.....i lost one for a couple of days.......and the cow muck on the one side was amazing.

And to be totally honest about the wheels - if i saw a really sexy set of the plastic hubcaps on steel wheels - i would be happy not to have to do the constant wheel cleaning.....and have less of a worry with the parking scuffs and potholes damaging the alloys.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts