Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
842 Posts
Yes you can, there is no reason why you can't. My dealer does it for me at each service, at my request.
Yes agree, although my local dealership said a similar thing as they said there’s no need to swap the wheels around and I said I wanted to to ensure even tyre wear and they did it fine but they did charge quite a bit and said that the amount they charge for this is direct from Kia.

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
Thanks for the info but is this on 2wd or awd ?
In my case a GT-Line 2.0 CRDi 48V AWD with a manual box. The AWD doesn't matter to me, I've always had the wheels rotated to even out the wear. I am fortunate, the dealer I use is happy to do it as part of the service at no extra cost.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts

Type of tyre make a difference to just how it can be done.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
In my case a GT-Line 2.0 CRDi 48V AWD with a manual box. The AWD doesn't matter to me, I've always had the wheels rotated to even out the wear. I am fortunate, the dealer I use is happy to do it as part of the service at no extra cost.
Depending on the service the wheels all need to come off anyway!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes agree, although my local dealership said a similar thing as they said there’s no need to swap the wheels around and I said I wanted to to ensure even tyre wear and they did it fine but they did charge quite a bit and said that the amount they charge for this is direct from Kia.
Sounds like a crap dealer mine did for me for free, now do it myself as out of warranty

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds like a crap dealer mine did for me for free, now do it myself as out of warranty
I think all franchises are different. Last service mine did the sat nav update for £25 even though others were charging £40. However, they have now caught up and it’s same price.
I don’t think it’s that they are crap, I think it’s just others may sound better in that part by not charging a fee and I wish that was case but as I say, but you may find other costs are higher elsewhere. Not sure though. They told me the price they charge is set by Kia and they have to charge it. So no idea on that front but if you get it done for free then great but if what they said is true then could mean more dealerships will start charging if they don’t already.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
I think all franchises are different. Last service mine did the sat nav update for £25 even though others were charging £40. However, they have now caught up and it’s same price.
I don’t think it’s that they are crap, I think it’s just others may sound better in that part by not charging a fee and I wish that was case but as I say, but you may find other costs are higher elsewhere. Not sure though. They told me the price they charge is set by Kia and they have to charge it. So no idea on that front but if you get it done for free then great but if what they said is true then could mean more dealerships will start charging if they don’t already.
Depending on the service the car is having all the wheels have to come off anyway, so they are potentially charging you twice for the same work

·
Registered
842 Posts
Depending on the service the car is having all the wheels have to come off anyway, so they are potentially charging you twice for the same work
Yes I know, I don’t agree with it and as I say if you have a dealer that doesn’t charge then great but it’s obviously a way dealerships can make money really easily by charging.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
Yes I know, I don’t agree with it and as I say if you have a dealer that doesn’t charge then great but it’s obviously a way dealerships can make money really easily by charging.
I’d still be asking the question what they are actually charging you for?
The wheels are already off, they just put them back on a different corner. Takes no extra time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all have just spoken to kia dealership and yes you can rotate wheels on the sportage but you have to have the tyre sensing system reset which is probably why they are charging for it

·
Registered
842 Posts
I’d still be asking the question what they are actually charging you for?
The wheels are already off, they just put them back on a different corner. Takes no extra time.
No you are right there. Do they take all wheels off though when doing a service? I thought it was just visual checks etc and not wheels off job? Not having them rotated this year, all treads are basically the same all around currently and by time tread wears down more then it will be time to change the tyres I think.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Resetting the tyre sensors consists of getting in the car after the wheels have been swapped and driving the car a short distance. Job done.
Yes exactly this, that answer that was given I think is a bit of a fob off. These cars don’t have resets as such. Once wheels are rotated or even if new tyres are put on you just drive a few yards and the system updates itself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.