Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all

I have a 2016 Sportage First Edition and I believe my bearings are beginning to go and have emailed 4 local dealers asking whether this would be covered under the 7 year warranty with various results. Without naming stores, 2 told me that it would not be covered, 1 told me they were not sure, and the 4th told me that they think it is covered, so not exactly clarified the situation.

Has anyone been through a similar scenario or know whether bearings would be covered under the warranty?

Kind regards,

Craig

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Has anyone been through a similar scenario or know whether bearings would be covered under the warranty?
It’s a good question, ‘Wiggy74’, and I’d be interested to know whether wheel bearings are covered and if so, for how long.

Why don’t you run it past KIA Customer Support in this forum and see if they can provide the answer? From experience, I know that wheel bearings can be responsible for different noises but the most common is a whine. What are you basing your suspicions on - a whine, or a crack or groan type of sound?

You haven’t mentioned the mileage on the car but wheel bearings are pretty robust these days and can go on for many years without attention. As a 2016 model, if your mileage is what is generally considered to be average, I’d think wheel bearing failure would be extraordinary and replacement should be under warranty.

Unless you are certain that the noise emanates from the bearings, why don’t you simply book it in and let your dealer investigate the noise?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Although wheel bearings do eventually wear out this is only usually at extreme mileage. They are not a service item so wheel bearings will be under warranty against defect in materials or workmanship but not against misuse or abuse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your advice. I must admit, I am basing my theory on the wheel bearings purely from 30 years driving experience, but have not had it confirmed yet by a professional. The mileage is approx. 40k, so in theory it should not be the bearings, but the noise it makes, more of a rattle every time I go over any kind of bump and only seems to be the near side rear wheel.

I will book it in as it is due a service anyway and they can have a look for me but just didn't want to be stung with an enormous bill unnecessarily.

Thanks again, will let you know the results soon.

Kind regards,

Craig

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
IME wheel bearings do not rattle, they drone.

More likely a suspension part or the exhaust mountings.

·
Banned
666 Posts
I agree that it sounds more likely to be a suspension part.
Broken coil springs are very common on lots of cars these days - not warranty
Could be a broken shock - possibly warranty - although shocks are a wear and tear item.
Could be a knackered bush - I've had them done under warranty on BMWs, Renaults and Nissans.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have booked it in for a service and for them to check what it is, although at £460.00 just for a service, that seems very excessive to me?

The wheel sounds like there is something loose in the boot rattling around (the boot is empty) but as you say it could be a number of things, so will get it checked out.

Cheers,

·
Registered
336 Posts
We had a similar experience with my wife's 8 year old Renault Megane cabrio (15,000 miles on clock from new). There was a rattle on front o/s wheel which was traced to a broken coil spring. It and the front n/s were both replaced by Renault under extended warranty with no quibble!

And no comments about the wife's driving please :)

·
Banned
666 Posts
£460 for a service is outrageous.
We've only had the two services so far, but neither has been over £200
If the third one is likely to be as much as yours, then I'd be better of paying to return it to the lease company before the service is due.
When we had our Hyundai IX35, I complained to Hyundai that three years of servicing, covering only 23000 miles, cost us close to £700.
So it made that car officially more expensive than a Porsche to service for the same mileage.
They refunded me £200 as a goodwill gesture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer told me that the 4th service is always the most comprehensive, and the 5th one for example is only around £85.00.

I was expecting around £150.00 but no where near £460.00, but as I have it on PCP, I am not sure whether I can get it done from an independent dealer or whether it has to be from Kia?

·
Banned
666 Posts
Check the terms of your particular PCP agreement, but I've had cars on PCP and lease serviced by independents before.
It's EU law that you're allowed to do this, as long as genuine parts used etc.
I can't see how any agreement can overrule this.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think that if the agreement that you signed stipulates ...... you have to abide by it.
If it say you just need to service the car, you can go anywhere.
Back to wheel bearings, you need to take a ride in a Prius mincab to experience shot wheel bearings?

·
Banned
666 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but I don’t think any agreement can force you to use a main dealer.
This was ruled illegal in EU law years ago.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I stand to be corrected, but I don’t think any agreement can force you to use a main dealer.
This was ruled illegal in EU law years ago.
You are correct in that a manufacturer cannot monopolise the aftercare of a vehicle, but the OWNER (the finance company) can make any stipulations in the contract he chooses.

·
Banned
666 Posts
You are correct in that a manufacturer cannot monopolise the aftercare of a vehicle, but the OWNER (the finance company) can make any stipulations in the contract he chooses.
Do you have any examples of a lease/PCP company stipulating servicing must be done at main dealers?
Genuine question, genuinely interested.
Not something I've seen or heard of in years of lease/PCP experience, but interested to see examples.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Do you have any examples of a lease/PCP company stipulating servicing must be done at main dealers?
Genuine question, genuinely interested.
Not something I've seen or heard of in years of lease/PCP experience, but interested to see examples.

No none. I am merely being pedantic. It is entirely possible and legal for a finance company to want to preserve their warranty and thus preserve the resale value of their asset by requiring proper servicing and even specifying dealer servicing. Whether any of them do I have no idea. It occurs to me that they might have a similar interest in accident damage repairs.

As a PCP user yourself, have you carefully read the contract - what provisions does it make regarding servicing?

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
Can wee please keep to the OP's question and not get into another thread discussing Kia pricing and servicing.

·
Banned
666 Posts
As a PCP user, yes I check the servicing requirement.
All I’ve seen merely state that the manufacturers requirement are met.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My son had an Astra on PCP a few years ago, and paid them, I think, 20 quid a month extra to cover tyres, servicing etc.

When the first service was due, they told him to book it in with Halfords ?‍♂

1 - 20 of 21 Posts