Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs Rusty's Carens failed it's MOT last week, apart from the usual handbrake advisory it failed on a rough front nearside wheel bearing......surprising at a mere 80000 miles but I thought no problem, a Saturday afternoon job I've done loads of times before on more ancient and ratty motors. Pull the hub apart, mig round the bearing shell and knock it out and pull the new one in with the bearing installer tool I bought years ago (a wonderful piece of kit) and in for retest on Monday- I was expecting that getting the bearing circlip out would be the hardest part of the job, How wrong I was!!

Bearing obtained from the local factor, hubnut off, tight as expected but no problem with the usual scaffold pole assistance, caliper off, disc off, track rod end off, ABS sensor stuck but eventually shifted,and knuckle lifted off the ballpin............this is where the problems started

In the normal way of things the driveshaft should now just pop out of the hub with a light tap...not in this case, it was well and truly stuck in the hub.

OK, a bit of blowtorch and hammer should shift it.....no chance, at this point I knocked the UJ apart and took the hub/uj/knuckle assembly down the road to the local gearbox place where they have a 20 tonne press and do this sort of thig for a beer.....that'll move it I thought...Oh no!!! The press went into the red and the UJ was still well and truly stuck in the hub.
It appears that the splines on the UJ have fused to the hub....grrrrrr.

The upshot is that I've had to source a new hub, knuckle, and UJ, which I've just assembled with the new bearing ready to put back on the car tomorrow. How long to put the new bearing in the new hub? 10 mins

Now, has anyone else come across a Carens frot hub bearing failig this early? While I was waiting for my new bits to arrive I cut the old assembly up with the grinder out of curiosity- I've sliced right through the assembly longitudinaly, ad the splines are STILL stuck together, I still can't split the parts!!!

Looking at the bits of bearing shell that I've salvaged the inner track is pretty pitted, I can only assume that it was a rogue bearing from new but I can't explain why the splines of the UJ have seize to the hub, it's almost as if they've been welded on!! The bearing may have been running hot, but not hot enough to cause this.

I'm lucky in that I can get bits at trade price through a mate who works for Vauxhall, and do the work myself (I actually enjoy it.....
) but I dread to think how much this lot would've cost had I left it to a garage to sort- I reckon this would've been a minimum of £500...........

Has anyone else had this much hassle from a poxy wheel bearing????

·
Registered
662 Posts
80,000 miles most cars 10 years ago didn't last 80k so i think you had your fair wear out of that
oh yes i know someones going to say my cars done 6 million miles and i still have the same oil and spark plugs but i did have to empty the ash tray at 4 million is that acceptable or should i write to the manufacture and complain and claim compensation as i had to use shoe leather going to the bin to empty the ash tray why don't ash trays empty themselves

bit like my customer yesterday who came in to complain that KIA glass frosts up more easily than Ford glass he maintained that his focus never used to frost up as much as his KIA has this year and he wondered if he has a car with a batch of faulty glass i told him the sand used to make KIA glass came from the Norwegian flat lands and was classed as a cold sand where as Ford sourced theirs from the deserts of Africa and therefore it was a warmer type that didn't frost as much and he should contact KIA and complain

one day i am going to write a book on my customers

by the way if you recognise your self in the above ramblings GET A LIFE!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well all reassembled now and the car back on it's wheels...now all I need to do is reset the abs lamp- I had to disconnect the sensor cable under the bonnet and following reconnection the lamp is now on permanantly so I might try disconnecting the battery for a while and that's about all I can think of so unless anyone knows of an easy fix it's off down to Kia.

"80,000 miles most cars 10 years ago didn't last 80k so i think you had your fair wear out of that"

... I think you're wrong there Paul, 10 years ago it was 2001, not long ago at all- I suspect you're thinking of the seventies when 100000 miles was almost unbelievable, I think 80000 is early for a front wheel bearing failure, for a modern car 80000 miles is nothing, a lot of fleet motors will knock that off in the first couple of years.

I think it was definately a rogue bearing, there's quite a bit of pitting on one track but not the other, and I still don't know how the hub became so fused to the UJ splines, really strange!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
80,000 miles is not a high mileage for a decent car made in the last 20 to 25 years that's been maintained properly. But there are many factors to consider, such as car age, type of driving (short vs. long trips) driving style, environment the car is in etc...then you can always be unlucky.

I think in terms of reliability, this reached a peak in the late 80s. The technology was mature, cars were not loaded down with lots of electronic crap that goes wrong and car manufacturers had not caught on to the idea of making something that deliberately went wrong so they could make money out of selling you spare parts.

Mr Rusty, did you look at thehub on the other side?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not going near the other hub unlessI absolutely have to!!!

The car is testedand sorted now but I'm none the wiser as to how the whole hub assembly became fused together. I've now sliced the remains with the grinder almost completely through linearly like a frankfurter just out of curiosityand it's all still stuck together.

The only thing I can think of is that thehub must have been assembleddamp or with already rusting bits and maybethe hubnut cranked on too muchcausing the CV splines to seize to the hub splinesinto one solidmass, whatever the cause was, there must havebeen a quality controlproblem somewhere.....mind you, when it didn't shift under 20 tons at the gearbox place I somehow guessed it wasn't going to move!

I did have a word with one of the mechanics at the local Kia place who said they'd seen thisbefore on a few occasions, and nowif they quote for a front wheel bearing on a Carensthey make the customer aware that this might occur and the bill may increase rapidly and astronomically.

When the missus phoned me from the test station to say It'd failed on a bearing and they wanted £170ish to do the jobI saidno, I'll do it at the weekend- I've done loads of bearings over theyears and it's no different to any other car in this respect, same procedure......I dread to think how much this would have cost someone who can't do their own work

All in all, what should have been a two or threehour Saturday afternoon potterbecame an absolute horror of a job, and the things been so easy to maintain up to now, even the cambelt was a doddle compared to some!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Maybe should be part of the 2 year service to have the hub disassembled and regreased.

Salt has probably got into a joint that has not been greased, then the heat from the brake disc has helped the corrosion process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts