Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! What's everybody else's MPG on their Rio? I am particularly interested in 1.0lr 118bhp engine. The best I had was 38.4MPG until I did accidental reset, now it is at about 35.5.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi icelink, just done my first long run in my new Rio "First Edition" 1.0 T-GDI 118bhp the vast majority being on the M1 and A1M at 73 mph where possible and 50mph through roadworks and returned 49.9 mpg average. Was using cruise control and speed limiter as often as I could and controlling speed using my right thumb rather than my right boot, quite good figures I think, car has only got 600 miles on it ‘�

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dilus said:
Hi icelink, just done my first long run in my new Rio "First Edition" 1.0 T-GDI 118bhp the vast majority being on the M1 and A1M at 73 mph where possible and 50mph through roadworks and returned 49.9 mpg average. Was using cruise control and speed limiter as often as I could and controlling speed using my right thumb rather than my right boot, quite good figures I think, car has only got 600 miles on it ‘�

Hey dilus! Pretty good numbers you've got! can say the same for mine on the motorway, you get some very good figures from it! I have now managed to get 400miles on one tank with mixed usage but about 60-65% on the motorway. That is 42mpg(if i remember correctly).

thanks to everyone for their inputs!

Edited by: icelink

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just returned from my Yorkshire trip and overall average there and back is 48.7mpg not bad considering I have been touching 80mph at safe times on the motorway and 73 on cruise control the rest of the time. Helped having no hold ups at all. Rio has been superb to drive, infotainment system is excellent, the wife had her mobile plugged on, listened to and replied to a text message without have to touch her phone, great for road safety (even though she wasn't driving) SatNav performed great too, even zooms in on junctions automatically to show you the road signs in detail on the 7" screen. Very happy ˜‰‘�

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
dilus said:
I have been touching 80mph at safe times on the motorway and 73 on cruise control the rest of the time.

I don't feel safe knowing that there's someone driving at 80mph along a road with a maximum speed limit of 70 mph. There's nothing I can remember in the Highway Code about 'safe times' so I guess you must decide all by yourself when laws can be broken?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Due to the ever increasing amount of people middle lane hogging and sticking religiously to 70mph doing so, it needs to be done at times ”

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
dilus said:
Due to the ever increasing amount of people middle lane hogging and sticking religiously to 70mph doing so, it needs to be done at times ”

Yes, I thought you would have some selfish justification for breaking the law. Curiously, I have been driving for over 60 years (probably about a million miles) and I have never found lane hoggers nor those who stay within the law with regard to speed, any reason for me to break the law.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi all! What's everybody else's MPG on their Rio? I am particularly interested in 1.0lr 118bhp engine. The best I had was 38.4MPG until I did accidental reset, now it is at about 35.5.
Done a lap of the Cotswolds today in the Rio 1.0 T-GDI 120 and achieved my best ever MPG figures, it hit 55.9mpg at one point (52.1mph for the trip) might add I was driving it like a Monk believing there was an egg under the loud pedal :angel:
I’m not normally concerned with MPG figures, it’s not what I bought the car for but did have the wife and growler in the car and was taking in some glorious scenery.
The car normally returns mid to late 40s under general daily use.

·
Registered
913 Posts
A lap of mid Wales today and it touched 61.2mpg without trying, the fresh oil at last weeks service must have done it the world of good ? Engine nicely loosened up now it’s passed 8k. Back to the real world now and lots of town work so expect it drop back to high 40s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Rio 2 1.4 (2015) is and am lucky if I get over 40mpg. Have just done 100 mile round trip, mainly on clear empty roads and averaged 37.8mpg. I guess that something might be awry, is this something that can be fixed by a trip to the garage to have the computer tweaked?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have Rio 2 1.4 (2015) is and am lucky if I get over 40mpg.

Have you calculated the MPG between fill ups to check what you're actually getting against the computer?

The figure you're quoting does seem quite low, my 2017 1.4 has a rolling average of 49.5. Best single trip figure for a 150 mile journey - admittedly on the M6 with large stretches in 50 mph roadworks - was 59 mpg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the wife's 1.4 CDRI going clockwise on the M25, if I reset the computer at the top of the hill at junction 8, stick it in cruise control at 60mph, it still showing 99.9mpg at Heathrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gt-Line here, I thought the Rio didn't have enough power so I remapped it to 150. Even then I'm still getting 55 on trips longer than 6-7 miles. Baring in mind that I'm driving like an EV driver, letting go of the accelerator going down hill, light braking, rolling up to traffic lights slowly etc etc. If I were lighter with the accelerator I'd be getting 60 - 65 mpg. 1.0 Turbo engines are crazy efficient, as long as you give them time to warm up. I work at a Kia dealership, and regularly refuel them. The petrol station is about 3 miles away, and they all get horrendous mpg on the way there. On the way back however, They're looking at 40-47 mpg, simply because they've warmed up a bit.

It's a shame Kia have discontinued the 1.4 Turbo Diesel, those used to hit 55 without even trying when they were warmed up.

And if anyones wondering, I haven't voided the warranty by remapping the car. It's well within safe perimeters, and unless something goes wrong because of the remap, I'm covered.

Reactions: BAWITHLOT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gt-Line here, I thought the Rio didn't have enough power so I remapped it to 150. Even then I'm still getting 55 on trips longer than 6-7 miles. Baring in mind that I'm driving like an EV driver, letting go of the accelerator going down hill, light braking, rolling up to traffic lights slowly etc etc. If I were lighter with the accelerator I'd be getting 60 - 65 mpg. 1.0 Turbo engines are crazy efficient, as long as you give them time to warm up. I work at a Kia dealership, and regularly refuel them. The petrol station is about 3 miles away, and they all get horrendous mpg on the way there. On the way back however, They're looking at 40-47 mpg, simply because they've warmed up a bit.

It's a shame Kia have discontinued the 1.4 Turbo Diesel, those used to hit 55 without even trying when they were warmed up.

And if anyones wondering, I haven't voided the warranty by remapping the car. It's well within safe perimeters, and unless something goes wrong because of the remap, I'm covered.
Out of interest, where did you get it remapped and how much did it cost? How much of a noticeable difference has it made?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts