Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's Sportage going in 4 months.
We don't need the cabin size any more, rarely four of us in a car together now.
What is important is boot sizefor her work gubbins, and it still needs to have an SUV style ride height.
So is it the Niro or Stonic we should look at??
I find them so similar I'm confused as to why they have them both in the range!

·
Registered
362 Posts
What is important is boot sizefor her work gubbins, and it still needs to have an SUV style ride height.
What about the Xceed?

·
Super Moderator
2,619 Posts
Nero has a much bigger boot that the Stonic.
I love my stonic, its a good car. Avg 40 MPG @ 16K
But at the moment we need a bigger boot. So I'm looking at going the other way.
Also look at pro-ceed or even ceed if boot space is a necessity.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have a look at the Niro I think.
The electric one would be nice if I can get one within monthly PCP budget.
She won't look at anything with a normal ride height, she hates 'falling' into cars (as she puts it).
You wanted to hear the bitching when I had my Mini....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Judging by price, the Stonic is smaller than everything except Rio & Picanto. What Car compare the Stonic with the Kona which is smaller than the Niro. Stonic is £7000 cheaper than Niro base model.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A couple of years ago we were relacing the wifes Nissan Note (small MPV) and the Stonic seemed perfect on paper but unfortunately reality was very different. The boot was tiny, the rear seat space was poor and added to that the quality of plastics were terrible. No way a Note substitute.

We looked briefly at the Niro but it was way to expensive for a 2nd car, have to say it was much better space wise.

But the surprise for us was the Rio. It was about £2000 cheaper than the Stonic and space wise was just as good. Wife really liked it but the specs let it down, the model 3 had "faux leather" seats which in truth were plastic, last car we had with plastic seats was a 1973 Viva, no way we wanted them again.

So IMHO I would say the NIro is a smaller replacement for the Sportage but the best thing is for the OP to go and look when the garages re-open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Xceed gd

·
Registered
231 Posts
Niro is taller than the Xceed if she prefer the ride height to be higher when driving but if she wants all the bells and whistles Kia puts on their cars nowadays then go for the Xceed First Edition, price wise not much difference between the 2 models for petrol editions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been looking at the lease/PCP costs and and, TBH, the costs of the smaller models gets a bit daft if you want good spec.
Same costs as the likes of a Sportage GT with the soft hybrid/diesel option.
They evidently think the Sportage will keep its value better than high spec examples of the smaller cars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quite often there are overlaps in any brand's models. According to "What Car" the Niro is nearest to the Sportage. These are cut n pastes from W.C. reviews:- SPORTAGE:We'll tell you how it compares with key family SUV rivals, such as the Skoda Karoq, Nissan Qashqai and Seat Ateca, as well as the smaller, premium competitors that you can buy for around the same price, such as the Mini Countryman and Audi Q2. E-Niro: Key to its appeal is its phenomenal range between charges, but there are many more strings to the bow of this Nissan Qashqai-sized family SUV that help make it a great buy.
Nevertheless, the Kia Stonic is the smallest SUV in the brand’s portfolio, being related to the Rio small hatchback in much the same way Renault uses the Clio as the basis for the Captur.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a Captur for three years.
Basically reliable, extremely cheap to run (easy 50mpg and zero roadtax etc)
But the build quality was shocking, far worse than the Juke I had at the same time that was mechanically identical.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We had a Captur for three years.
Basically reliable, extremely cheap to run (easy 50mpg and zero roadtax etc)
But the build quality was shocking, far worse than the Juke I had at the same time that was mechanically identical.
We had a Note for 3 years. Same floor pan as the Captur but it used Nissans Supercharged engine instead of Renaults Turbo as used in the Captur and Joke.

50 mpg, zero VED, decent build quality but possibly the most boring place on earth to be.

Looked at the Stonic but it did not compare in any way. It was poor for interior quality, internal space and boot space.

Definitely a feat of design to get things so wrong.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I loved my Juke, I'd have another one no problem.
It could be thrown around like far sportier cars, really amazing handling and grip for an SUV - far better than the Captur.
I'm aware of the marmite looks, but that doesn't bother me (as can be seen by the fact I also had a Leaf)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a look at the Niro, but found the ride height to be no better than my earlier Astra estate, not sure why they call it SUV. Would have liked one, but the ride height was just too low.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's only the lazy press & media that thinks the Niro is a SUV. KIA have NEVER called it that. I had a '66 plate 1st gen hybrid and I now have the EV. Both cars were described by KIA as "crossover" between hatchback & SUV.
KIA Motors - KIA Niro | KIA's First Crossover Hybrid‎
Ad·www.kia.com/UK‎

Discover The New, Low-Emission Hybrid Crossover From Kia. Find Out More Here. Enquire Now. 7yr/100,000 Mile Warranty. Models: Soul-EV, Niro, e-Niro

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TBH I'm totally lost as to why Kia have the Niro and the Stonic, they look so similar in all respects that it seems pointless to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts