Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a ceed 3 2010 deisel auto, as a driving school car, teaching auto and disability (its been fitted with all of the relevant disability controls). As you will know these cars are fitted with a space saver spare, which is of no use to me as examiners will not take a car out fitted with a space saver. So i have no choice but to buy a 17" alloy spare wheel £94 from my local Kia dealer, my question is what tyres has other owners fitted to this car, at the moment it has michelin primacy, I would also like to fit the ones with the rim saver built into it, as I am getting paranoid keeping my pupils away from the kerbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Auto.Mike
I have an Cee'd 3auto crdi SW [estate]. Are you actually going to put the new alloy in the existing spare wheel boot well? It will not fit. The only wheel that fits with the floor trim panel in the boot , is the original space saver. I have a 15 inch full sizesteel spare in my wheel well, but I had to fit modellers rigid foam, along the sides of the wheel well to support the removable boot deck cover.

As for the tyre, since spare wheels rarely get used, I had fitted a buget tyre i.e cheap.

If you know all this already, sorry.

As for wheel rim protection, I have Alloy Gator rim protectors on my wheels. They were fitted about eight months ago and they do work, I was forced into a kerb and though thr protector was grazed the alloy wheel was fine. http://www.alloygator.co.uk

finally, did you read the topic about the problems with the crdi auto running problem i.e. the judder at around 1600rpm. Just wondering if it has effected you?

packman

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Find it hard to believe that an examiner will not take a car out with a space saver, its perfectly legal, is there legislation somewhere that states this?Why not jsut remove the space saver,again its not a legal requirement to carry a spare, just carry a can of gunge.

When we go to Scotland we take a 16" spare in the boot instead of the space saver, would hate to get caught with 300+ miles to go on a wheel barrow tyre. It fits in the wheel well OK, the tool carrier fits OK but the tray that goes under the carpet wont't fit and the carpet is a bit unsupported down the sides, other than that its fine and no rattles.

With regards to kerb protection know what you mean about the Michelins. In the past I had a couple of cars with Bridgestones and they had brilliant kerb protectors but they made removing/fitting tyres more difficult. The Focus we had was fitted with Pirrelli P7 and they had good protection as well.

Paul
Edited by: suttonseven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Paul, you would be surprised at how fussy the examiners are, and yes it is true they would definatly refuse to take the car out with a space saver on, i have had this confirmed by various examiners.I think the thinking is that as you would be restricted to 50 mph, they may want to take the pupil onto a national speed limit road. And the wheels would have to be the same size, I could probably fit a 17" wheel from an older ceed or even from another vehicle with the same p.c.d, but in the end i think it is more realistic to get a matching wheel, that way if I do have to fit it i will not have to rush to change it again.

As for the fitting in the boot i will have to face that problem when i get to it, as it is i carry a fair bit of equipment in the boot already.

I have had a slight judder a couple of times at about 25 - 30 at low revs, but have not noticed it for a while now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's a bit shocking abouta properspare wheel not fitting! Paul, how does it affect your insurance using a 16" as the spare?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
16" wheel fits fine in the boot in place of the space saver, just a bit taller but only take it on long trips. With regards to insurance its no different to using a space saver except that its safer, the correct speed ratingand the correct diameter.

Auto.mike, when we had a Mondeo it had a full size steel spare with an identical tyre to the other 4. It was marked on the wheel in bright yellow paint "max. speed 50kph". I asked the dealer why the full size spare was restricted to 50kph when the tyre was the same as the rest, was told that the steel wheel is light weight contruction to save weight and would collapse if subject to high speed running. How would the examiniers view that?

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi M4trundler and PaulSpare wheel carrying does not effect your insurance, but if you do carry a spare it must be in good condition with the right tread depth. Otherwise if the Police or others who do road side checks, find the spare to be faulty, you can be fined etc. Also remember that aerosol flat tyre fix, can make the inside of the tyre, unfixable by the garage later.
Next,the space saver spare wheel, is only designed to run for thirty miles at fifty miles per hour!!!! After this time it must be replaced. Finally, you may not know this, but the space saver is NOT meant to be fitted on the front wheel. Apparently, because the tyre is so thin compared to the other front wheel, the braking can be very suspect especially on a poor road surface. The solution is to take a good wheel from the back of the vehicle to the front and place the space saver on the back! None of this, is in the handbook. I found all this on another vehicle forum some years ago. Imagine being stuckin themiddle of the night, one or two hundred miles from home and you do not have brake down cover.Therefore I now carry a 15" full size spare in the back.

Sorry again if you knew this, but most people do not. Worried me when I found out!

packman

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
suttonseven said:
16" wheel fits fine in the boot in place of the space saver, just a bit taller but only take it on long trips. With regards to insurance its no different to using a space saver except that its safer, the correct speed rating and the correct diameter.
Auto.mike, when we had a Mondeo it had a full size steel spare with an identical tyre to the other 4. It was marked on the wheel in bright yellow paint "max. speed 50kph". I asked the dealer why the full size spare was restricted to 50kph when the tyre was the same as the rest, was told that the steel wheel is light weight contruction to save weight and would collapse if subject to high speed running. How would the examiniers view that?

Paul
Have you got different rims to Auto.mike?If you've got a 16" on one side and a 17" on the other, then that isn't as specified by the manufacturer. Obviously better than the space saver, but you know what these dopey officious insurance people are like!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Will have identical rims to Auto.mike, its a 2010 Ceed 3 but a manual SW.

Yes it means I would have 3 17" wheels and 1 16" wheel but the Insurance Company are happy for emergency use, they simply accept it is way better than a standard space saver because the tyre is the correct speed rating, load rating and diameter. What Packman says about puttingthe space saveron the rear appears to make sense since the front wheels normally carry most ofthe load and do most of the work but if you get a front puncture on a dark night who is going to swap a good rear tyre to the front and then fit the space saver on the rear, I would'nt.

When you put the space saver at the side of a standard wheel it is truly staggering how much smaller it is in diameter. Surely that must upset the stabilty control (ESP)since that measures wheel rotation speed and brakesany wheel that is rotating faster than the others assuming it is spinning. When ESP was first introduced VW stated that cars fitted with it could not use space savers.

Of the 3 cars in our household 2 don'thave spares at all.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I sense a previous protracted conversation with an insurance co. Indian call centre over this issue Paul!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
à•à¥‹àˆ à—à²à à¨à¹à¥à‚ à¹à¥‹à—ྠàà¿à¸à®à¥‡à‚ à­à¾à°àà¥à¯ àªà¥�à•à¾à° à•à¥‡à¨à¥�à¦à¥�à°à¥‹à‚ ॠàµà¥‡ à…àªà¨à¥‡ à¸à¿à°à¥�à« à�à• à¶à¬à¥�ঠà¨à¹à¥à‚ à¸à®à¥©à¾ àªà¾à¯à¾ à¹à¥‚à� à¹à® à•à¹àे à¹à¥ˆà‚ à¥

Ha ha sort that one out guys. I bet your amazed I can speak Hindi

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Aviva speak better English than you speak Hindi, just.
It was only a short conversation regarding the spare, the ajent just referred it to an underwriter who gave an answer in about 30 seconds. Only problem is when you asked for written confirmation they say all calls are logged and taped and are kept for record purposes thus you have no proof.

Virgin Media are in Glasgow and its an absolute nightmare when you speak to their call centre, need a translator.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going back to the original thread; when it was stated that it would not fit, I assumed you meant the diameter would not fit, so i tried one of the wheels in the boot and it fits fine, yes the wheel is about 4'" wider but thats not much of a problem to overcome with a small frame which can be used for maps etc;.The spare wheel space saver is actually a 15" wheel, which to me is total madness considering the rest of the wheels are 17" and even with the bigger tyre there is still a difference of about 2-3" in diameter.
I have been told by an old friend who has a new Ford Focus, that they will not fit a space saver as in some countries they are not allowed, so they supply the can of gunk instead.
I have ordered the new 17" alloy spare wheel and i think i will be fitting the same tyre as on the car, but with the rim saver ridge, its all a bit expensive but at least it will cover all the potential problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Further to my last post, I have now received the new alloy wheel £113 inc vat, and fitted it with a part worn michilin (to match the ones already on the car), and with the money saved on the part worn tyre, I have ordered the Alloy-gators in silver. The spare fits in the boot, it just means that I have raised the boot floor by about 4".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts