Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of DPF does the 1.6CRDi use?
I understand that links are not allowed, but if you google for "passive dpf the aa" (not including quotes) you will see an AA article on DPFs.
I was wondering of the 1.6CRDiused an Eolys additive rather like pug/citroens do or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The U2 diesel found in the 2010 models do not have any form of DPF I don't know about the earlier U1 engine fitted prior to 2010.

Its almost certain they will have a DPF for the 2011 model year to conform to Euro emissions standards.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its only the UK engines that dont have DPF's some of the European Cee'ds do have them and they are of the regenerative type.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, for that, I must read the handbook again, I was *sure* it mentioned a DPF.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

My 2011 model Ceed SW CRDi has a DPF, it appears to be thetype fitted with the catalyst just after the turbo, its a pretty big canister. Sticker on the door tells you to drive the car at 1500-2000rpm for 25 minutes if the engine warning light blinks which no doubt regenerates the DPF. I looked under the car and there is nothing under the floor after the flexible connection which if fitted hereI believe these are the type that use the addative since they are a long way from the engine and run too cold to regenerate automatically.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doh! Googled it! Ok must admit I didn't know they existed.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Definitely has a DPF, its regenerated twice now in the first 650 miles which is a bit of a surprise. First time at 300 milesthe idlewas erratic at the M1 roundaboutwhich was the first thing I noticed plus a strong smell of burning, thought that was the Tranny at the side of me at first. Still smelt a bit by the time I was at workand I realised it was probably a regen.It was fine on the way home and the next day. Dropped it off at the dealer the following day, to see if any sensors had left a message but all was OK, he did a forced regen to be sure whilst it was in.

Yesterday with 650 miles on the clock and cruising on the M1 I just happened to spot the fuel consumption was higher than normal, no smell and the car felt perfectly normal. When I arrived at my destination there was a very faint smell as I parked but nothing like the first time. To be completely honest it needed a complete anorak like me to even realise it had happened.

A good 50% of the miles have been on the M1 or A38 with the rest split pretty evenly between A roads and town so its definitely not short journeys that are to blame. Its been filled with Total diesel so don't bame supermarket fuel.

I have asked the dealer to ask Kia if they consider this normal, will have to wait and see. Personally Iam happy for it to happenregulary rather than the DPF become blocked, just need to ascertain what is expected.

I appreciate that mine was one of the first 2011 MY 1600 CRDi's to hit the road but what were your experiences with the 2 litre CRDi, think its the same system fitted to both cars, my dealer said its the same system fitted to all Kia's.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts