Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just assessing options at the moment.

I'd have to be very brave to get another Sedona and would have an even bigger job convincing the wife.

Has anyone had a good 2/3 years experience of the Mk3 2.9 Sedona such that they are able to help compile a list of common faults.

No1 consideration is which brand the fuel system is. My next car will ONLY have a BOSCH system so does anyone know make is used ?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sorry, it's still delphi in the 2.9, only the new 2.2 for 2010 models gets bosch.
All other kia diesels are bosch however.
Although to be fair, I've not seen any serious issues, imv problem and ecm upgrades, should have all been found under warranty now.

Whats your primary? 7 seats or towing ability? I'm probably guessing both?

Edited by: murphwiz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prime requirements are 7 seats and ~2 ton mass so its safe enough to tow a twin axle caravan. I don't specifically want 4x4 but if thats the way to get a car up to the safe mass I need then I'm prepared to consider. I personally think MPVs make better towcars because the centre of gravity is lower than most 4x4s.
I don't think a 1.9/2.0 diesel engine is powerful enough for towing ~1650KG when the car is fully loaded too. I need at least 150HP which tend to be 2.2ltr+ sized.

Due to myopinion on Delphi, I really want to find a car with a Bosch injection system.

If the old KIA Sorento had a pair of fold up third row seats then I would consider one.

Like I mentioned in another post. The 2.2 (~2006 ) 7seat Santa Fe looks like it will do the job on paper, but would it be better to spend the money on an older (~2003) Volvo XC90 or an ML270 Family-pac Merc?

Besides the fuel system, there have been soooo may other things that have broke on my Sedona, how could I convince myself that a 2.2 Hydundai would be any better.....

·
Registered
887 Posts
The new breed are much improved, at thier sales peak the previous generation Sedona was a good earner for dealers in warranty work, could open up on monday monring and have 5 breakdowns to attend to, and normally get 1 a day for rest of week, no exageration!
Now.... Warranty work is minimal, VERY rare to get a tow in, hence why every new kia now gets a 7 year waqrranty, they wouldn't give that thinking it might cost them too much, the product needs to be reliable for the bean counters to be happy.

I don't blame you one bit for your delphi problem, you've been bitten hard by it, try cars that suit you, you'll know what feels right, although I'd avoid the merc, heard a fair few nasty things.. not heard much about the ovlov, so guess thats a good thing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> would you consider the ~2007 vintage 2.9 Sedona in your "Warranty work is minimal" category though? eg is the IMV problem a cheap fix or a new pump?

> Re the 2.2 Santa Fe, there appears to be a short run of EuroIII engines(148HP) then in late 06 they changed to 154HP EuroIV engines. Is there anything to watch out for/avoid either way such as DPFs and other eco gadgets which clog up/destroy the engine?

·
Registered
887 Posts
2007 sedona yes, very little actually goes wrong, the imv was a known issue, tech bulletin raised and ecm upgrade issued along with modified imv, the valve was around £120.
Not sure on the hyundai 2.2, kia never saw it, guessing it's based around the 2.0crdi, the have DPF for euro 4, not seen any issues with them so far, although they must use the right oil or else! we've been told!
DMF's seem a small problem on the 2.0 crdis, seen a few issues, nothing like the problems the euro brands are having!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts