Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Unless my grey matter is failing me(probable) HP tried this once before about ten years ago. They hoped all the competition would follow suit but came unstuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
My old printer broke down about five days ago and I was very disappointed. Then I began to actively search for new printers and I needed quality and durability, and in the end I found such a model. My friend advised me great canadian site with cartridges and printers (MrDepot.ca) and there are just awesome products. By the way there are just great prices. So if you are looking for an inexpensive and high-quality printer, then a Brother printer is a great solution.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
HP said, this week, that they will not, now, stop people from using compatable cartridges. An amazing turn round after a so many bad comments. I only read the report yesterday.

That's because in Europe at least it is illegal. I used to work for HP, not in the printers arena, but the ink is where the big money is. There is a factory in Leixlip producing HP cartridges for all Europe. When an artic leaves the factory (several times a day) is is carrying about $10M in cartridges at list price. Since NIB HP cartridges will sell easily they are a natural target for assorted scrotes. The security at the factory and around the artic is elaborate. IRRC it was claimed that per litre inkjet ink is the most expensive liquid on the planet but a little research shows it to merely be in the top 10.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've got an HP printer and I joined their 'HP instant ink' thing.
It's great, I pay a paltry £1.99 a month, which covers me for 50 prints per month.
The printer tells HP when it needs ink and the cartridges magic their way to my door.
Also get a free return envelope for the empties.
Very cool service.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
I use a printer so little that I had a HP on the £0.00 Instant Ink and never even got near the 15 page limit. But the dammed thing kept blocking up and despite only being less than 3 years old refused to print properly.
In the end I decided to get a Colour Lazer printer.
Ended up with a Brother Hl-L8260CDW Cost £175, but had a £100 cashback offer so was a no brainier. Only issue is it's size. But found that I can hide it in a bedroom cupboard so it is out of sight with no problem.
Prints very nicely, even on Photo paper for prints.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Personally, I use a Canon mg5750 with cheap ink from ebay. Most eBay ink is OK, but not perfect for photos. However some cheap eBay ink is as good as the Canon ink. Trouble is, when I install a good ink in the printer, find out that it is actually great at photos, then log back on to ebay to rebuy some weeks later, the ink is usually no longer available. So I have to trial yet another cheap ink.
It can block with both cheap and expensive ink, but it's cheaper to purge it out, nozzle unblocking, with the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lot of stuff here. But I recommend getting one that is cheap but where you can obtain cheap replacement inks from , say, Cartridge People. I have a HP 2130 . But if you use lots of copies get a laser printer where you can get cheap inks. The profit is in teh ink and the printer is a lost leader. It's a gold mine - for printer companies.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
I use so little ink that the (inflated) price of HP ink doesn't bother me but their printers are reliable, cheap, and widely available in supermarkets.
I tend to buy the cheapest HP I can find and currently have an HP 1050 J410 using 301 inks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
At £1.99 per month for their 'instant ink' service, HP can't be making much/any money off me.
I don't keep tabs, but we get 'a few' colour and black cartridges a year and they'd surely come to more than £23.88 (postage included)
And I get to post the empties back to them in a free envelope, so no hassle or cost there either!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts