Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new printer.
I am tighter than a ducks posterior. I could teach a gnat wotsits about tightness.
So I likes me printers like I like my cars. Cheap and nasty

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What type of printer?

Inkjet, Laser, Colour Laser???

It all depends on your needs, I have a Colour Laser and I can recommend a place called Printerland.

Add a .co.uk for the web address.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've got a epson xp425 which I think is about £50 (mine's secondhand got it for valeting a car), it's a printer, scanner, works off wifi and I can get 8 ink cartridges for £4.00 on ebay!

Davy

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking of canon MG5750.
Inkjet.
Printers are like cheap but ink costs.
Shames no more dot matrix.
But I think go for Canon MG42.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HP every time. Mine was delivered brand new from HP for £25. It's a HP 3450, with wifi and built in flatbed scanner.
Does a decent job of printing. Refills are about £20 for a colour and black bundle, and you can buy them at Wilkos.

Personally I'd never buy a second hand printer. There not that expensive in the first place to take the risk and getting a faulty unit.Edited by: Si 1969

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you had a look at HP Instant Ink printers ? Never pay for print cartridge again , just pay a small monthly fee £1.99 for 50 pages or £3.99 for 100 pages. Small amount of text or full page of colours counts as 1 page.

They send a new cartridge out automatically before you run out.

<a href="%20" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiy0Mv1ttLOAhVK7BQKHaPlD88QFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww8.hp.com%2Fuk%2Fen%2Fads%2Finstant-ink%2Foverview.html&usg=AFQjCNEFxk-NUX1coqCV4nRsGxIh9DKe7g</a>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting, I've never heard of this. Almost like a contact printer. Price is fair too, but I guess to get the most out of the scheme you need to know what your printing demands will be.

I only own a printer for very occasional use, so it wouldn't work for me. However, if you have a business or a club that you manage, this could be potentially great. Not sure how much the eligible printers cost though.

I'll stick with my printer and buy a replacement cartridge every year or so. Personally if I was printing 50+ pages a month I'd buy a laser printer.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna go for that canon mg5750
£50 so not breaking bank
Ink seems ok if u buy the no canon stuff.

I have a feeling that this maybe not the right choice but £50 is a cheap mistake and it gets good reviews

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good day.
Bought a Canon MG5750 so did a lot of printing.
It was noisy awkward and difficult to set up.
After a month it broke as it no longer fed paper.
Not impressed. The design of the feed tray was a Heath Robinson affair which I've no idea how anyone can design something that bad.
Got a HP envy as replacement and it was very good. So easy to use and set up and it still feeds paper. And the feed tray ain't stupid.
So my recommendation is the HP Envy 4524 over the Canon.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
We don't do a lot of printing so a printer that spends the first 2 minutes cleaning its print-head and wasting ink (like a Kodak I had once) is not for me.Always buy genuine cartridges to avoid problems later.Tend to go for HP as cheap but usually OK for the occasional picture and don't breakdown.

So I bought an HP DeskJet 3632 for £36 for my wife a few months ago.
Uses 302 cartridges.
Didn't take up the "Instant Ink" offer as don't do enough printing to make it worthwhile!

My HP DeskJet 1050 J410 I bought for £30 a few years ago for myself is still going strong.
Uses 301 cartridges.

Edited by: GTOldie

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Canon was a pain so my recommendation is HP.
HP was far easier.
Got 5 months free of instant ink so signed up.
Will wait see how it works.
Got canon from curry's and took it back and said don't feed no more so duff.
They said we have to take it back to fix. 4 weeks.
Want printer now I said!
Manager said as a favour I can swap printer of same value which was the HP. I couldn't get the canon as was no longer in sale and I would have to pay difference.
Er..no. no paying for printer that don't work.
HP envy worked very well and really happy with it.Edited by: the basket

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have an HP All-in-one printer/copier/scanner (can't remember the model number and I'm away in Guernsey right now so I can't look). It cost about £50 some 8 years ago.

I never ever use HP cartridges (ridiculous price), instead I get HP compatible cartridges from Cartridgesave on the Interweb. They are great, about 1/3 the price, and last ages if you get the 22ml version. The only thing they don't do is monitor the ink levels but I know when I am about to run out as the paper stays clean!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an epson Px700W all in one printer scanner which I got over 6 years ago. It is in constant use so I always leave it on standby so the ink does not dry in the pipes and avoids the ink waste a 2 minute start up and clean does. I use epson compatible ink cartridges purchased online for around £12 for 5 sets. Every now and again I get the 'replace waste ink pad' error message which would involve an engineer call out which costs as much as a new printer but thanks to some lovely soul who posted the official counter reset software on a forum I have kept going through at least 3 attacks. Apparently the software is available from epson in the states but not from epson over here. So it is epson all the way for me

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Only downside of compatible cartridges is the recent media storm when HP stated that they were installing software to ignore non HP cartridges. Won't be long before the others catch on, and bang go the cheap cartridges. OK if you have an older printer, but if looking for a new one, beware.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
HP said, this week, that they will not, now, stop people from using compatable cartridges. An amazing turn round after a so many bad comments. I only read the report yesterday.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts