Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may require another used vehicle sooner or later and like the "appearance" of the Nissan xtrail. However the Sportage has apparently more luggage space.
What other competitors have Sportage owners compared with prior to choosing the Kia?
What makes the sportage better than competitors?

I'm looking for maximum space for both passengers and luggage.
5 seats only.
Good visibility from both front and rear seats.
Automatic trans, won't be towing.
DIY friendly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I may require another used vehicle sooner or later and like the "appearance" of the Nissan xtrail. However the Sportage has apparently more luggage space.
What other competitors have Sportage owners compared with prior to choosing the Kia?

5 seats only.
DIY friendly.
I was on the verge of buying a SEAT Ateca, but a lazy salesman made me decide to look elsewhere. Both cars would have suited my needs, but the Kia salesperson was streets ahead of the SEAT sales person, and Kia did a much better deal on price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Well when I was considering a Sportage, before change of mind I was also considering a Ford Kuga. In fact the Kuga was a better option, but then they hit major issues with the PHEV that I was looking at. Made Kia issues with the Sportage MHEV seem like nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts

5 seats only.
DIY friendly.
Wish i had stayed with my ford kuga a better allround car for me, why i say this now is to reinforce the idea that its not always greener on the other side of the fence and look and look again before you commit to change , i wish i took my own advice when i changed and bought new last year , make a list of the pros and cons and test drive untill you are sure because other people's point of view is subjective and not allways relevent to your needs

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
157 Posts
Mazda CX-5 as we used to have a Mazda 6 estate, but went with the Kia as the wife has wanted one for years

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
141 Posts
I looked at mazda cx5 - wasn't roomy enough for me. My sister has a Nissan xtrail - looks huge but I got a huge box in my sportage that wouldn't fit in hers. I liked the look of the Ford kuga but 3 were stolen in my village in the space of a week due to the keyless entry/start. I also didn't feel beefy enough for me when I sat In one. They feel like a smaller car when you're inside.

I liked the simplicity of the kia, normal handbrake, normal key start, excellent reliability scores for years, long warranty reliable engines (diesel at least) and it was the cheapest of all the options. I got my 2017 isg 2 with 85k miles for 8 grand. Needed a new syncro on 4th gear and clutch and flywheel. All got sorted under warranty with the seller (£2 grands worth of work) so I got a pretty good deal, certainly dosent drive or look like its done 85k and being diesel mileage dosent worry me too much.

It all depends on what suits your lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,692 Posts
We looked at Nissan Qashqai, but quickly dismissed because the boot space was dismal. Also considered a Hyundai Tuscon, but didn't like the interior all that much. Would have loved a VW Tiguan, but when we started to spec it the price shot up.
The Sportage fitted our needs and our pocket.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We looked at Nissan Qashqai, but quickly dismissed because the boot space was dismal. Also considered a Hyundai Tuscon, but didn't like the interior all that much. Would have loved a VW Tiguan, but when we started to spec it the price shot up.
The Sportage fitted our needs and our pocket.
Oh yes we looked at quashquai too. I wasn't impressed either with the boot space. Or the rate they snap timing belts. Sportage has a chain so that was another plus.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
As many years as a private owner and just as many as a company car driver i've had all sorts.
I wouldn't look at anything other than Ford as a young man, when I became a company car driver in my 30's, my eyes were opened to many marques, some of which were surprisingly good and others not so.

In 2012, a friend of mine came to work in a Sporatge.
I was impressed not only with the modern look, but the level of trim for the money.
When renewal time came around for me, I purchased a Sporatge.
This was a tough call as I would never have considered a Korean car, infact, prior to owning one, I'd always looked at the Kai brand to be somewhat lesser.

Well that was almost 10 years ago.
We are now on to our 4th Kia (2 X Sportage, 1 X Rio, 1 X stonic)

·
Registered
141 Posts
As many years as a private owner and just as many as a company car driver i've had all sorts.
I wouldn't look at anything other than Ford as a young man, when I became a company car driver in my 30's, my eyes were opened to many marques, some of which were surprisingly good and others not so.

In 2012, a friend of mine came to work in a Sporatge.
I was impressed not only with the modern look, but the level of trim for the money.
When renewal time came around for me, I purchased a Sporatge.
This was a tough call as I would never have considered a Korean car, infact, prior to owning one, I'd always looked at the Kai brand to be somewhat lesser.

Well that was almost 10 years ago.
We are now on to our 4th Kia (2 X Sportage, 1 X Rio, 1 X stonic)
I was the same. My dad always had vauxhalls when i was a kid, cavalier, carlton and an omega. He had a rover montego for about 6 months before it was stolen at work. So I naturally went for vauxhalls, I had a corsa, and astra and a vectra. All were pretty decent cars. But my uncle who was a mechanic said he started seeing alot of electrical issues on the newer vauxhalls. Practically made his living for the past 15 years just fault finding vauxhall electrical issues. I bought my sisters old seat altea 1.9tdi and drove that thing into the ground for about 7 years. It was a great car. The gearbox eventually gave out over the engine, possibly shortened due to me having a solid flywheel installed 5 years previous but who knows. I then got a cheap Ford fusion, another car my dad had and for a 15 year old car with 120k on the clock, I almost didn't buy the sportage as I loved it so much. A real work horse and for £800 it owed me nothing. I almost wish I'd kept it so I dont have to put dirty things in my sportage 😂

I always remember a work colleague buying the first of the newer shape 2010 era maybe sportages for about £26k and thinking. Ill never be able to own a car like that. I always loved the look and it was a no brained when I researched the reliability etc. Mine had issues when I got it. But these were all consumable wearable parts and the car had done 85k miles. I'm super happy with mine apart from the stone chips on the bonnet which i may get sorted at some point. Just done a trip to skegness for a few days and it never skipped a beat. Although I was a tad disappointed with the 47mpg it topped out at, however it was running the air con the whole way and the car was loaded. I really can't fault it. I wash the thing at least once a week 😂

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
but when we started to spec it the price shot up.
Biggest problem with a lot of brands.
Start of cheap, as soon as you start to add what you want. It becomes stupid, as in many cases to get one thing you want, you end up with a lot you don't.
Kia seem to have a good way of spec'ing the cars. Must make it easier & more cost effective production as well.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My sister has a Nissan xtrail - looks huge but I got a huge box in my sportage that wouldn't fit in hers.
the Nissan has apparently 565 liter bootspace vs 491 for the Sportage.
Will a standard dishwasher/ washing machine fit in a Sportage standing up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
the Nissan has apparently 565 liter bootspace vs 491 for the Sportage.
Will a standard dishwasher/ washing machine fit in a Sportage standing up?
I fit a washer in mine the other day laid down. It won't go stood up. I know the tech specs day it's bigger in the xtrail but it's really not. It's such an odd shape back there I can definitely fit more into mine. Especially large square boxes

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked at

Kia Proceed ( still love the shape of it but they were thin on the ground in diesel form when I was looking)

Dacia Duster ( Just seemed cheap inside and rear leg room was poor but other than that it was great)

Ford Kuga ( nearly went for it but when I saw the new shape one it made the old look dated, even though its not)

Nissan Quashqai ( it was this or the sporty when it finally came down to it and I went for the Sportage in the end)

I like my Sportage as it just seems more like a real life tonka toy when I am driving it. Its a bit of a jack of all trades master of none.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
2nd marriage for both of us. Mrs Axe likes her cars on the quick side; I prefer maximum space.
compromise was Xsara Picasso, then 2 Scenics but they got damaged parking on the street, next was C4 Picasso which we both loved. However when retiring to the country, first winter was deep snow, so agreed a 4x4 and the Sporty fitted the bill, plus excellent trade in deal.
3 years on, at MOT sales guy came up and said, "I know you like a deal, how about this for the facelift model?" Too good to refuse, and when that MOT came round he did another good deal, hence we are now on 3rd Sporty.
However, now thinking of replacing and checking whether to go full EV or wait another 3 years to see what's about then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts