Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is probably a dumb question but to be honest my new Kia Strikeis the first brand new car Iv'e everowned, all the rest were old bangers. What I would like to know please isit necessary to use an expensive motor oil or can I just keep using the cheap oil as I did with the bangers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Denny1
Use the recommended oil as in your documentation, you will not use much oil after the car has settled down.

I think mine has used a cupfull since new, now on 6000 miles.

It not cheap oil, but you do need to use the recommended oil to comply with the warrenty.

Bob.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So you spend thousands on a new car probably £10 on polish but object to spending £7 on a Lt of quality oil. allways used top quality oils especialy in a new car as it will pay dividends in the long term with fuel consumption and engine wear issues. we converted a local taxi firm from cheap oils in their Sedona fleet and they are getting 3-4 MPG extra and have two cars that have now done over 250,000 miles doing airport runs three times a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Viking Paul, bring it down a notch mate, I never said I objected to paying £7a LT for oil. Fact is I'm completely ignorant when it comes to engines hence I asked the question. I didn't want to pay out for expansive oil only to find out latter your only paying for the brand name. Now I know better I shan't cut corners. My hand book doesn't actully say what grade of oil to use, only make Shell Helix,it just gives you a chart with differant temperatures and grades and then leaves you to work it out for your self. From what I can see plus the advice from above a 5w30 seems to be the one to go for. Trouble is the gentleman above recommended 5w30 FULLY SYNTHETIC and I can only find 5w30SEMI SYNTHETIC. 10w40semi synthtic isn't on my hand bookchart.Any advice on this. Thanks for the help and patience. Edited by: Denny1

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Denny1

Believe Shell Helix is full synthetic, that is what the label on my engine states.

Bob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Firstly your owners hand book should state which oil you should be using, but I suggest that you should use a good quality oil that you can afford.

·
Registered
18 Posts
why not call into your dealer and get a litre from them
thats what i do and sometimes get it free
if i see the salesman

you can't imho beat clean good quality oil and filters

·
Registered
662 Posts
well said soul2 if you have a good dealer then they will advise you and may give you a top up and its always good to introduce yourself remember as dealers we are trying to keep your trade until you then buy the next car from us there are great deal at most dealers on service plans which allow you to fix the service costs at todays price and pay monthly for say the next three years this means your going to be 2.5% better of just on the VAT let alone the increase in oil prices and labour rates

1 - 11 of 11 Posts