Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, anybody have any ideas what sort of realistic MPG i should be getting from my KX3 2.0L Diesel 2011around town, i have been driving senceibly with my one year old son in the car, but the MPG doesnt seem to go over 19 Mpg, any ideas guys, if this seems low anything i can do to up it?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Have you done a brim to to brim fuel tank test or are you just relying on the trip computer for your figures?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
every time i fill the tank up from near enough empty and all im getting is 230ish miles to a full tank, yet i had a merc c180 estate 2005 1.8L Petrol and for a full tank in that i was getting 220 miles so maybe there might be something wrong with my Kia but not sure

·
Registered
153 Posts
That does sound poor. I'm averaging 26 on all kinds of driving (including some towing) with the 2l petrol engine - about 260 - 300 miles to the tank.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I average around 40mpg ( using the cars trip computer ) on my KX2 doing 45 miles a day to work and back with a mix of A roads and urban driving. Stick to the speed limits which range from 30 up to 70 on a short section of dual carrageway. Lots of hills too as I live in the Peak District. No complaints.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 2l diesel, 4000 miles. trip indicated 38 mpg.then filled tankto the neck twice, it worked out 42 mpg. amostof my returntrips are 12mls, country (45mph) others 50/60 mph dual carriageways. according to the car trip thingy i average 28mph. hope that helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dr Grimm...Your consumption seems excessive but it is difficult to say exactly what you should get as it depends on exactly what is involved in your drive around town. But it does sound too much. I have been getting 38.98 mpg over 7368 miles (with trip computer giving similar figures) but since the cold weather has arrived my average has dropped to about 30mpg which is directly linked to the engine taking too long to warm up (10 miles ormore) and shorter journeys recently.

Had the thermostat changed which resulted in warm air coming out of the heater earlier but no noticeable improvement in engine warm up time. Think it is a quirk of this model and I am intending to fit a sump heater to hopefully warm up engine and improve mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
37 - 38mpg but dropping in the cold. 10 mile country roads journey each way. 440 miles to a brimmed tank. Not what the brochure quotes ˜³

Prefers a longer run though!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Remember - the brochure figures are industry statistics that are produced under conditions that you can never hope to replicate in a million years. These "standard" conditions are used to produce these figures for all car manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
belgrave said:
Remember - the brochure figures are industry statistics that are produced under conditions that you can never hope to replicate in a million years. These "standard" conditions are used to produce these figures for all car manufacturers.
So true

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did a 350 mile trip with my caravan on the back last week mainly motorways and A roads and approx 60 mile town driving and short stop start trips up until today and the computer is showing 34 mpg, it was reset before I started off with the caravan because I was interested to see how much the cold weather ( -3 where we went to and +3 and below on the way) affected consumtion when towing which seems to be about 2-3 mpg . during the summer the computer seemed to always be between 36 - 42 not towing anddepending obviously on the type of roads but even a lot of short and town work seemed to return around 36 ish, but all this is from the computer not from fill ups so it could be out, having said that the computer on my previous ceed was dead on when i checked that on fill ups. BTW best I ever had out of the sportage was 44 mpg perfect conditions though 65mph on flat empty motorway and very light on the gas

SPORTAGE FE 2.0 DIESEL
Edited by: kiaman

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know the brochure figures are ideal conditions etc etc but it would be nicer if they reflected normal driving as that's what 99.9999% of us do˜³

To be fair I do try my best to get as much as I can out of my tank but I am only 46 and still get the urge to get going sometimes. It's all very well pooling around at 60 mph edging the mpg up but it all goes to pooh in towns.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I'm 64 and I must admit I enjoyed the snarl from the petrol engine on one of the few occasions I've hammered it to get past a bloke in a flat cap and Rover 214 on a country road. However, the lure of the mpg meter usually wins!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts