Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should generate a wee bit of interest. I would start it off but haven't had my Carens long enough.

State your engine size and what kind of M.P.G. you get motorway/urban or both.
Cheers....... Big Luigi.

P.S. When I've gubbed my tank I will let you know what I get, (but I freewheel a lot) Is that cheating lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
2.0 CRDi GS 7 Seat. 07/07 approx 32 MPG Combined.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi there.I have an 09/09 LS CRDI,auto, new on August 1st, now with 9000 miles on clock.
first month i only averaged around 38mpg but since I reset MPG meter last month am averaging around 45mpg, comprising town,rural and dual carriageway work, plus 600 miles last weekend in France mainly on motorways at 70mph + (well, a little bit!) I also keep a monthly mileage/fuel log and using basic maths this ties up with the on board computer.

Others on these forums have indicated that it takes a while for the Carens engine to bed in and my experience seems to fit in with this.As with all cars, the biggest fuel saver is a gentle right foot! I rarely have to push the accelerator hard, just let it build up to speed, stick the cruise control on and think ahead.

I'm quite happy with the consumption especially as my previous vehicle , Honda Shuttle, struggled to get to mid thirties on a long run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now, do the maths............I get about 75 mile a gall, on normal running around, and can do 90 mile a gall on a run. Before you all think I've been at the Christmas drinks.......my Carens 1.8 SE Auto, 2003, is converted to run on LPG. The price of which is 36p a litre, therefore I can buy 3 gall of gas for the cost of 1 gall of petrol...........think about it. The conversion was done when the car was only 12 months old, and has been excellent with no problems. Contra to popular belief, the car runs better on gas than it ever did on petrol, acceleration is like, (excuse the term), 'hot sh*t off a hot shovel'. Emissions are like zero compared to petrol & I save on road tax as LPG cars go down 2 levels on road tax. So I laugh all the way to the drinks cabinet......................Gasman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a new carens 2.0ltr. petrol. i have now done over 2000 miles my mpg is average 23mpg. the spec sheet says 34.9 combined. this is hugely innacurate,so i am taking this up with the company. if i get no joy i will take my complaint to trading standards

·
Registered
207 Posts
Davo, See my previous post above. I now have over 13,000 on the clock and the engine has nicely loosened up. My consumption is staying around 43/46 MPG (UK) depending on mix of runs. I reset my trip computer on first of each month and cross check against actual fuel consumed. However, my brother in law bought a new 2.0L petrol manual on 1st January and although he's only done 1500 miles so far he says he's getting around 34mpg with a mix of town and dual carriageway runs. Another friend has an 09 2.0l petrol and tows a caravan and he is getting around 28/30 when towing and 37/40 otherwise. It seems you need your vehicle checking as your figures seem very low.It is well known that KIA engines need around 10k miles to really bed in and from my experience it also greatly depends on your speed, an increase from say 60mph to 70mph greatly affects the consumption whether its deisel or petrol.I'm sure if Murphwiz sees this he'll confirm the fact that consumption gets better as the miles increase.

·
Registered
662 Posts
trading standards ah thats a first

as others have said you will get better consumption when the mileage increases and the engine loosens up

but have you checked the nut behind the wheel make sure thats not loose or you will have bad consumption issues

check out the hypermile istes for correct driving proceedures

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2004 2l CRDI auto. I get about 36 - 38 mpg on mixed driving town / motorway. What I find does make a difference every 5 - 6 weeks I fill up with diesel ultimate or equivalent depending on petrol station. My car runs a lot smoother and pick improves considerably

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't believe I started this thread and never posted my own
I'll partially put this down to forgetting my log-on details for about a year

Carens 2008 plate 2.0 CRDi I'm averaging 32-34mpg.

Edited by: Big Luigi

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mk2 2.0 diesel: Urban 30-32mpg, extra urban 44mpg.
Mk3 2.0 diesel: Urban 24mpg, extra urban 45mpg.

Bear in mind my Carens are used as cabs so a lot of stop start driving on the urban cycle.

The Mk3 dpf is pathetic, it says itcleans the emissions & helps the environment, NOT! At an extra 6+mpg on the urban cycle compared to a Mk2 how this canbe beneficial I'll never know!

·
Registered
56 Posts
kia carens crdi mk 2 2004 diesel/auto
local and short trips 40mpg longer trips 44-45mpg

my petrol vectra 1.8ls auto managed 35mpg around town and 40mpg on a run.

i think the kia is a lot more spacious/comfortable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my 2005 crtdi 2lt MANUAL TRANS returns about 37mph local 39/40 on a run speed about 70mph no different if i drive at 60mph so i dont!! im still looking for the 45mph it should be doing ? the engine has done 74000mls now and the gas readings were very good at MOT this month

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the winter I get around 35 this time of the year (early summer this year) 41/42. We live in the country and we have the complete cross section of terain.I always fill neck to neck when topping up. the car is a 2008GS CRDi. We have done 21000 miles the manual gear change has improved vastly

Cheers

Carens 08

·
Registered
207 Posts
2009 Carens diesel LS Auto. 40,000 miles.Monthly average in winter 38/41, in summer 42/44 but on weekends just running around town then get 36/37. Have a scanguage so can monitor average for each trip as well as using onboard computer for monthly average.Has been fairly consistent since about the 7/8K miles point.

Best ever average was 47.8mpg on trip down to Provence and back last September - 2800mile round trip.

Normal runs are mix of rural roads and dual carriageway, very little motorway, but then again rarely exceed 65mph ish.

Not the best but better than previous car - honda shuttle - but comfort and ride are ideal for me and my passengers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just calculated this morning and I did double checked, to my eyes, it`s still too low for me!

Carens 2 Litre CRDi Auto 7 Seater 2010.

On the clock, just under 25000 miles.

5 weeks driving and filling up later.

974 miles, 153 litres, £200 =
<h1>28.9016993464 MPG</h1>

But, I will keep calculating every month and I`m not pleased with that!

stevie
<h1>
</h1>

·
Registered
99 Posts
is it the scot in you ?seriously though if its local driving around town it wont be much better i read auto express weekly and sometimes im amaized just how bad their fuel returns are over a test period but then just because you know how to write dosent mean you know how to drive does it eh!!by my calculation i converted 153 to33.7gals =just what you said, i wonder how good it would go on BUCKY im off to heathrow on thursday drop the wife and her mate off then 5 days in the oxford area visiting i will check my MPH then although mine is manual [nice to get 45]

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the manual is the way to go.i wouldof been over the moon with 45 mpg.tried all driving teqniques,and the conclusion for me was the car was not siutable for my driving envrioment and useage.am driving crdi man soul now...around 40 in town,which is great for me..sveing 20/25 pounds a week compared to the carens[lscrdi auto 07]...but really miss it.particuly now with the good weather and the carting of the kids and stuff around......anyway good luck stin..and shame

Edited by: zumbie

1 - 20 of 39 Posts