Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just joined so hello to all ,
I have just brought a Bailey pageant Bordeaux 2008 model I a sure the weight all up is 1300kg
I am looking to buy a used sportage and was wondering what cc to go for as I can see 3 models 1.6-1.7and 2.0 around a 15 plate realistically. I believed that I would need the 2.0 diesel but am being told people tow these with the 1.6 diesel . ???! Help

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,040 Posts
I can't give advice on the 1.6 - 1.7 diesels, I've never had one, however as long as the weights are fine, you should be okay. Having said that, I would look at the bhp and try and get the higher spec. Also expect a bit more gear box work with the smaller engines.
All my most recent tow cars, Vauxhall and Kia have been with 2.0 litre engines, simply because they are less hassle when towing. Enough low end power and less gear changing makes for an easier tow. The other thing is future proofing, you may be tempted into a newer caravan, the bigger engine may allow for that without the need for a car change.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Having had 48 years of towing caravans I would go for 2 litre automatic. After last 22 years of autos will never go manual again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a diesel 1.7 Sportage, 1.6T petrol (2wd) Sportage and now have 2.0 diesel 4wd 48v.
The 2.0 litre is the most stable with the van 1550kg being a bit heavier than the others.
The 1.6T was OK but had to work the manual gearbox to get to speed and I found the backend a bit skittish in sidewinds.
Didn't tow with the 1.7 diesel but that was OK for normal driving.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given that 'Steveberks' posted only once and that was a month ago, I doubt that he will respond to the advice he has received in this thread.
Hi webslinger still here sorry for not replying sooner great advice looking at 15 plate 2.0 diesel later this week 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts