·
Registered
2,939 Posts

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
Or server has gone down.

"Tesla's app server went down a few hours ago, leading to a worldwide app outage that left owners unable to connect to their cars."
"The outage came shortly after the automaker rolled out an update to its application, which Electrek said includes a feature that Tesla had issues implementing."
Really bodes well for the future - next time it could lead to drivers being locked in their cars - the expanding dependence on the principal that Internet connectivity will always be present (and that SW updates will always work :cool:) is scary.

Edit: add ... and that mobile phones always work and batteries are not flat.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
I think it’s only scary in so far as we are not planning for failure very well and don’t have enough redundancy in the systems.
a server going down is a regular occurrence but normally you are unaware cause traffic is routed elsewhere. If you get locked in your car there’s the emergency cable in the boot so that’s not an issue.
if tomorrow there was a shortage of petrol… oh wait!!!
IMHO is not the reliance on technology that is the problem. It’s the lack of redundancy and alternative methods. If the only way to get in your car was keys and you only had one key and you lost it?
That’s why most cyclists carry not one but two rear lights, one rechargeable, the other running on commonly available batteries. And why we have two brakes: front and rear. And most of us carry spare parts including chain links, spare inner tubes, and emergency money all the time. We don’t leave the house if we don’t know we can be to a reasonable extent able to overcome most issues. Who is so silly to rely completely on a single way of entering the car?
Even if both ways relied on the internet surely they should be independent systems.
again it’s an engineering and design problem not a technological one.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Thankfully Kia are not that far advanced.

These problems are not just server related. It can be a bsd update that breaks things.

But all cars should have a backup key.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
It's technology for the sake of it as manufacturers have discovered it's cheaper and the buying public seem to love it. I've hired or had the use of several cars with keyless entries and dislike the system. Give me a key any day. I don't have to worry about cloning, software issues, hacking or keeping my key in Faraday bag. It's on my keyring and I press a button to open the door. I put the key in the lock, turn, and we're off. Simple, reliable, and it just works. No silly big buttons to press - it's not a Supermarine Spitfire - but that's what seems to sell these days.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
Even if both ways relied on the internet surely they should be independent systems.
again it’s an engineering and design problem not a technological one.
It fundamentally becomes a James Reason Swiss cheese issue.

My experience of complex interconnected systems is that the individual teams are very bad at knowing the holes in other teams systems products.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's technology for the sake of it as manufacturers have discovered it's cheaper and the buying public seem to love it. I've hired or had the use of several cars with keyless entries and dislike the system. Give me a key any day. I don't have to worry about cloning, software issues, hacking or keeping my key in Faraday bag. It's on my keyring and I press a button to open the door. I put the key in the lock, turn, and we're off. Simple, reliable, and it just works. No silly big buttons to press - it's not a Supermarine Spitfire - but that's what seems to sell these days.
I still remember the first time I bought a non-track car with a big red starter button. What a day, what a feeling. 🤣 So I can't completely agree with you but in general vendors do seem to equate complexity with value.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,471 Posts
I still remember the first time I bought a non-track car with a big red starter button. What a day, what a feeling. 🤣 So I can't completely agree with you but in general vendors do seem to equate complexity with value.
I remember the thrill of getting in dads car, putting the key in to switch on the ignition and pressing the Start button when ready to go - seemed so sophisticated. No bings, bongs, flashing check lights just the purr of a 6 cylinder in line engine :)

And range anxiety? Just flick the switch to the second fuel tank!

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
I remember the thrill of getting in dads car, putting the key in to switch on the ignition and pressing the Start button when ready to go - seemed so sophisticated. No bings, bongs, flashing check lights just the purr of a 6 cylinder in line engine :)

And range anxiety? Just flick the switch to the second fuel tank!
Thinking about it my first car had a start button. It was on the floor by the handbrake and you pressed it with your heel. Tiny key in the dashboard either on or off. 1966 Austin Mini Countryman. Nothings new is it? My Mini Cooper S had an extra fuel tank in the boot. No boot space mind....

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Thinking about it my first car had a start button. It was on the floor by the handbrake and you pressed it with your heel. Tiny key in the dashboard either on or off. 1966 Austin Mini Countryman. Nothings new is it? My Mini Cooper S had an extra fuel tank in the boot. No boot space mind....
I converted my mini to key start.. left that solenoid where it was and extended the cables to an ignition switch on the dash.. that was a how to in Car mechanics magazine by the way..

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
I converted my mini to key start.. left that solenoid where it was and extended the cables to an ignition switch on the dash.. that was a how to in Car mechanics magazine by the way..
Drifting off topic but I used to buy two magazines, Car Mechanics and Car and Car Conversions (Triple C). No Google or u-tube in those days!

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
385 Posts
And internet banking, payment by card, phone or whatever.
I still prefer cash mostly and always get a laugh when I see the 'cash only, no internet' on shop doorways. No queues at the tills though!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
That was quite normal with older cars Mr Mac :)
I thought it was an ok system.

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
474 Posts
I've yet to properly experience the auto dipping on my ceed and had it about 3 months. I tried it once on a dark road up from me and sure enough it came on, but a car appeared way up the road and they flashed me. My lights go so far that I think it didn't have a chance to see the car, but they certainly seen my led lights

1 - 20 of 21 Posts