Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turning another thread around, what is the worst fuel economy anyone can achieve out of their Rio ?

My last tank full worked out at 47mpg.

This involved working through the gears and and a heavy right foot.
I defiantly had use out of the turbo.

I have been driving like a saint recently and thought the next tank full would be used to blow the cob webs out.

Can anyone get any worse for their Rio, he he ?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My worst was 46mpg on Asda fuel. Although I've found it's very difficult to know when the tank is full, it all depends on the pump you're using, so you have to average over several fills. My best was 56mpg,but generally get 54mpg.The weird thing is, if you drive it like a saint or a sinner, it seems to make little difference to the mpg. Last week i was in Germany on the autobahn cruising at 90 and still got 50 mpg. I think there's something wrong with the computer coding on this model. Mine smokes a lot when you put your foot down...I think it's unburnt fuel as it's not black smoke. Does anyone know if Kia plan to update the firmware for the Rio?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.

So what is the best fuel then ?

I normally use Esso and get around 52mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never been one to work out mpg. Get 420-450 miles from a full tank (to red light). Mainly lead footed motorway miles. Have started using BP ultimate and find it feels smoother and more responsive. Also as it costs more am trying to keep the revs down. Diesel btw.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
After a bad result with Asda fuel, I've been using Shell. It was about the same price and you can get fuel vouchers with their loyalty card.

But as I said before, it's a very difficult car to work out it's mpg due to how the tank fills. This morning I kept filling slowly after the pump cut out and got another 7 litres into the tank! So for my drive to work today, it didn't drop belowthree quaters fulluntil well past 200 miles! My other half fills the car up and I only get 140 miles for the same indication.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was informed that the fuel consumption in my new Rio 1.4 wouldn't settle down until I had done between 2000 and 2500 miles. But I have to admit, I'm not seeing some of the problems some people are with fuel consumption.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Diddy, what kind of driving do you do, is it mostly urban or motorway?

On my last tank I got 51 mpg, sat at 70mph on the motorway for 460 miles. Pretty crap I think.

I was gettingabout 54 mpg beforethe first service. Car seemed to run a lot better after the service for the first 500 miles. Even the smoking under acceleration stopped. But now it's smoking again and the acceleration has dropped off again.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the airfilter. Has anyone ever tried a drop in K&N filter?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My driving was a mixture of town and motorway (not 70mph).

Heavy foot in every gear and I still could not get below 47mpg.

The best economy I have had is 56mpg with four passengers and luggage and the whole tank was motorway driving.

I am starting to build a picture of how the Rio likes to be driven now.
I can safely say they driving at 70mph will use less fuel than at 80mph. Sounds obvious but not always the case with tall gearing.
Not too sure if the fuel economy would be any better driving at 60mph though (I don't have enough time in my life to poodle at 60mph, it is just too boring).

Mashing my foot to the floor seems to be the best way to empty my wallet quicker.
Not sure if heavy acceleration in almost too high a gear really drops the figures.

These are just my thoughts after 27,000 miles now in the Rio.

As for the service, I have noticed the fuel economy tails off a little after a service then picks up again after a couple of tank fulls of fuel.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
157 Posts
I`ve now had a Rio,a Ceed and now a Soul. The power to weight ratio of the Rio was by far the best. 5O+ MPG with a heavy right foot is pretty damned good imo. THE 1.5 diesel is the best engine Kia makes,when the new model comes out I`ll be having a serious look at it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have hear it is set for sale in March 2012

other than that I have no details (even what it looks like).

Some details here :-

w w w.kia-world.net/index.php/2010/08/31/2011-kia-rio-ub-spy-shots/

hmm link doesnt paste properly, you would have to copy and paste the link into your web browser and then remove the spaces from the w w w.

hmm 140 bhp diesel in a Rio sounds nice.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
157 Posts
Davy- No official date but some magazine pundits reckon early 2012. a few spy shots are floating about but they don`t give much away.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
diddy1234 said:
I have hear it is set for sale in March 2012

hmm 140 bhp diesel in a Rio sounds nice.

Probably the same engine, with same tweak you can get from those boxes you can buy online... I've seen claims of 136bhp on their sites.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The link states it will be a 1.6l Diesel (same as Hyundai engine).
So drawing from this I suspect it is the same as the current 1.6l Diesel engines in the Ceed and Soul but just tweaked a little.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
140bhp diesel as standard goody goody. If you put a tuning box on that will give 165bhp plus another 50NM on the torque side. Smokin
, well the tyres will be. I think traction control might be a good thing. I'm off to book one now. Wooosh.
Kia might deliver it on time for once, well the've got plenty notice.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Getting this thread back on topic

So for my previous tank 51.3 mpg, 95 % driving at a constant 70 mph on the motorway and careful with acceleration etc.

Just refilled after some fairly sinful driving,plentyof full on acceleration etc and motorway cruising at 75. And the result? 50.9 mpg!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
70/80mph up the A9 to Inverness last time and I got 59mpg. About town 48mpg. 90miles to a £10 of diesel at 1.18p/litre. I'm happy with that and thats not driving like a saint.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Think I might have one reason why the fuel economy has dropped after the first service...

The hand brake had become slack, so I got them to adjust it. Today I jacked up the back of the car and span the wheels and found that the brakes were dragging!!

Booked in to get this sorted on Monday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
rio 2008 sport:
31 mpg at mo ( not been out of town )and most i've every got is 44 mpg its a 1.5 diesel so nowhere near kia figures . i do 48 miles a day on urban roads and its done 42000 . not impressive but if read other post no faith in kia dealers to fix

1 - 19 of 19 Posts